Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to Christmas FM!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I just wanted to say well done to Ronan, all the presenters and other behind the scenes volunteers who work so hard in addition to their day jobs and lives to bring Christmas FM to us every year and raise money for deserving charities. I'll be listening in daily and sending a few texts your way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The look on my 12 year-old son’s face when he got in the car after school yesterday to hear a Christmas song on the radio. He just said ‘Christmas FM?’ with the biggest smile. Priceless!

Thanks to all! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Listening to ChristmasFM here this afternoon :D

Ronan, when you do a shift on the station are you generally working alone or would there be 2 or 3 people there at a time? I'd imagine it's lots of fun if there are a few of you there per show/shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Had the station on in the car coming home today, it's grand to hear a bit of xmas music and it's for a very worthy cause.

I thought this one AMA thread where there couldn't possibly be someone whinging.

I was wrong.

• Company Representative Posts: 80 Verified rep ChristmasFM: Ronan

miamee wrote: »
    Ronan, when you do a shift on the station are you generally working alone or would there be 2 or 3 people there at a time? I'd imagine it's lots of fun if there are a few of you there per show/shift.

So I'll stretch this one out to explain how the station runs a bit more and then answer your question too.

Morning shows, Afternoon and drive time on week days tend to have several people working on that specific show. The presenter, someone doing traffic and helping with texts, competitions etc. Some folks do co-presented shows where they bounce off each other.

During the day there is a team working in the office, planning promotions, off sites - which you can see through the glass window in the Studio.

I'm only doing one show a week and then will cover shows last minute if someone is sick or not able to meet the schedule (and i get asked to by the station manager Dan). My show is a Friday evening at 7pm, The chat is less than you'd expect in the morning and its more about up beat music - I'm picturing people getting ready to go out, putting up the Christmas Tree with the kids etc. So for my show its a lot quieter. Presenters aren't permitted to bring in friends or distractions as once you are on air, loads of people ask can they sit in on the show - that wouldn't effect the more seasoned presenters but I do find it distracting and the management can usually tell when someone isn't fully engaged.

• Advertisement

I'm on air at the moment, To prove it isn't just an act... and to infuriate those who think decorating in November is too much... Check out the radio Attire.

Ths-Suit.jpg

IMG_9601-2-e1543609705259.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

How many songs do you have on the database?

How many songs do you have on the database?

This made me laugh, reminds me of when i used to be a nightclub DJ and people would ask for a song and you'd be polite and say you didn't have it (sometimes i wouldn't have it other times it would be a dance music club and they'd be asking for an inappropriate song or your doing a Wedding and they want you to play I hate you so much right now by Kellis or Your so Vain and dedicate it to the Bride). Then they'd say - we'll I've X thousand songs on my iPod or you can play it off Youtube :D

I'll answer this question in a round about way again. We build a team, delegate and then that person is responsible for getting everything they need to make it happen. The Top Dog in Star DJs is one of the Founders of Christmas FM.

logo.png

Star DJs is the biggest provider of Professional DJs in Ireland so we are really lucky to have him. As a result we have access to almost every song imaginable and if we didn't they'd have access to get in touch with the record labels and ask for them or just buy them online if they are released - yes that's often how DJs get their music, just like everyone else. Getting the songs isn't the problem, its choosing which ones are suitable for each of the 5 stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Have you really pulled Baby, it's cold outside from your playlist as per a thread on another forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

eviltwin wrote: »
    Have you really pulled Baby, it's cold outside from your playlist as per a thread on another forum?

I’d really like to know the answer to this too please v

• Advertisement

Editing a previous post following as this is becoming a bigger issue than it needs to be - boycotts etc are too far.

Rather than my opinion here's what has happened - the song wasn't popular and we didn't get text requests for it. The song didn't make the cut after 2016 and it wasn't noticed till now when a Journalist pick up that the content was controversial. 20 songs were dropped for this years playlist and used that space to add 20 new songs that he felt was more appropriate. Radio stations rotate songs all the time.

Yep its true.

I'll be honest. I'm completely against this - primarily because i have fond memories of the song and like the tune. To me, if gender neutral, it would be like me asking a friend to stay in the Pub so we can enjoy one more Christmas pint. Just in times gone by.

However I've seen and been on the end of the complaints last year we got on this. My personal opinion (and not that of ChristmasFM's) is that it's #MeToo movement incorrectly interpreted.

The Official thinking here is that we'll be open to playing an updated version of this song if someone was to modernise it to not be a male asking a female to reconsider and make it more relevant / easier to explain to kids who listen. Thats not Pro-Feminism in my opinion, but we've loads of other amazing songs we can play and its just not worth the hassle or our focus.

However i've been on the end of dealing with a person who had a different opinion on this and understand if this was a brand new song its topic wouldn't sit right. That there are lines in it, not in the spirit of Christmas FM. After a while of explaining logic and trying to bring the person around to respecting times gone by, one just gives up and agrees to agree to differ move on. We don't want the focus taken away from Temple Street Children's hospital.

As you can see form past posts on this thread, some people, even those that wouldn't listen, donate or be the target audience of ChristmasFM have very passionate opinions on what we should do and what others should or shouldn't be hearing.

Would love to hear everyone else's opinion on if this song should be play listed?

Thanks for your honest response to this. For me, this is a step too far and though I really enjoyed and supported your station for a number of years I’m out. When people start pandering to this sort of stuff it really pi$$es me off. I see a song that has absolutely no malice in it yet the eternally offended win again. Christmas FM will be removed from my radio presets.

Yep its true.

I'll be honest. I'm completely against this - primarily because i have fond memories of the song and like the tune. To me, if gender neutral, it would be like me asking a friend to stay in the Pub so we can enjoy one more Christmas pint. Just in times gone by.

However I've seen and been on the end of the complaints last year we got on this. My personal opinion (and not that of ChristmasFM's) is that it's #MeToo movement incorrectly interpreted.

The Official thinking here is that we'll be open to playing an updated version of this song if someone was to modernise it to not be a male asking a female to reconsider and make it more relevant / easier to explain to kids who listen. Thats not Pro-Feminism in my opinion, but we've loads of other amazing songs we can play and its just not worth the hassle or our focus.

However i've been on the end of dealing with a person who had a different opinion on this and understand if this was a brand new song its topic wouldn't sit right. That there are lines in it, not in the spirit of Christmas FM. After a while of explaining logic and trying to bring the person around to respecting times gone by, one just gives up and agrees to agree to differ move on. We don't want the focus taken away from Temple Street Children's hospital.

As you can see form past posts on this thread, some people, even those that wouldn't listen, donate or be the target audience of ChristmasFM have very passionate opinions on what we should do and what others should or shouldn't be hearing.

Would love to hear everyone else's opinion on if this song should be play listed?

I don't think you should have removed it but I can understand why you did if you'd had complaints. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't so I feel for you, it's a tough call to make but ultimately it's about the charity and if taking it off the playlist means more focus on Temple Street then fair enough.

I'm still going to listen and support the work cause the kids who will benefit are what really matters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Thanks for your honest response to this. For me, this is a step too far and though I really enjoyed and supported your station for a number of years I’m out. When people start pandering to this sort of stuff it really pi$$es me off. I see a song that has absolutely no malice in it yet the eternally offended win again. Christmas FM will be removed from my radio presets.

Rather than ignoring the station which does bring fantastic joy and excitement to my household full of kids, I'd challenge the people of Ireland to fight back against this a bit. Simply put, ask people if they will put their money where their mouth is. If the song is played, donate with a text. If people want the PC thing to end, making the song that someone complained about the highest earning jingle would make it very hard for Christmas FM to justify removing.

At the end of the day, we're trying to earn money for charity. That's the goal to move towards in my mind. Even if they just scheduled it once, gave a bit of notice so people could plan for it and then boom, get a win against PC madness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Im happy its gone. Its a weird song that makes me personally feel uncomfortable. When I listen to Christmas FM I want to feel happiness and sentiment with my children. Not feeling "a bit ewwwww....inappropriate". I don't like hearing about being cajoled or convinced into situations I don't like. It spoils my mood.

There are loads of great Christmas songs, and I don't want this one to get as much attention as it does, so Im delighted I will hear it less and less.

I'm really loving some of the tunes I have heard so far this year!

Fair, but what I'd say is that either way these people win. Damned if you do, and Damned if you don't. By boycotting the station the station our charity partners like temple street suffer. So I'd ask maybe listen occasionally and other times listen to the songs like this that aren't on the playlist that you love on Spotify, YouTube or Other stations.

We've started 5 stations trying to keep strangers happy. Its so easy to upset people when you do anything that sometimes it's easiest just to do nothing. But we'll continue to try our best and make the best choices we can given the information presented to us at the time.

RedXIV wrote: »
    Rather than ignoring the station which does bring fantastic joy and excitement to my household full of kid, I'd challenge the people of Ireland to fight back against this a bit. Simply put, ask people if they will put their money where their mouth is. If the song is played, donate with a text. If people want the PC thing to end, making the song that someone complained about the highest earning jingle would make it very hard for Christmas FM to justify removing.

At the end of the day, we're trying to earn money for charity. That's the goal to move towards in my mind. Even if they just scheduled it once, gave a bit of notice so people could plan for it and then boom, get a win against PC madness :)

Actually this is a very good idea. I’m just frustrated about how pc this whole world is gone and how we have to pander to the whims of people who seem to just look for ways of being offended. I’m very charitable and do make a decent donation each year so I’d be very happy to donate with a text if they play the song. Maybe they could try this to see what people think. Thing is now I’ll have to keep tuned in to see if they will do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SingleMalt

RedXIV wrote: »
    Rather than ignoring the station which does bring fantastic joy and excitement to my household full of kid, I'd challenge the people of Ireland to fight back against this a bit. Simply put, ask people if they will put their money where their mouth is. If the song is played, donate with a text. If people want the PC thing to end, making the song that someone complained about the highest earning jingle would make it very hard for Christmas FM to justify removing.

Great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

That song pushed boundaries when it was released - unmarried men and women couldn't stay together due to moral constraints at that time.

Sadly, it is no longer religious elders or prudes who act as if they are our moral guardians, it is the politically correct left. Very sad and terrible decision on your part, I was always a big fan of your great radio station before this. Great charity you are supporting by the way, really sad again that you would go down this road.

I'd be curious to know how many complaints you got. Is it really fair that a few dry****es spoil it for the rest of us?

• Advertisement

Fair, but what I'd say is that either way these people win. Damned if you do, and Damned if you don't. By boycotting the station the station our charity partners like temple street suffer. So I'd ask maybe listed occasionally and other times listen to the songs like this that aren't on the playlist that you love on Spotify, YouTube or Other stations.

We've started 5 stations trying to keep strangers happy. Its so easy to upset people when you do anything that sometimes it's easiest just to do nothing. But we'll continue to try our best and make the best choices we can given the information presented to us at the time.

I get what you’re saying but the truth is that this will just be the start of it. You can be guaranteed that next year people will find more songs to be offended by and the pc brigade will keep calling the shots. I’m disappointed that the station caved on this. I wonder what percentage of your listeners have no objection to the song. Perhaps it’s time for a poll.

I get what you’re saying but the truth is that this will just be the start of it. You can be guaranteed that next year people will find more songs to be offended by and the pc brigade will keep calling the shots. I’m disappointed that the station caved on this. I wonder what percentage of your listeners have no objection to the song. Perhaps it’s time for a poll.

Well over 90% would not want it banned I would wager. The loudest 5% are the left wing prudes and yet they keep getting their way. Even our idiot politicians mistake a few of them getting outraged on Twitter with public opinion and bow to their increasingly insane demands.

I'd be curious to know how many complaints you got. Is it really fair that a few dry****es spoil it for the rest of us?

As far as i know the song wasn't played last year at all and it didn't make the cut the last year or this year. No one missed it or requested it last year. Songs get added and dropped all the time on radio stations.

As far as i know the song wasn't played last year at all and it didn't make the cut the last year or this year. No one missed it or requested it last year. Songs get added and dropped all the time on radio stations.

You could have said that it didn't make the playlist then and avoided any of this discourse. Instead, Christmas FM pointedly politicised it by mentioning the #metoo movement etc in an attempt to appeal to the tiny number offended by the song. You have got the publicity you wanted anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

So you can text in a dedication which costs €2 Text XMAS followed by a space and then your message to 50300. The proceeds go directly to Temple Street or visit our website and make a donation there:

https://www.templestreet.ie/Christmasfm/

Hey Ronan. Station is great as usual and weve both been texting in to support Temple street. However neither of our dedications were read out- we did receive the confirmation text saying that we had donated.. The kids wanted to hear their names being read out on the radio so a bit disappointed they weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Pc brigade snowflakes are ruining Christmas now as well. Crazy the amount of pressure these sad individuals have.

You could have said that it didn't make the playlist then and avoided any of this discourse. Instead, Christmas FM pointedly politicised it by mentioning the #metoo movement etc in an attempt to appeal to the tiny number offended by the song. You have got the publicity you wanted anyway.

Agree with this point. Like everyone here I was reacting to a click bait article I read this evening said we dropped it for a particular reason - which turns out wasn't true and hadn't sat well with me so I gave my personal opinion since it's an Ask Me Anything Thread. To be clear, I said I didn't agree with the complaints influencing play list choice. It seems like many people here agree with that point of view and some people also pointed out they weren't a fan of the song - which was our finding when we rotated it off the play list in favour of songs requested more poplar songs for our 2017 playlist.

Would be great if we could drop this click bait news article discussion now that its been found to be fake news and click bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

Ronan can you tell us how many people complained? I bet its less than five.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

What is the actual issue people have with the song??? It's just one person trying to convince another person to stay longer ffs!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

dinnybyrne wrote: »
    Ronan can you tell us how many people complained? I bet its less than five.....
    Probably one snow flake. And then as is usual with them told a few other snowflakes to do similar. Sad!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement