Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Just....

The acronym isnt enough here....

What

Da

FXXK

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/DKMjgnGW4AEehDW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't think there's much of a statistical basis for any claim in the subheads on that front page, including the "huge" increase in numbers cycling (on a UK-wide basis, it's stagnant).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Looks like they're trying to blame the earthquake on cyclists too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Doc07 wrote: »
    'The defendant had no previous convictions of any kind'

So fu€&King what! He 'clipped' a cyclist to the ground and left the scene and had to be tracked down by the Garda. Don't case if he was a heart surgeon or paedophile.

Judge: This is a serious crime
    CramCycle: I have never flayed a person and made a dress out of their skin, before.
    Judge: Well when you put it like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwHfibl1AoI

Tried in the UK with good results

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I love the way children are the only ones who realise why it has happened. All the adults are surprised and don't understand. Children realise that people are not staring at the lights almost instantly and that it is safer and more sociable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/number-of-daily-dublin-cyclists-doubles-to-more-than-95-000-1.3230465
    22/09/2017 Number of Dublin cyclists doubles to over 95,000 daily bike users
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/number-of-dublin-cyclists-doubles-to-over-95-000-daily-bike-users-1.3230465 1/4
    Sorcha Pollak
    Number of Dublin cyclists doubles to over 95,000
    daily bike users
    Dublinbikes has played an important role in steady rise of cyclists across the capital

The number of cyclists in Dublin city has more than doubled in the past six years, with more
    than 95,000 people using their bikes in the capital every day.
    The number of Dublinbike users has also soared in recent years, with 16,285 people availing
    daily of the city bike service, up from 4,474 in 2010.
    The latest cycling figures from Dublin City Council reveal that cycling is becoming increasingly
    popular in the capital, with the number of bike users rising by more than 17 per cent between
    2015 and 2016.
    An average of 89,092 cyclists were recorded using their bikes around the city centre last year
    compared to just 40,030 bike users in 2011. The total number of cyclists in Dublin hit 95,166
    for 2016 when the Rosie Hackett Bridge was included in the data.
    The Samuel Beckett Bridge was added to the count following its construction in 2011 and the
    Rosie Hackett Bridge was added in 2015.
    Numbers have been steadily rising over the past six years, with 61,285 cyclists counted in 2013
    and 77,345 counted in 2015.
    The busiest spots in the city for cyclists include Burgh Quay, D’Olier Street, Aston Quay, Dame
    Street, George’s Street, Eden Quay and O’Connell Street.
    Some 6,319 cyclists passed through Dame Street and George’s street daily in 2016, while 7,353
    people cycled down O’Connell Street and Eden Quay.
    The number of cyclists along the East Link Bridge, North Wall Quay and East Wall Road
    soared by nearly 80 per cent between 2015 and 2016, while numbers on Memorial Road,
    Custom House Quay and George’s Quay rose by nearly 70 per cent.
    Last year’s count of cyclists in Dublin was carried out from May 11th - 31st over 12 hours
    between 7am-7pm on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Older Dutch cyclists warned after rise in electric bike deaths
    Netherlands police call for safety courses as data shows more riders die on e-bikes than mopeds, with 90% of deaths among over 60s
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/22/older-dutch-cyclists-warned-surge-electric-bike-deaths-police-netherlands

i wonder if this is skewing their cycling fatality stats? the wording in the article hints that at some level, they're counted separately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Netherlands police call for safety courses as data shows more riders die on e-bikes than mopeds, with 90% of deaths among over 60s
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/22/older-dutch-cyclists-warned-surge-electric-bike-deaths-police-netherlands

i wonder if this is skewing their cycling fatality stats? the wording in the article hints that at some level, they're counted separately.

Deadly things. A friend (relatively young and tough) came off one at 30km/h and made a hames of his wrist.

• Advertisement

But e-bikes have effectively replaced mopeds in the Netherlands, so it's not that surprising that more deaths would occur on them. I saw a graph of the respective sales, and moped sales have crashed as e-bike sales have soared.

It's also possible that about 90% of e-bike sales are to the over-60s. Also, the article doesn't distinguish between pedelecs and fast electric bikes. Pedelecs, from what I understand, are very like normal bikes and are quite hard to hit high speeds on.

I see on Twitter that there's pressure to get motorised scooters off the cycle infrastructure in the Netherlands, which is a good idea.

UK Transport Minister demands that cyclists convene one of their secret conclaves.

http://road.cc/content/news/229656-obey-transport-minister-tells-cyclists-follow-highway-code%E2%80%A6-well-he-asks-leaders

Basically, some sort of Daily Mail/UKIP chip has been planted in the brain of everyone in the British cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Chuchote wrote: »
    Deadly things. A friend (relatively young and tough) came off one at 30km/h and made a hames of his wrist.

Not medical advice and I'm not a doctor, but I was told by my doctor after I came off my motorcycle with a sore wrist that the problem with falling is you put your hand out to brace the fall, but there's a tiny bone (scaphoid) in the palm that if broken is difficult to reset.

Idleater wrote: »
    Not medical advice and I'm not a doctor, but I was told by my doctor after I came off my motorcycle with a sore wrist that the problem with falling is you put your hand out to brace the fall, but there's a tiny bone (scaphoid) in the palm that if broken is difficult to reset.

My brother broke that bone and it wasn't picked up on X-rays at the time.

It was about 2 years later, with limited mobility and another X-ray that it was noticed but by this time the bone had started to wither.

He had to have surgery and a piece of bone was cut from his leg, shaped and pinned into his wrist.

Then the physio started.

All that from a fairly innocuous bang playing sport, that felt more like a sprain than a broken wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

The busiest spots in the city for cyclists include Burgh Quay, D’Olier Street, Aston Quay, Dame Street, George’s Street, Eden Quay and O’Connell Street.

They must only include the core of the city centre. It's very hard to believe that any of them beats the Grand Canal for density of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

tomasrojo wrote: »
    UK Transport Minister demands that cyclists convene one of their secret conclaves.

http://road.cc/content/news/229656-obey-transport-minister-tells-cyclists-follow-highway-code%E2%80%A6-well-he-asks-leaders

Basically, some sort of Daily Mail/UKIP chip has been planted in the brain of everyone in the British cabinet.

This very interesting article was referred to in the comments to the above article:

http://singletrackworld.com/2017/09/the-law-will-be-fixed/

Perhaps a bit of a conspiracy theory, but you never know... Modal cleansing - removing cyclists and others undesirables from the roads to pave the way for self-drive vehicles!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

This very interesting article was referred to in the comments to the above article:

Perhaps a bit of a conspiracy theory, but you never know... Modal cleansing - removing cyclists and others undesirables from the roads to pave the way for self-drive vehicles!

Still on this article, does this sound familiar?
    Even though techniques of influence in the 1920s were not subtle by today’s standards, the lobby knew where best to channel its efforts: schools, governments, the police and the media all played their part in the motor lobby’s complete overhaul of public attitudes, all complicit in laundering the pro-car, anti-pedestrian propaganda.

I'm looking at the RSA's and the media's attitude to cycling in a new light!

It's also possible that about 90% of e-bike sales are to the over-60s.
    yep, i was wondering if before, when people got a bit too old to keep cycling, they might simply revert to foot (rather than get a moped), but going from bike to e-bike seems a much more fluid transition.

also, and this might sound a bit ghoulish, but if the numbers of elderly people cycling has gone up - how does survivability of a given accident decline as age goes up?

MediaMan wrote: »

I rather like Bez, and I really hope he's wrong. He's not wrong that the motor lobby and the right-wing press have been very organised in capitalising on a single, mispresentative case.

The Phase 2 bit does sound a lot more ominous than the Phase 1. On the other hand, bike-share is a pretty important part of the public-transport network in London, and what he's talking about would effectively finish bike-share. But politics in the UK is now so reminiscent of a nervous breakdown I wouldn't write much off.

I read a blogger called Atrios (he's a Philadelphia-based economist), and his take on autonomous vehicles has been deeply sceptical for years.
    http://www.eschatonblog.com/2016/06/no-one-will-listen-to-me.html

No idea whether he's right, except that they still don't perform well in the context of "chaotic" situations like cities, and the temptation must be at this stage to throw more money at "simplifying" cities.

also, and this might sound a bit ghoulish, but if the numbers of elderly people cycling has gone up - how does survivability of a given accident decline as age goes up?

The consequences of simple falls seem to get worse over time, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

yep, i was wondering if before, when people got a bit too old to keep cycling,
    Just felt obligated to post out of enibriatedness, my grandad is 90 and still cycles all about the gaff! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The consequences of simple falls seem to get worse over time, anyway.

THey do, but I'd imagine the benefits outweigh the risks, as with the population at large;

Oh yeah, totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Where are broken down cars supposed to park up? and the repair vehicles servicing them?

The sensible thing might be to park up on a cycletrack and keep the bulk of traffic flowing, I have no issue with that if done sensibly, but legally what are they supposed to do?

I came across an AA van parked up on a cycle track, he took up half the cycletrack and half the footpath too, if he just took up the entire cycletrack (which he had rendered unsafe) then at least pedestrians would have had the full path. Reminded me of dickheads who park outside my house slap in the middle of 2 houses, and so take up 2 spaces, probably not wanting to look like they are taking "someones space" even though they have the full right.

Further in past the footpath was a green strip where he could have parked, leaving nearly the full footpath free, and the cycletrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

rubadub wrote: »
    Where are broken down cars supposed to park up? and the repair vehicles servicing them?

The sensible thing might be to park up on a cycletrack and keep the bulk of traffic flowing, I have no issue with that if done sensibly, but legally what are they supposed to do?

I came across an AA van parked up on a cycle track, he took up half the cycletrack and half the footpath too, if he just took up the entire cycletrack (which he had rendered unsafe) then at least pedestrians would have had the full path. Reminded me of dickheads who park outside my house slap in the middle of 2 houses, and so take up 2 spaces, probably not wanting to look like they are taking "someones space" even though they have the full right.

Further in past the footpath was a green strip where he could have parked, leaving nearly the full footpath free, and the cycletrack.

With my motorist cap on I’d say that they should immediately be towed to a safe location. Non of this fixing by the roadside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

TheChizler wrote: »
    Just felt obligated to post out of enibriatedness, my grandad is 90 and still cycles all about the gaff! :D
    Fair play to him, especially if there are stairs.

Fair play to him, especially if there are stairs.

Post of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

amcalester wrote: »
    My brother broke that bone and it wasn't picked up on X-rays at the time.

It was about 2 years later, with limited mobility and another X-ray that it was noticed but by this time the bone had started to wither.

He had to have surgery and a piece of bone was cut from his leg, shaped and pinned into his wrist.

Then the physio started.

All that from a fairly innocuous bang playing sport, that felt more like a sprain than a broken wrist.

Not cycling related injury but I have injured both wrists separately playing GAA, that bone was mentioned as the culprit but nothing was seen on the xray, had my arm in a cast for a week or two the first time, didn't even bother getting it checked out on the second wrist

Hasn't affected me much day to day but I would estimate that I have about 50% range of movement from the first injury and about 25% from the second injury, I basically can't bend my wrist upwards much and they get swollen and sore on occasion but that has lessened over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Segment on crime call about cycling at night. Expect hi vis to feature on this.

Edit: Yep. Wear a hi vis and send off to the rsa for those little crappy lights they give out for free. FFS. I give up.

• Advertisement

Funny thing is that if you got out on a bike wearing an RSA hiviz vest and using their €1 lights, you're almost certainly cycling illegally. There are legal standards for lights, which includes a certain surface area of lit surface, and those lights don't meet them.

(And you're not all that conspicuous in certain circumstances, since you're almost entirely relying on reflection.)

EDIT:
    From the Irish Cycling Legislation thread: the rear light must ...
    have an illuminated area of at least 2 square inches and of such a shape that a circle of 1 inch in diameter may be inscribed therein
    From the Imperial, you'll know that this is the old legislation. Don't know if they updated the requirements after metrication.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement