Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Long-term Buddhist retreats

Options
  • 06-08-2014 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hello,

I wonder if anyone here knows of any Buddhist retreats in Ireland where I can stay cheaply for at least a month? I would also be interested in doing some kind of voluntary work work in exchange for my bed & basic meals. I am open to going anywhere in Ireland, and welcome any suggestions.

Thank you

C72.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

• Registered Users Posts: 22 clandestine72

Thank you for such a quick response!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Blanonymous

How did you get on with those links? I had a good look around a few months ago for places in Ireland that catered for personal meditation retreats of over 2 weeks--even secular ones--and couldn't find anything. I ended up going to the idyllic Gaia House in Devon in England. IIRC, the flight to Bristol was around E50 (one-way). Gaia House charges £40 per night for personal retreatants, though there is a retreatant support fund that you can avail of that discounts the total price by around 40%. I would highly recommend it, especially for the excellent resident teacher Rob Burbea.

Hi Blanonymous. I never did a retreat in the end which is a shame as I really needed it. Now back to school so won't be able to do one for another while, but thank you so much for the recommendation, might check it out next time a get a holiday. All the best, c72x

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mccoist

hello clandestine
    Try Sunyata retreat center in Co Clare.
    They run work days and also have a week or two in the summer where a monk resides and people stay and work they Sunyata follow the Thai Forest tradition.
    regards mccoist

• Advertisement

Thank you Mccoist, if I get another chance I will look this up.

Advertisement