Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Semi Auto Shotgun

• 11-02-2019 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Looking for a few recommendations and a bit of info.

Anyone here a lefty and shoot a right handed semi auto shotgun? Any issues with gasses and powder in the eyes?

Cant source a semi auto within my budget in left hand.

So for a right handed one:

600 max budget
    New or second hand
    Chokes
    30" barrel
    Not bothered about a few marks if the gun is shooting well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

I'm left handed, have a right handed beretta urika s/a. Never any issue to me, I wear glasses shooting clays but not when out hunting. The only issue you may find awkward is the safety on some semi-autos may not suit lefties. Its not an issue on the urika as the safety can be reversed but I had a beretta xtrema and it couldnt be reversed so I sold it on again as I couldnt get used to it.
    €700 would buy my urika if you're looking;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I'm left handed, have a right handed beretta urika s/a. Never any issue to me, I wear glasses shooting clays but not when out hunting. The only issue you may find awkward is the safety on some semi-autos may not suit lefties. Its not an issue on the urika as the safety can be reversed but I had a beretta xtrema and it couldnt be reversed so I sold it on again as I couldnt get used to it.
    €700 would buy my urika if you're looking;)

I had a mossberg pump action that was right handed, I got used to the safety on that fairly quick.

Hmm, Pm me some pics

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Utter lefty myself.
    Have been shooting pump and right-handed semi shotguns and rifles all my life with no bother. If you are getting powder or flashback, there is something, I personally think, with the gun itself, not you. Possibly a too short a stock.
    But then again at 6'4" I have owned and shot a Chinese MAK,90 Ak where the stock on those are literally the size of a toy gun to most Europeans, without any powder flash, and your face is about 4ins from the ejection port!:D

So for 600 lids,there is a choice aplenty out there.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

garv123 wrote: »
    I had a mossberg pump action that was right handed, I got used to the safety on that fairly quick.

Top tang safties are a plus if you are a left hooker on any gun.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Top tang safties are a plus if you are a left hooker on any gun.

Have it on my browning x-bolt .243, brilliant for us superior lefties :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Lefty myself. Have had shotguns since I was 14. I only recently got my first left handed one after about 15 years. Bought an M2 LH and its a great piece of gear. Would be for sale if you came up with a few more quid :D

Went back to an O/U and its more natural to me. I have shot a few R/H semis and never bothered me. In fact even a LH semi will throw gases in your eye . Plenty of decent semis in the UK for those bobs

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

I was back in Irish shooting sports today and spotted this

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

Conchurl wrote: »
    I was back in Irish shooting sports today and spotted this

Here is a pic of the tag on the gun

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

God u lefties have it handy Im a rightie who shoots leftie. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Wadi14 wrote: »
    God u lefties have it handy Im a rightie who shoots leftie. lol

Dominant eye problems or something else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

Conchurl wrote: »
    Here is a pic of the tag on the gun

Akkar Altay are build in Turkey.

When they came out first there were many problems with firing lighter loads - wouldn't recycle.

They seem to have sorted that problem out and haven't heard of any issues now.

I had a friend who had one and never had any problems - but he only used it with heavy loads for fox & duck.

He used his O/U for pheasant / snipe / woodcock etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Dominant eye problems or something else

Yes my left eye is my dominant eye, right one is a lot weaker, started of shooting rifles with open sights and cant close the left eye on its own even if I had wanted to, so shoot everything of the left shoulder. Im right handed but when it comes to shooting long guns im left handed lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

garv123 wrote: »
    Looking for a few recommendations and a bit of info.

Anyone here a lefty and shoot a right handed semi auto shotgun? Any issues with gasses and powder in the eyes?

Cant source a semi auto within my budget in left hand.

So for a right handed one:

600 max budget
    New or second hand
    Chokes
    30" barrel
    Not bothered about a few marks if the gun is shooting well

i am right handed and shoot left shoulder for the past 40+ years, always shot right handed semi autos,i have just purchased a new right handed beretta,never had a issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

I've a left handed Benelli Montrefeltro .
    I find it a great gun - handles like an O/U

I've shot s/s, O/U pump action and semi in right-hand version.

I now have 2 shotguns & rifle in left hand.

If I were to buy and was left handed then I'd buy a left handed gun.

You buy usually to keep for a long time so I'd buy a good make that suited me in left hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'm a true ambidex.

I'm equally mediocre with either eye.

Id give my right hand to be ambidex.:P

Advertisement