Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My spin today...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I'd like to be still riding well in to my fifties and more.....with the help of an e-bike ;)

One of my regular biking buddies is 63yrs old and is far from needing an ebike...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

E-bikes are becoming very capable, I shared the same skepticism as many here but the longer travel ones ride like mini-downhill rigs. As for the exercise side of things, we'll it depends - they are pedal assisted so you have to work for the motor to assist you. Someone put it to me, on our trail network you'd ride top top bottom once, maybe twice on a very good day in 2 hours. With an e-bike you'd do it 5 or 6 times in 2 hours putting in the same effort.

They also make previously impossibly steep climbs achievable which opens up whole new areas of mtb. The embn channel have done some very innovative things on them https://youtu.be/c7a8XjeDRGg

Sorry Mods, maybe you can separate these posts into a separate eBike thread?

A lot of the lower end eBikes are just FUgly, and by lower end I mean about €5,000!
    91b536.png

They are heavy, so if there's terrain you need to lift or push the bike up then you better have your chiropractor on speedial!

For "our trail network..." Ticknock, GAP, Ballinastoe? In two hours you'd get around easily 3 or 4 times with leg power only... Ireland is a relatively flat country... I don't think i'd want to go down any of these trails 6 times in 2 hours without getting bored..Zzzz...
    On a lot of the more unofficial trails, ebikes are of no benefit, they require Gorilla handling on tight downhill sections due to the weight and weight distribution, not so easy to just flick around that tight corner..

As for the "impossibly steep climbs".. well Mountain biking isn't supposed to be easy, and even with an eBike you still have to possess a good level of fitness and skill, an inexperienced punter shouldn't head out into open mountain thinking he's a superman on a bike.... Not to mention access issues, walkers and National park rangers will soon take exception to powered cyclists pedalling through the nice open mountain boglands eroding the soft ground with nice big tyre marks and ruts everywhere...

Having said all that I do know people who aren't really into the hardship side of MTB'ing are getting great mileage out of there eBike, although they would be quite experienced outdoorsmen...

But for the price of almost €4,000 for a basic spec bike, i'll say no thanks! For now: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-e-sommet-electric-mtb-deore-1x10-2019/rp-prod170964?mx=a

Tenzor07 wrote: »

For "our trail network..." Ticknock, GAP, Ballinastoe?

As shocking as you may find this, there is life outside the pale ;)

Anyway, regardless of your opinion on them, they are on the way and will become lighter and better. The hatred of them reminds me of roadies complaining about disc brakes having never used them.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    As shocking as you may find this, there is life outside the pale ;)

Anyway, regardless of your opinion on them, they are on the way and will become lighter and better. The hatred of them reminds me of roadies complaining about disc brakes having never used them.

Most of the country is still fairly flat and rideable without being powered...

What hatred of them? I don't think they are worth the money, maybe in 10 years time, the motor and battery will be so compact and the frame so light they may have some value..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭C3PO

I do that also, on a human powered bike :pac:

Go on out of that!!

C3PO wrote: »
    Go on out of that!!

Check my Strava! :p ....:pac:....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Tenzor07 wrote:
    Check my Strava! .... ....

Stupid strava, many a wrecked trail from it

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Stupid strava, many a wrecked trail from it

Between Strava and Motors on bicycles, MTB'ing is fooked! :eek:

Between Strava and Motors on bicycles, MTB'ing is fooked! :eek:

id accept motors over strava, fooking annoying app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭prunudo

Maybe needs a seperate thread but why so?

jvan wrote: »
    Maybe needs a seperate thread but why so?

it probably does, so i wont go any further

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭C3PO

Rubbish! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Top Dog

But for the price of almost €4,000 for a basic spec bike, i'll say no thanks! For now: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-e-sommet-electric-mtb-deore-1x10-2019/rp-prod170964?mx=a
    I gotta ask - have you actually tried one at all?

Top Dog wrote: »
    I gotta ask - have you actually tried one at all?

Briefly Yes.

Went up to Ballinastoe earlier. Did a bit of a warm up and then a full lap of the official trail, happy how it went so think I'll give the baggy shorts Blitz a go on Feb 10th, give me a bit of a carrot to get out as much as possible.

Was surprised how quiet it was though, expected it to be a lot busier for the first Sunday after the Christmas holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Was up in Djouce. Was quite busy I thought and trails were riding great.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Was up in Djouce. Was quite busy I thought and trails were riding great.

Was there during the week, surprised how dry it was for the time of year.

Went to Ballyhoura today. Don't think I've ever seen the carpark so full. The lads in Trailriders actually ran out of bikes and had to turn customers away. All sorts up there from a single-speed fixie, to older guys on ebikes. Trails were riding lovely.

Probably going to go again tomorrow.

Top Dog wrote: »
    Went to Ballyhoura today. Don't think I've ever seen the carpark so full. The lads in Trailriders actually ran out of bikes and had to turn customers away. All sorts up there from a single-speed fixie, to older guys on ebikes. Trails were riding lovely.

Probably going to go again tomorrow.

I was there myself testing a trek remedy. It was a great day, weather was perfect and all the off-piste stuff was running great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

xxyyzz wrote: »
    the off-piste stuff was running great.

This is the stuff I need to find before I return to Ballyhoura. The place is great for a bit of a long spin but the main trails are very pedaly and a bit boring to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    This is the stuff I need to find before I return to Ballyhoura. The place is great for a bit of a long spin but the main trails are very pedaly and a bit boring to be honest.

Have you done the tech trails down there ?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Chris in trailriders will happily point you to the best stuff, most of it is used in the enduro events. The cardoor trail is located quite close to the trailhead and is a good one to start on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Peter T wrote: »
    Have you done the tech trails down there ?

Yeah the tech trails are a good laugh but if you want to go on a longer spin there's not really many features on them. I did see a couple of local lads branching of on the middle of the brown loop and seemed to be heading down the centre of the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Was down in Ballyhoura again this morning. More work done on the trails since I had been there last. Went on the brown loop today, down the first tech trail and back up for the log carrying on the rest of the brown. Was cold and windy in places, felt I wasnt up to my usual pace today but was surprised with 3 personal bests and a good few seconds for my efforts today. Was about 10 or 15 cars when I set off at 9.00 and the car park was full on my return at 11.30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Quick lap of Ticknock this morning after a long spin in Laragh yesterday. Parking situation there is nuts at the moment. Traffic jam coming in. Cars parked all over the place, some with absolutely no consideration for others. Can't believe how busy it's become over the last year. They could do with a lot more spaces up there.

Peter T wrote: »
    Was about 10 or 15 cars when I set off at 9.00 and the car park was full on my return at 11.30
    You were probably just finishing as we were starting. Was bitter in parts up the hill. Found some of the rock gardens (particularly on Tech 1) very slippy. Has me decided that I need a grippier front tyre at the very least as I didn't have much faith at all in it today. Good fun, but no performance to write home about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yup it's good to see Ticknock and djouce being so popular, but I saw in djouce today loads of cars parked outside - I know vans can't make it under the barrier but not bringing your car in is the height of ignorance. I'd imagine the farmer there is very annoyed with being almost unable to get through the gates to his land.

Gerry wrote: »
    Yup it's good to see Ticknock and djouce being so popular, but I saw in djouce today loads of cars parked outside - I know vans can't make it under the barrier but not bringing your car in is the height of ignorance. I'd imagine the farmer there is very annoyed with being almost unable to get through the gates to his land.

I’d say he’s more than annoyed about the parking, dozens of vehicles parked along the grass verge at the side of his cattle shed.
    As well as all the cars parked at the entrance to his field and the carpark.

In fairness a lot are families out waking who don’t want to pay the admission charge to enter the waterfall by car.

Also at Ticknock it was crazy, people were almost parking on top of each other around the biking.ie hut. Very few at the top as you start to go downhill and exit.

The majority are all out for walks, hopefully things will get back to normal at the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I’d say he’s more than annoyed about the parking, dozens of vehicles parked along the grass verge at the side of his cattle shed.
    As well as all the cars parked at the entrance to his field and the carpark.

In fairness a lot are families out waking who don’t want to pay the admission charge to enter the waterfall by car.

Also at Ticknock it was crazy, people were almost parking on top of each other around the biking.ie hut. Very few at the top as you start to go downhill and exit.

The majority are all out for walks, hopefully things will get back to normal at the end of the month.

Even with the bad start to the weather yesterday, got to Ticknock at 1.30pm and it was jammers. What's it going to be like over the summer / when kids are off school etc? Not so many mountain bikers - a few alright but the overwhelming majority were walkers. There is no way a fire engine (who can sometimes respond first) is getting up there. Possibly an ambulance but there's no guarantee - all it takes is one of two bad park jobs.

Just stuck to the Coillte trails yesterday - trails in good nick but they are not enough on their own anymore since they were revamped.

Have been trying to keep an open mind on the updates to Metro (bottom loop) and the finish of Metro 2 / Euroservices and have settled on the fact that they've ruined them. They've taken all the challenge out of those sections - and the bottom loop / Metro - while faster, is a whole lot less fun. I tried to like them. Hoping for some reclamation of the old trails that got blitzed when the harvested the east side of the hill (GAP land). Was looking at some old vids of Ticknock and it's a shadow of it's former self now.

The Coillte trails are great for beginners - and this is deliberately done - but why can't they leave the old trails alone and build dedicated beginner ones instead of smoothing out the old ones to make them easier?

Advertisement