Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Type 17 wrote: »
    Another 2km'er here - getting a bit boring, but on the plus side, my wife has realised that going out six days a week for only 15-20km is actually making her fitter than her previous once a week for 40+km.

It can be good training alright, though you'd really miss the one long 100k+ spin a week - great for keeping the ol' weight in check. I'm out nearly every day for between an hour and an hour and a half and I find it really pours petrol on the ol' appetite, generally speaking.

I'm finding it helpful to mix it up (also it helps having a decent hillclimb within my allowed radius). The last two days I was doing longer out of the saddle repeat intervals - 10 to 12 minutes or so. It's good for the upper body. Then I tried a Pantant out of the saddle but down on the drops - Jaysus, it was really hard! Same wattages as before but different muscles I suppose because of the different position - more bent over so more glute action, and more weight on the arms and shoulders as well. - Going to try and do a bit more of it, it's a great workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,250 ✭✭✭✭ted1

fat bloke wrote: »
    It can be good training alright, though you'd really miss the one long 100k+ spin a week - great for keeping the ol' weight in check. I'm out nearly every day for between an hour and an hour and a half and I find it really pours petrol on the ol' appetite, generally speaking.

I got in trouble last week for saying I was out for 80 minute and the post deleted.

Anyway is it worrying that I’m doing the same Laps around killiney hill on a daily basis and hitting PBs? Or is my hill game improving daily. Usually 450m over 20km.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fat bloke wrote: »
    I'm out nearly every day for between an hour and an hour and a half and I find it really pours petrol on the ol' appetite, generally speaking.
    ah here, can people not read the mod notes mentioned in the thread title? you know the government advice unless you've been living under a rock.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyway, i've been getting out for 15-18km most days, but to wring the best out of it i've been taking on a very gentle 'hill' two or three gears higher (lower? i can never remember) than usual, so i empty the tank before getting home. i can still feel it in my legs now.
    i.e. i'd usually take it at 50-19, but i now take it at 50-14 or 50-15 (14 today), and by gum does it make a difference.

for those familiar with it, its from the tolka at the church in glasnevin, up washerwoman's hill, onto ballygall road and beneavin road. we're not exactly blessed with climbs in D9/D11.

I've seen some lovely bikes while out for my walk over the last couple of days (202km for the month on foot, 37km on the bike) :(

None taking the piss that I could tell but one that stuck out was a lovely blue Fuji with a name and Italian flag on the frame on the seat post end of the top tube :confused:

They aren't an Italian brand and doubt they used them ever for a national team so maybe just a personalization ?

Oh the other one I drooled over was a lovely full sus Specialized S-Works ridden by a man of mature vintage who looked like he belonged on it.

• Advertisement

just my usual 17km loop this morning, but it could have ended messily as i was going downhill through drumcondra. a woman came running out of a side road at full tilt, looked at me, and just kept going right across in front of me.
    amusingly, a minute or two earlier, i'd been waiting at the lights at the collins avenue/swords road junction, and clipped in expecting the light to turn green for me. it took probably another four seconds to go green, but the instant i clipped in, the motorist in the car sitting beside and just behind me floored it through the junction. just missed the last car coming through with right of way from the other direction.
    do motorists now trust cyclists so much that they think we act as proxies for lights?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

do motorists now trust cyclists so much that they think we act as proxies for lights?
    Maybe just another of the MGIF afflicted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Maybe just another of the MGIF afflicted!

I learn a lot on this forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

18k of a couple of local loops up Stocking lane as far as Mt Venus and back around via Tibradden Road and Taylors lane. Beautiful crisp morning and looking forward to the 5km limit which gets me up to the Viewpoint Point, Kilmashogue, Masseys and the Hellfire club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Phoenix park closed. In case anybody heading that way or thinking of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

smacl wrote: »
    looking forward to the 5km limit which gets me up to the Viewpoint Point, Kilmashogue, Masseys and the Hellfire club.

Very jealous of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

couldn't wait for tomorrow, did a 5k loop today...stopped at checkpoint and waved on

Was out for a bit with our 6 year old this evening. Fella up ahead in his 30's I'd guess riding a bicycle shaped object from the 00's in good condition in terms of the frame and tyres but the chain, cassette and chainrings were caked in rust to such an extent he had to ride out of the saddle to get any kind of forward momentum in his lowest gear. Herself couldn't resist asking "Dad whats wrong with that man's bike, it's very slow" :pac:

all, as we're now in a brave new dawn of being allowed exercise up to 5km from the house, and there has been no use of the word 'brief' in any of the advisories i've seen, the 1 hour limit on cycles is no more.
    as you might expect, we'll ask you not to take the piss by posting cycles which clearly breach the 5km limit now expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Does that mean you can cycle all day, as long as you're within 5km radius?

i am not the HSE, thankfully.

Effects wrote: »

I couldn't at the moment, very unfit, but hope to improve in the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Theoretically, yes! Although you'd probably be fed up of the same route.

i've mentioned before, but i've been having fun banjaxing myself in a way which was not usually my style of cycling - there's a 'hill' near me, i think just shy of 2%, about 2km, and i stick the bike in a very stiff gear and hammer up it. slower than i'd manage in an easier gear, but the aim is to burn out my legs in the short time available. not the sort of cycling i usually do.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

i've mentioned before, but i've been having fun banjaxing myself in a way which was not usually my style of cycling - there's a 'hill' near me, i think just shy of 2%, about 2km, and i stick the bike in a very stiff gear and hammer up it. slower than i'd manage in an easier gear, but the aim is to burn out my legs in the short time available. not the sort of cycling i usually do.
    Intentional innuendo or is there something wrong with me?

• Advertisement

not intentional, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with you...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Went for a 20k cycle this morning (using the 5km boundary) and rather funnily on Saturday morning did one pretty close to 20km within the 2km boundary. But I felt it on the legs as one of the loops was on a (punishing for me) hill.

But there was a noticeable difference in the amount of cars on the road this morning where for the last few weeks has been very quiet. Almost felt like a normal school holiday traffic day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I couldn't at the moment, very unfit, but hope to improve in the next while.

Same, once up Cruagh road to the viewing point before breakfast was enough for me but would hope to increase this over the coming weeks. Strava May climbing challenge signed up for to keep me motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

23km this morning - first time on the road (spins with the kids excepted) since the lockdown. The short loop I'd been doing in March almost exactly traces a segment in the 5m radius, and looking at some more I can get a nice 40-45km figure of 8 with some sharp climbing thrown in - might investigate further at the weekend, Typically having sweated on the patio in dead calm weather for the past 5 weeks, today it's back to the 30-40km/h winds we were all giving out about in Feb :rolleyes: Still, all that turbo and core sessions I've been doing have had some benefit as I went around significantly faster that the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

ted1 wrote: »
    I got in trouble last week for saying I was out for 80 minute and the post deleted.

Anyway is it worrying that I’m doing the same Laps around killiney hill on a daily basis and hitting PBs? Or is my hill game improving daily. Usually 450m over 20km.

I expanded my loop today to include Killiney Hill from the Dart stataion up to the Druids Chair. Up to this my loop was around Foxrock, Cornelscourt hill, Johnstown Road, Stradbrook, Deansgrange for 13km. Been doing that 3 times. Hopefully over the next few weeks I will get to do Killiney Hill 3 times. It is a 12km loop from home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A few quotes from the Government Covid-19 website:
    • Everyone is urged to stay in their home wherever possible until Monday 18 May. Staying at home is the best way to minimise the risk of COVID-19 to your friends, families and communities.
    • There are exceptions for some workers in key businesses but for the majority of people, the rule is simple: stay at home.
    • Stay at home in all circumstances, except in the following situations:-to exercise within 5 kilometres of your house. You cannot exercise with people from outside your household
    So the question is: how much exercise do you need? For me, I'm probably maintaining my fitness level by a combination of an hour a day on a fitness bike in the back garden and a real cycle of about the same duration within the circle twice a week.

If the question was: how much exercise do you want, I suspect for most people here the answer would be a whole lot more.

I did 37kms today.
    And more importantly, I put the turbo back where it belongs, in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Mc Love wrote: »
    But there was a noticeable difference in the amount of cars on the road this morning where for the last few weeks has been very quiet. Almost felt like a normal school holiday traffic day.

Thought the same. Was like a normal day traffic wise. Huge difference to even just last week.
    Eamonnator wrote: »
    I did 37kms today.
    And more importantly, I put the turbo back where it belongs, in the shed.

:D. That's where they'll go, and from there to Donedeal.

I was saying in another thread that second hand bikes are like gold dust now. Turbos are old had and the scavenging for ANYthing approximating a RACER BIKE is on. But judging by the increase in traffic, the honeymoon for pedalling is over and I forsee a lot of these bikes going the same way as the turbos...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Got out for a 39km spin. Firstly within my 5km radius, and then a little further afield.
    I have a DAFM exemption, and chose to cycle rather than drive, to collect some equipment. Didn't realise the equipment I had to pick up weighed 20kg so had to lug that home on my back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I got out in the morning for my regular 1hour/25km or so spin. The difference is that today I could set my Strava privacy settings back to "public" tssss....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement