Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

My dog does it. She hears them coming and has the head turned watching and ready to leap and chase after them with me in tow!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I look at the jersey first.
    I notice sock height first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have bad news. i just took the mudguards off my bike. this undoubtedly means i have summoned rain today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I notice sock height first.
    There was an impromptu pre-race sock inspection on Wednesday, I believe Mr Fashion Advice himself was head judge.

.. I believe Mr Fashion Advice himself was head judge.
    Our own Raam?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

On the way to the Sally Gap at the Glencree turn off, there was a little family out with a small table, two kids and their mother were giving out water and biccies to people going by. It was the sweetest thing ever!

Best weather I've ever been out in on the bike today, absolutely glorious.

Eurosport Player is 29.99 again at the minute. Got it this time last year at the same price during the Giro and still have 3 weeks to go but if you just let it renew it'll cost you 59.99

So figured I'd cancel it (I'd still have use of the remaining 3 weeks) and resubscribe to avail of the 29.99 offer again but no it tells you that you've already had the deal in the past so looks like I'll have to go the new account and email and payment method route.

In fairness I'd not feel ripped off paying full price given that I've watched every WT race and then some in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You can ask that they "forget me" and then resubscribe.

It might take longer than the offer runs, but at least would prevent having to create more accounts in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

nee wrote: »
    On the way to the Sally Gap at the Glencree turn off, there was a little family out with a small table, two kids and their mother were giving out water and biccies to people going by. It was the sweetest thing ever!

Best weather I've ever been out in on the bike today, absolutely glorious.

Was inspired by this and went out this morning. Howth though. Chilly but nice til I met all the MAMIL packs on the way back. Taking up both lanes as usual. Back to NCD for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I cycled the Military road from Laragh myself last night. Met only 3 cyclists, but there were plenty of picnicing and hiking families still about. Most were just finishing up. There were long passages were I seemed to have the entire place to myself. I really, really need to cycle in Wicklow more. I like NCD and all, but it's not the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Embarrassing one this morning. Decided to mow the lawn, couldn't get to the shed because it's gotten a bit overgrown at the back. Anyone know where I can get a machete

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

P_1 wrote: »
    Embarrassing one this morning. Decided to mow the lawn, couldn't get to the shed because it's gotten a bit overgrown at the back. Anyone know where I can get a machete

This is what you want - has improved my time available for cycling no end.

https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/products/robotic-mowers/?gclid=CjwKCAjw8r_XBRBkEiwAjWGLlBizstZ91kPKwHj0cQNWov4ehHBOdR_Q2AFCNJsYGH1eBcjQJKy5NRoCJx0QAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

P_1 wrote: »
    I tried to get a scythe in south county Dublin, and the guy in Woodie's said they couldn't sell them. I think there's a risk they'll be used as weapons in Dublin. He said some of the gardening collectives in Wicklow might sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Our own Raam?

Yep. He was was head of the marshals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I tried to get a scythe in south county Dublin, and the guy in Woodie's said they couldn't sell them. I think there's a risk they'll be used as weapons in Dublin. He said some of the gardening collectives in Wicklow might sell them.
    i once popped over the road while at work and bought a splitting maul in woodies. got an odd look from the security guard carrying it into our building, but he didn't make any attempt to ask me what i was up to. one woman refused to get into the lift with me, even though i assured her i didn't have enough room to swing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

i assured her i didn't have enough room to swing it.
    That sounds exactly like something a seasoned axe murderer would say...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Does anyone think shorts/short sleeves make spins feel faster? I woulda sworn I was bombing it today but a mere 25 kmph avg over 100km but this is the first day of the year I've been brave enough to change to summer kit.

Out earlier for a walk with the family after a nice lunch in town and my usual checking bikes as they passed and saw a fair few today but the one that stuck out was a lady on a Trek in shorts and I kid you not a soft shell jacket fully zipped up. She must have been absolutely cooked in it, it was hitting 20 degrees here and not a puff of wind :eek:

spotted a cyclist earlier in full length leggings and a winter top. i assumed she was trying to lose weight, but there's danger in that:
    http://articles.latimes.com/1999/aug/26/local/me-3869

Seen loads of the same yesterday. I was warm looking at them!

• Advertisement

yesterday morning was perfect; 16C or 17C; i actually avoided going out today because it was too warm. that said, i haven't owned a coat since 1994 and my tolerance to temperature (both at the high and low end) is probably about 5C below what would be considered average.

Yeah here I start to melt around that point. Whereas where my partner is from they get a "dry heat" so it's hot without any humidity so even 25 is comfortable for me.

spotted a cyclist earlier in full length leggings and a winter top....
    We were only remarking about that today on our ride. We encountered at least a dozen cyclists around Glenasmole/Cunard/Featherbeds with tights and winter jackets. One even had one of those neck buff yokes which I wouldn't be able to wear in the depths of winter never mind when it's 20 degrees.

We were only remarking about that today on our ride. We encountered at least a dozen cyclists around Glenasmole/Cunard/Featherbeds with tights and winter jackets. One even had one of those neck buff yokes which I wouldn't be able to wear in the depths of winter never mind when it's 20 degrees.

I take mine off for about 7 of the warmest days of the year but it's welded to me for the rest. Can't stand a cold neck or face or freezing air into the lungs during winter.

stops you getting sunburned, i guess?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Neck buff stops the neck burning, has doubled up as head cover from sun when I lost hat too (perils of balding)

nee wrote: »
    I take mine off for about 7 of the warmest days of the year but it's welded to me for the rest. Can't stand a cold neck or face or freezing air into the lungs during winter.
    For a minute there I thought you were referring to tights but I presume it the neck buff. Cold fingers are my weakness - I have to wear full fingered gloves if its below 5/6/7 degrees but some club mates seem to manage on finger-less gloves when it's frosty out. Don't know how they do it.

one of my tops has a snood built in, and i wear it when it's really cold out - but for me, it's usually the fingers and toes which feel the cold. i usually shave my head to a blade 1, so am probably acclimatised, but i never get a cold head, not matter if it's below zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

stops you getting sunburned, i guess?

I wore mine Monday just for that reason as it got fairly roasted on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

My buddy went over the gap on Sunday, he just told the Garmin to give him 80kms and 1200metres. He did this in a wife beater and was in bits yesterday. We're really not equipped for any weather in this country

Advertisement