Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3 Farmers names.

• 13-02-2019 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

My brother in-law was called down to the barracks today as his renewal form on his 410 was incomplete. The FO went through the form with him and my inlaw said everything looks fine to me. whereupon he was told he needed to have 3 farmers names listed. The inlaw showed him the photocopy of his gun club card and said that was all he needed. The FO said no that he needed 3 farmers names even though he is in a club that was the new law. he gave him a form to bring back 3 names and also to bring to the gun club to be handed to all members who want to renew their licences this year. He asked about pistol club members and was told that even though they shot paper they would need 3 farmers names. I never heard of this new law and was wondering if any of you guys have?
    This was in Carlow town station.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

News to me..... All I ever needed was my club membership

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭outinthefields

Same here and I did 2 renewals before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Another made up law. Ask him to show it to you or ask him to send that request to you in writing. He might soon forget about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

From the Garda Website:
    Q. If I am a member of a game or other gun club, do I need to also provide
    written permission from two landowners?

A. No. But an issuing person may require further information from an applicant re
    land permission when assessing an applicant’s ‘Good Reason’ to have the firearm. However
    this requirement may be fulfilled by virtue of the applicant being a member of a game or
    other gun club and such club having designated land or lands to shoot on. Section 5.2 applies
    only to circumstances where an applicant is applying for a limited certificate, which is still provided
    for under the Wildlife Acts.
    I highlighted the important part, but take note that they may request further information however that is down tot he Super, not the FO.

Must try and find out where it says two are even required. I cannot remember if this is another "100 acre" thing like with the NPWS.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

pm. wrote: »
    News to me..... All I ever needed was my club membership

It’s different if you have club rights. The club itself has rights to land and therefore you have the rights when you’re a member. Those of us who do not want or need to join a club need farmers permission.
    3 farmers is new to me. I only ever needed one farmer because he has so much land. I was told however that if the land is under 100acres that another farmer permission is required.
    But never needed two farmers as one has plenty of land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

My gun club card(s) was always good enough. I'd ask to see this ''new'' law in writing

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭peteshamrock

Garda Firearms Policy Unit in Phoenix park,Dublin at (01) 6661911 ,give them a ring. At least you will get a definitive answer to all questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

I only renewed one of my licences last week and gun club card was enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

There seems to be a bit case of " sure I'll make this up as I'm going along sure what the **** do you know Gob****e" doing the rounds.

Two lads up our way hitting problems one was refused a 17hmr suppressor.

There seems to be a bit case of " sure I'll make this up as I'm going along sure what the **** do you know Gob****e" doing the rounds.

Two lads up our way hitting problems one was refused a 17hmr suppressor.

I’ll be applying for a .22 cz next week when I get a few bob together and it has a suppressor on it. It’s first time I’ll be applying for a rifle with a suppressor as my .223 doesn’t have one. I wonder will I run into problems on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

zeissman wrote: »
    I only renewed one of my licences last week and gun club card was enough.

Same, Same and also with a recent substitution.

As a club Secretary I've had to issue more and more confirmation of memberships with lads telling me it wasn't required previously.

I’ll be applying for a .22 cz next week when I get a few bob together and it has a suppressor on it. It’s first time I’ll be applying for a rifle with a suppressor as my .223 doesn’t have one. I wonder will I run into problems on it.

Appoliagies for off topic, but any bit may help;

This is what I use for my app for a .22 mod, (I have slightly different one for centre fires) normally I have the details of the rifle as a reference header below my address and that of the Garda Station.

I wish to apply for permission to hold and use a sound suppressor due to the following reasons:

1. Health and Safety -
    To prevent hearing damage to me and others. To be aware of what and who is around me when hunting in the “field” and to be able to hear people giving me instructions and warnings. Hearing protection is not an option under these conditions. Using a variety of .22LR ammunition such as low, standard and high velocity exposes individuals to sound levels ranging from 142-151 dBA which is above the recognised threshold of 140 dB where hearing can be permanently damage.

2. Public Safety and Peace-
    To reduce the noise pollution to the public and wildlife in the area if they are within hearing distance of shots being fired as I have shooting permission on lands where this possibly could happen. On occasion the night shooting of vermin (rabbits) is needed the use of a sound suppressor will reduce the noise pollution to the public and wildlife.

3. Due Care and Consideration for Livestock and Horses-
    I have permission to shoot on lands for the control of vermin (rabbits, grey crows) where livestock and horses are kept and a non sound suppressed firearm being fired will startle and frighten the livestock, horses and other animals in the area, which could result in loss and death of unborn animals. The sounds of un-moderated shooting can stampede the horses that could result in severe injury to others or the horses themselves, a sound suppressor is required on these occasions.

I hope I have outlined the reasons why I require a sound moderator.

Regards

Cookie....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Add on of equipment designed to be used outdoors. Directive 2000/14/EC
    EU directives of abating noise at source on all mechanical devices.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

It’s different if you have club rights. The club itself has rights to land and therefore you have the rights when you’re a member. Those of us who do not want or need to join a club need farmers permission.
    3 farmers is new to me. I only ever needed one farmer because he has so much land. I was told however that if the land is under 100acres that another farmer permission is required.
    But never needed two farmers as one has plenty of land.

I understand that,but the OP did say his inlaw is a member of a GC hence my response...

Appoliagies for off topic, but any bit may help;

This is what I use for my app for a .22 mod, (I have slightly different one for centre fires) normally I have the details of the rifle as a reference header below my address and that of the Garda Station.

I wish to apply for permission to hold and use a sound suppressor due to the following reasons:

1. Health and Safety -
    To prevent hearing damage to me and others. To be aware of what and who is around me when hunting in the “field” and to be able to hear people giving me instructions and warnings. Hearing protection is not an option under these conditions. Using a variety of .22LR ammunition such as low, standard and high velocity exposes individuals to sound levels ranging from 142-151 dBA which is above the recognised threshold of 140 dB where hearing can be permanently damage.

2. Public Safety and Peace-
    To reduce the noise pollution to the public and wildlife in the area if they are within hearing distance of shots being fired as I have shooting permission on lands where this possibly could happen. On occasion the night shooting of vermin (rabbits) is needed the use of a sound suppressor will reduce the noise pollution to the public and wildlife.

3. Due Care and Consideration for Livestock and Horses-
    I have permission to shoot on lands for the control of vermin (rabbits, grey crows) where livestock and horses are kept and a non sound suppressed firearm being fired will startle and frighten the livestock, horses and other animals in the area, which could result in loss and death of unborn animals. The sounds of un-moderated shooting can stampede the horses that could result in severe injury to others or the horses themselves, a sound suppressor is required on these occasions.

I hope I have outlined the reasons why I require a sound moderator.

Regards

Cookie....

That’s really helpful mate. Thanks very much.

That’s really helpful mate. Thanks very much.

...no bother, I got some of the nformation from the forum, but you know how some of the threads just get lost in time...

Garda Firearms Policy Unit in Phoenix park,Dublin at (01) 6661911 ,

Anyone ever notice the irony of that phone number??:P:D

Must try and find out where it says two are even required. I cannot remember if this is another "100 acre" thing like with the NPWS.

Cant find anything in the acts about this either... Looks like makey up law, [??]that has been around since the 1970s and now became standard practice.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Anyone ever notice the irony of that phone number??:P:D

Cant find anything in the acts about this either... Looks like makey up law, [??]that has been around since the 1970s and now became standard practice.

The 666 part or the 911

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

The 666 part or the 911

I'd assumed the 1911 part!

Both really. So the antichrist likes 1911s then?:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Cass wrote: »
    From the Garda Website:

I highlighted the important part, but take note that they may request further information however that is down tot he Super, not the FO.

You forgot to underline the very important word "may".

The line about the pistol though would be a Garda demanding that you produce three bags of nonsense.

The only acceptable justification for having a pistol is target shooting and as we all know that can't be done outside an approved range and as far as I know not too many working farms double up as approved pistol ranges.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Funny how when I mentioned in previous posts a month ago about the land permission and farmers rules for licensing where changing due to ne guidelines being published, the establishment on here jumped down my throat telling me “oh that cant happen” etc etc etc.
    Stop mincing your words and just spit it out FFS.

The establishment you are referring to is me, and the thread you are referring to is this one where you said your FO told you some things, and you were "Led to believe".

I stated that the law hasn't changed and the position/post of FO doesn't exist within AGS so the face at the window can have whatever opinions they want. All they need to do is stamp the form and send it up for consideration.
    well here we are folks.
    No we're not.
    Maybe if lads in here were a bit more open minded about what potentially a garda interpretation of the guidelines could be when your standing face to face
    It may be being tried in a couple of stations but it's not endemic and still not a legal requirement.

Yes they can ask for more information, the Super, but things like saying someone MUST be a member of a gun club and private permissions are no longer accepted is illegal.
    with them rather than belittling a lad for giving his opinion ...........
    The facts don't care about your feelings.

If your argument had any legal basis it'd stand up on its own and not require you to play the victim card because "someone was mean to you".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement