Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Doc07 wrote: »
    Great to get over the featherbeds this late in the year. Will you make it out any Wednesday this side side of Christmas

Pretty sure it's the last time I'll be up there 'til well after Christmas! Unlikely to get out on Wednesdays, Thursday is the new Wednesday for me!

Miklos wrote: »
    Had a great four hour spin by myself yesterday. Out the coast via Killiney Hill and Windgates, Kilcoole, NMK, Roundwood, Liam Horner, Featherbeds and home. Got very chilly with a bit of sleet up at the Featherbeds but otherwise it's was perfect.

being a noob to all this, where is the Liam Horner memorial and the Featherbeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Aegir wrote: »
    being a noob to all this, where is the Liam Horner memorial and the Featherbeds?

The Featherbeds forest is just across the Dublin/Wicklow border on the Old Military Road round about here.

The Liam Horner memorial is not far from it, heading towards Powerscourt Waterfall, here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The road through The Featherbeds is, as far as I know, the highest public road in Ireland at around 500m.

(There are a few higher roads but they are private roads usually to TV masts etc, such as Mount Leinster and Kippure.)

Miklos wrote: »
    The Featherbeds forest is just across the Dublin/Wicklow border on the Old Military Road round about here.

The Liam Horner memorial is not far from it, heading towards Powerscourt Waterfall, here.

so from Roundwood, do you head past Djouce woods and then up past the entrance to the waterfall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

That's probably the most straightforward route. As you come down the Old Long Hill, there's a turn to your left onto the upper section of The Wall (check your brakes!) and a left at the next crossroads brings you to Powerscourt waterfall. Continue on up the south side of the Glencree valley and you will eventually pass the Liam Horner memorial. Turn right onto the Military Road and follow it to get to the Featherbeds. Continuing on will bring you to the Viewing Point (often mentioned hereabouts) where a right brings you over to Glencullen and Kilternan or straight ahead takes you down to Killakee, Stocking Lane and Rathfarnham.

Enjoy but watch out for ice this time of the year.

Just thinking, a cyclist's map of the Dublin and Wicklow mountains could be useful with all the climbs, gradients, cafes, memorials etc noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

That's probably the most straightforward route. As you come down the Old Long Hill, there's a turn to your left onto the upper section of The Wall (check your brakes!) and a left at the next crossroads brings you to Powerscourt waterfall. Continue on up the south side of the Glencree valley and you will eventually pass the Liam Horner memorial. Turn right onto the Military Road and follow it to get to the Featherbeds. Continuing on will bring you to the Viewing Point (often mentioned hereabouts) where a right brings you over to Glencullen and Kilternan or straight ahead takes you down to Killakee, Stocking Lane and Rathfarnham.

Enjoy but watch out for ice this time of the year.

Just thinking, a cyclist's map of the Dublin and Wicklow mountains could be useful with all the climbs, gradients, cafes, memorials etc noted.
    A map like that would be brill for a northsider like me who likes to venture out that far but I only know the main roads and am sure I’m missing loads

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Jaysis it was freezing this morning. I was pretty well wrapped, hat, Gabba 2, gloves. But my toes were frozen, I should have put the shoe covers on this morning.

That aside, it was bloody beautiful coming down the North Dublin coast. Low sun, clear skies and sunshine. It's a pretty great way to start the day. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first time on the bike today in nearly two weeks, due to a bad head cold and other stuff getting in the way. was not as cold as expected - cheapo yellow aldi winter jackets, btwin leggings, full gloves and overshoes. one thing that helps keep the warmth in though is the small backpack i use on the commute.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The frost and ice this morning had me worried. I'd say it was mostly frost, not much in the way of black ice. I had hoped that the Sutton/Clontarf cycle way would remain frost free, but that's not the case. I'll have to consider just taking the road in in the mornings given what I saw.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the only issue i had this morning with grip was a probable half inch wheel slip on a metal manhole cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

Came up behind a lady-cyclist on a road bike in Ballsbridge this morning - high heels, regular ladies tights and a mini-skirt that barely covered her modesty. Must have been pretty distracting for the oncoming traffic!

homer911 wrote: »
    Came up behind a lady-cyclist on a road bike in Ballsbridge this morning - high heels, regular ladies tights and a mini-skirt that barely covered her modesty. Must have been pretty distracting for the oncoming traffic!

Carbon, aluminium or steel; discs or callipers; shimano, sram or campy; make?😜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

[QUOTE=

VCB headed out northwards from Balbriggan up towards JUlianstown into Bettystown-Mornington and onto Drogheda. Around Drogheda onto the north quays and onto Clogherhead and up the coast into Castlebellingam.
    [/QUOTE]

That looks a decent route - I might steal that...

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

43km around NCD. Bloody chilly.

rushfan wrote: »
    Bloody chilly.

Agreed, but the addition of a second Cantebury base layer below the Mistral jacket made conditions much more bearable.

Heading out to Tara was mainly on dry roads but a shower about 11.30 dissolved an awful lot of muck so the jacket and rest of the gear are now residing in the washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I wasn't too cold cycling into work around 2pm yesterday, but at 1.30am it felt a lot colder. I made sure I bought my neck warmer with me today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

200km solo around the borders of Kildare, Carlow and Wicklow. It was cold, there were frozen roads for 40km with a smattering of black ice and 4 hours of darkness from Carlow until I got home!

The weather was dry with only a light breeze and traffic was fine, apart from Athy that seems to have a permanent tailback through the town centre.

The only reason to ride 200km in the middle of winter was to complete an Audax challenge of riding one event of 200km or more every month. That's this year completed, and my fourth year in a row. It's a great way to see the country and you certainly appreciate the changing seasons.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1298576087/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1512205111

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Christmas Cracker Cycle 110 Km for Marymount hospice in Cork. A very decent turnout of over 400 on a chilly and damp December morning. The route took us from Cork City to Inishannon and onto Bandon where a few gentle climbs :)got us warmed up. Onto Macroom and back to Cork City. Lots of Seasonal Costumes and as always a good natured cycle.
    The last thing I needed was a flat after 5 kms but help was at hand and I was rolling again soon enough. A fine feed was laid on back in Marymount as usual, much necessary funds were raised for a much beloved local charity.
    Thanks to everyone involved in organizing todays cycle, and to the volunteers. marshalls and all the support staff on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Christmas Cracker Cycle 110 Km for Marymount hospice in Cork. A very decent turnout of over 400 on a chilly and damp December morning. The route took us from Cork City to Inishannon and onto Bandon where a few gentle climbs :)got us warmed up. Onto Macroom and back to Cork City. Lots of Seasonal Costumes and as always a good natured cycle.
    The last thing I needed was a flat after 5 kms but help was at hand and I was rolling again soon enough. A fine feed was laid on back in Marymount as usual, much necessary funds were raised for a much beloved local charity.
    Thanks to everyone involved in organizing todays cycle, and to the volunteers. marshalls and all the support staff on the route.
    Well said, great day out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

If you'd have told me a few months ago that I would be cycling 100+km on a cold wet
    December morning around Sligo and Mayo I would have died laughing.

But yet there I was 60km in, busting a gut, garmin helpfully telling me the road is
    currently 13%, 100m of climbing to go, soaked, feet frozen with zero regrets.

Maybe the pre-cycling version of me did die laughing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Glorious morning.

20km in, had blow out on the rear wheel and broke a spoke

Patched the tyre and changed the tube to limp home. Got bout 3km up the road and it went again.

Now waiting for the wife to collect me. Couldn’t be arsed trybig to patch it again. Would prob do damage to the wheel.

much wetter than expected; got up, rainfall radar showed nothing over the entire country, so went out without overshoes. that was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

On the way home home this morning, one of our group touched a wheel and came down, we were about 20k from home. There was a car directly behind us. The driver, a woman on her own, stopped. The rider had banged his head(broke his helmet) and was a bit shaken up. We decided, that he shouldn't ride any further. The driver insisted on driving pal to Drogheda, she wouldn't hear of him waiting for somebody to collect him. I think, it's wonderful that there are still such people around.
    I brought his bike to a nearby pub and asked the landlord, if I could leave the bike there to be collected later. I told him briefly what had happened. He didn't ask any questions, just said "hold on there and I'll unlock the side gate"
    My faith in human nature is confirmed.

he's OK is he? any damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

VCB went to Tara!
    Christmas drinks weekend had a profound affect on my ability to ride a bike!
    The pain was eased by a double espresso and a bacon bit sambo in Tara cafe!
    It was really wet and muddy.
    My face was really dirty from the mud being splayed in all directions from mudguards!
    I am glad I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Today's little adventure actually started last Sunday, unknowns to me at the time. I had a puncture on the club spin, clipped a chipping and deflated rapidly. I changed the tube and went on my merry way.
    Just before heading out this morning I decided to put a bit of air in the tyre. As I got up to 80psi there was a bang like a rifle shot. Kids and spouse raced into the hallway to see me with a slightly bewildered look, and a gaping hole in the sidewall of my two month old GP4000. Obviously I'd done more damage than I thought last week.
    I was tight for time and after rooting around the garage looking for the old tyre, I rushed putting it on and pinched the tube. Another bang.
    I had only one tube left so I got that in and headed off Commando. I knew I wasn't going to catch up with the club so I did about 35km solo at a right good pace in the general direction of the club spin, taking a short cut at Summerhill and met up with them in Maynooth at the coffee stop. The rest of the spin home was eventful enough with more punctures, thankfully not mine, and a broken spoke. Must be the weather for it. It was also a hell of a lot dirtier seeing as I was now in the bunch.
    Rolled home with 70 odd km and over 6000 for the year.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1300399061

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

he's OK is he? any damage?

He's grand. He went to A&E to have himself checked out, bruised hip and cut hand, no concussion. His bike is good, he'll need new bar tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

130km of wet n muck today with a few hardy souls. Some lads are stronger than others at this time of year so it leads to frustration when lads soft pedal or won't go through late on which is fine normally but into a headwind there is only so much pulling the strong lads can do each week.
    When cleaning the bike tje chain came off for some reason so hopefully it's just the quick link when I get to LBS Tuesday.

130km at 28.8 avg with 1000m of up, happy out.

9,400 km for the year so the drive is on to make 10,000km by New Years Eve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

Solo from Galway City, out to Maam Cross, across to Casla and home again by the coast road. no rain but roads very wet - just made 100km

https://www.strava.com/activities/1300393483

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement