Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

where to get me a cargo bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Chuchote wrote: »
    Well, no, I meant in terms of the engine - the cyclst. Most of the people I've seen cycling them are big sturdy yokes. I'm more on the small-but-perfectly-formed line.
    Pity you can't rent them easily and locally; really, my only thought would be to use one to bring an ancient dog past any real walking for enjoyable outings. Probably a silly idea.

Trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

You can get trailers for dogs too. Might be a good option.
    EDIT: HB there first

Might be handy for someone:

http://www.randomhacks.co.uk/replacement-bakfiet-spokes/

Propping up the bike to get at the rear wheel:

IMG_4226.jpg?resize=768%2C576

And a mention of where to get spare spokes:
    It turns out that the Bakfiets use motorbike / moped bike spokes. You can order custom spokes in batches of 10 from a company called Central Wheel. They cost around £2 per spoke

2.5mm spokes, he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrsFitz

Date for your diary
    18th of June for the 5th anniversary of the cargo bike championships
    Tickets are available on eventbrite (free)
    Hope to see you all there, and pray for better weather than last year ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I just came across this and I can't believe there hasn't been any follow up or raving about it - it was a fantastic day for all of us and mucho mucho gracias to MrsFitz, Dublin Cycling Campaign, GreenAer and anyone else who was involved in organising this.

Some photos are here:
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/IrishCargoBikeChampionships/photos/?tab=album&album_id=563017017217903

The FB page is here - follow it so you know about it next year
    https://www.facebook.com/IrishCargoBikeChampionships

What a great day out - loads of fun for adults and kids and a great finish to Bike Week.

Thanks also to the two lads from OPW who gave us a tour around the Phoenix Park. It was really interesting and great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LORCANSTAINES

I'm looking at buying a cargo bike. My circumstances are:

We are a two car family.

I am selling both cars and buying a Volvo XC90 as we will have three kids by March all going well. At the moment we have two girls aged 4 and 2 and a third girl on the way.

I'm looking for a cargo bike to replace the second car.

I live in South Dublin - 4k from Grafton Street - 6k from work.

I will need the cargo bike for ferrying kids and doing the shopping and possibly dropping the kids to school depending on what school will let them in. I'm hoping to cycle as much as possible and use the car as little as possible.

My wife might use the cargo bike or might not - we'll have to wait and see.

After 6 hours of research I have concluded:

The Bullitt is a beauty but is not really suitable for 3 kids - especially as they get bigger.

The Urban Arrow with the electric assist ticks all the boxes but is hard to justify at 5k.

One of the Babboe range with the electric assist might be the best fit for me?

Would really appreciate any advice.

Many thanks,

Lorcan

I couldn't afford anything with electric assist, so I got the long bakfiets from Greenaer. My reasoning was that it's very widely used in the Netherlands, and it's not that expensive, as cargo bikes go. I'm ferrying a seven-year-old and five-year-old, about 7km to school and 7km back again. Not sure how much longer it will be feasible. Maybe two more years for the eldest. I'm an optimist. Last year I was doing about a 15km school run twice a day, because the kids were in different schools; now in the same school. I was fit before I started using the bakfiets.

I don't know anything about the Babboe range but the long bakfiets would be big enough for three kids, especially smaller ones. There is a version of the bakfiets with an electric motor (below) but I haven't seen one here.
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lastenradler.de%2Fimages%2Fbakfiets_long_mit_zelt_lastenradler_muenchen.jpg&f=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LORCANSTAINES

I rented the Workcycles Kr8 Bakfiets today from the Dutch Bike Shop. Really liked it. Loads of space with really good handling. Feels like a normal bike. Kids loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Let us (me) know how you get on, cargo bike is always on my mind and your situation is very similar.
    If your on Facebook, join the cycling family page. PM if you want a link. There's a few cargo bike families on there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Recently got this... This is a picture after some weight stripping. Started at 40kg and down to 29kg now

Picture attached now along with what it looked like before.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Looks a bit more sportysince you stripped it down!

The chain case might have been worth keeping, just for longer chain life? If it's like the one on my bike, it probably weighs about 100g.

I had to change the saddle on mine too. The only part that was dire in the original spec.s. Changed pedals to you, as you did, but I could have lived with the originals.

Where are you mounting the front light now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Anybody have any experience of using a Cargo Bike Conversion Kit?
    Any recommendations?
    Something similar to the following which I recently came across
    https://argobikes.com/products/argocargokit
    "
    The ARGO Cargo Kit (Ships June 2018)
    Regular price
    $899.00
    "
    Have a Touring Bike sitting in the Shed that should be able and willing to be converted. It will get more use in the near future if I can get a good Conversion Kit.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Where are you mounting the front light now?

Unsure yet, I have a couple of months to figure it out. On the chaingaurd, I find them annoying.. less of a weight issue. Much easier to clean/lube without the cover in place.

I did drop into thinkbike today to take a look at a bullitt frameset.

I have ordered a Bullitt frameset now... so if you know anyone that is looking for dutch style frame let me know

Anybody have any experience of using a Cargo Bike Conversion Kit?
    Any recommendations?
    Something similar to the following which I recently came across
    https://argobikes.com/products/argocargokit
    "
    The ARGO Cargo Kit (Ships June 2018)
    Regular price
    $899.00
    "
    Have a Touring Bike(SLHT) sitting in the Shed that should be able and willing to be converted. It will get more use in the near future if I can get a good Conversion Kit.

Decided to give this a go.
    Shipping is $240 so about €940 when all added up and converted into €€€.

looking forward to feedback on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

I saw this a few years back but it was still just a kickstarter. I'm very jealous, they look brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'm going to be selling my bullitt in the next couple of weeks, if anyone here is interested let me know and I'll give first refusal. Lizard king green, with child canopy, and a pair of studded winter tyres also included.

Will post price, full specs and photos when I get time.

kenmc wrote: »
    I'm going to be selling my bullitt in the next couple of weeks, if anyone here is interested let me know and I'll give first refusal. Lizard king green, with child canopy, and a pair of studded winter tyres also included.

:( Having just bought this...

If you were interested in selling the canopy separate, pls let me know.

I'd rather sell it as one if possible, but if anyone is looking for sans canopy I'll let you know... how are you getting on with it? Takes a wee while to get the hang of it, but very quickly becomes second nature

I'd rather sell it as one if possible, but if anyone is looking for sans canopy I'll let you know... how are you getting on with it? Takes a wee while to get the hang of it, but very quickly becomes second nature

Coming from a dutch style bike so handling is much the same. The Bullitt feels much smoother tho

did this arrive yet? interested to see feedback

mloc123 wrote: »
    did this arrive yet? interested to see feedback

It did, super fast on the Delivery. Ordered Friday evening 15th June - had it the following Monday afternoon. Air Freighted from Denver, Colorado.Would not have minded a cheaper delivery option to be honest.
    Still sitting in its box though, had a far more important delivery shortly after it arrived. It was well packed, one thing that was unusual - have to go to the Website to Download the "Installation" instructions. Will post pics during the assembly.

This has now gone to a new home in the west, Galway. Collected this evening.
    Highly recommend them though for carrying kids around to and from school. Unfortunately my kids have grown up too much to fit in it together, and I don't have the space to keep it for occasional use :(

This has now gone to a new home in the west, Galway. Collected this evening.
    Highly recommend them though for carrying kids around to and from school. Unfortunately my kids have grown up too much to fit in it together, and I don't have the space to keep it for occasional use :(

What age did you get to use it until? My son is just 3 now and we are doing creche run on ours, wondering how many years use I will get.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    What age did you get to use it until? My son is just 3 now and we are doing creche run on ours, wondering how many years use I will get.

I'm still ferrying my eight-year-old and six-year-old daughters every day. I reckon up to ten might be ok. They'll probably find the very idea mortifying shortly after that anyway.

The bakfiets is certified for 100kg of cargo, so that's over twice what the girls weigh combined (I think). So the limit is the rider's physical endurance, I suppose.

Advertisement