Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coillte Biking Blitz - newbie questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

So with the events looming closer any tips or tricks for someone doing their first blitz ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭prunudo

Peter T wrote: »
    So with the events looming closer any tips or tricks for someone doing their first blitz ?

Had planned to go up to Ballinastoe at the weekend but the snow put an end to that. Just have to hope for the best now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Enjoy it, there's nothing to shock or surprise you, let the roadies off up the hill and just enjoy the descents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Give it everything at the start. In Balinastoe, unless your in the first 10-20% of riders when you get to the first bit of singletrack, then there's probably gonna be a big queue when you get there where you'll lose a lot of time. If you're capable of a good time overall then losing time here will hamper you. If you end up ahead of people that are actually faster than you, then they'll have plenty of time to pass you after the first trail. So basically, there's nothing to lose by trying to get as good of a start as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Front of the grid or a close as starting out and stick to the right/left as them younglads/ladies will fly by!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

Best of luck all, I'm gutted to be missing the event

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Can you sign up on the day or do you have to do it in advance?

coach22 wrote: »
    Can you sign up on the day or do you have to do it in advance?

Probably best to message or ring them. Doesn't say on website only that registration is between 9.30 and 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Shotgun Sister

You can enter on the day, but have to pay a €5 surcharge.

I've done loads of these races. They're a lot of fun. (Afterwards, obvs!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

It's a mass start race so if you're slow starting you'll get stuck behind everyone else once you reach the first descent. Nothing worse than the roadies passing you out on the hill climbs and then holding you up on the descents! If you're not doing it to win/place, then just have fun.
    jvan wrote: »
    Had planned to go up to Ballinastoe at the weekend but the snow put an end to that. Just have to hope for the best now.

There nothing at all to worry about. Ballinastoe Coillte trails are as beginner friendly as you can get. I did Ballinastoe on a hybrid with slick tyres and rim brakes (in the lashing rain) before I started mountain biking - wasn't pleasant but was still doable.

• Advertisement

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    It's a mass start race so if you're slow starting you'll get stuck behind everyone else once you reach the first descent. Nothing worse than the roadies passing you out on the hill climbs and then holding you up on the descents! If you're not doing it to win/place, then just have fun.

There nothing at all to worry about. Ballinastoe Coillte trails are as beginner friendly as you can get. I did Ballinastoe on a hybrid with slick tyres and rim brakes (in the lashing rain) before I started mountain biking - wasn't pleasant but was still doable.

Its more my fitness that is a concern rather the course. As you say though, its all about enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

So? Anyone go to Round 1?

Top Dog wrote: »
    So? Anyone go to Round 1?

Up here now, adult races aren't until one o'clock but a good crowd around already. Dry day, mixture of sun/cloud and about 4c.

Up here now, adult races aren't until one o'clock but a good crowd around already. Dry day, mixture of sun/cloud and about 4c.

You did really well in your cat! Nice work.

You did really well in your cat! Nice work.

I'd say you're mixing me up with somebody else. I was happy enough where i finished but wouldn't did really well! Learnt a few lessons for next year, namely get closer to the front for the start, use a hardtail and get better at climbing!

At least I meet the hardtail criteria in that list

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'd say you're mixing me up with somebody else. I was happy enough where i finished but would say did really well! Learnt a few lessons for next year, namely get closer to the front for the start, use a hardtail and get better at climbing!
    Curious, so sorry for asking, but why would you favour a hardtail?

Top Dog wrote: »
    Curious, so sorry for asking, but why would you favour a hardtail?

My shock doesn't lock out fully so I'm loosing a lot of energy through the linkage on the climbs. It would be lighter too. But in reality if I want improve my times I need to get out more regularly and practice, practice, practice climbing.
    In saying all that, the blitz is more of a cross country event and I prefer the single track stuff so will probably give the enduros a go later in the year.

I'd say you're mixing me up with somebody else.

Was that not you in 68th? It was a gigantor field of 125 this year, I'd be delighted with that, particularly if you were worried about your fitness. Also, the baggy shorts cat is full of bangers who should be doing super pro.

Defo get up the front for the start next year, it's all about getting into the singletrack first and not getting stuck in the queues.... or behind a roadie. :D Climbing is essential, alright. It's where I make up all my time. A hardtail would not be my bike of choice, personally, but hey. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Hardtail XC bikes are only for the top guys and girls.. for anyone with average or less fitness then a short travel full suss will be the best choice by Far!

• Advertisement

Yeah, maybe I have it wrong about the hardtail, i do like the full suss, just in my head was thinking you're loosing a good bit a pedal power to linkage movement rather than putting it into the rear tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

On a tech climb a full suss is better as the wheels track the terrain better wasting less energy.

Ballinstoe isn't that technical since it was re-amoured, plus it's not a long time in the saddle so a xc Hardtail would be a pretty good choice.

I can only remember 1 single-track climb, the big one where you turn left when you have the view of the reservoir on your right. The rest is all fire road climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

I really think for ballinastoe coillte trails hardtail is the way to go. The descents are fairly smooth, so you fly down then on a hardtail, and I need every bit of help I can get on the climbs. Fair play to all who competed today, it's great to hear that the entries are well up.

Yeah, maybe I have it wrong about the hardtail, i do like the full suss, just in my head was thinking you're loosing a good bit a pedal power to linkage movement rather than putting it into the rear tyre.

If your FS bike is bobbing along like that then it's the suspension setup that needs adjusting, change the air pressure, rebound, damping settings etc.

I've been around B'Stoe on a carbon 29er HT and a heavier FS and the Fully is faster..It may not be the rockiest bunch of trails around but there's enough to make the FS more efficient in traction and saving your back, legs and arms from the fatigue of having to absorb all the bumps...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

First blitz for me today. Really enjoyed it. Started too far back and got caught in traffic, but still finished higher than I'd expected. Looking forward to Ballyhoura now.

Just saw a picture floating around on fb of a guy that did it on a unicycle...

Just saw a picture floating around on fb of a guy that did it on a unicycle...

Yea he's always around the trails on the yoke, bringing the Circus to off-road cycling.... :D

Plenty of photographers around the course, any idea who was taking shots or links to their pages?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Plenty of photographers around the course, any idea who was taking shots or links to their pages?

If you're on Facebook, search for John Hammers Photo Page.

Advertisement