Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Your daily forecasts from Boards.ie weather forum (NO CHAT)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭La Madame

All Saturday - cloudy her in SW Ireland - rather warm for the location.
    MetEireann speaks of an 'Indian Summer' pretty subjective but from an Irish point of view ok - haven't we got over two weeks without rain now?

Beer Drinkers support Farmers!

Abolish infamous Minimum Unit Pricing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I would have to imagine, from this distance, that the dry weather has been a life-saver for some farmers and others with outdoor business interests, another month like July and August could have been quite damaging. On the other hand, we've had this dry weather here since late January and water levels in the rivers of this part of the world are quite low, the crops did fairly well thanks to irrigation and some timely rains in August, but the grass is still not fully "greened up" after the summer drought here. It looks green now, but there are still some yellowish patches to be found, which is quite unusual for here, usually the rainy season is starting to lock in about now (and we get about three months of very heavy rain here at the end of the year).

Well, today we had quite a strong westerly wind blow in behind a cold front, and the mid-day temperature has fallen off to 17 C from the low 20s past few days. Another strong Pacific high is building onto the coast here and so tomorrow could be even cooler but still mostly dry, with patchy rain a bit further north.

The tropical season hasn't amounted to much so far, after a late start and a pick up of the pace in late August, we are only dealing with one weak tropical disturbance (no. 8) near the Cape Verde Islands.

Sunday, 27 September, 2009

This rather dull and quiet spell of settled weather will probably continue most of the upcoming week. The high pressure centre is just to the southwest of Ireland today, and will keep trying to push north, but apparently waves of colder air moving southeast through Scandinavia will keep pushing it back, so that it will tend to stay about where it is now until perhaps Friday, before fading back to the south and allowing some fresher W to NW winds to develop; even then, the change in the weather will be rather subtle.

I will resume more detailed daily forecasts on Monday; for today, I will just suggest that from today to about Friday, each day is likely to bring considerable cloud, some hazy sunshine in a few places in the afternoon, the odd bit of drizzle mainly near the west coast, and highs near 18 C for most. The nights seem likely to continue mild and cloudy too, but there is always the risk of some parting of the clouds and considerably cooler local overnight lows. With the cloud, the lows have been staying around 11 or 12 C, but with any clearing you might expect 3 to 7 C with dense fog resulting.

Maybe some boards weather folk will post some additional ideas, but I don't see much more than this by way of details through the period. By Thursday there may be a slight northwest wind setting in, and by Friday and next weekend, a moderate westerly, but temperatures should remain about the same.

At 10 p.m. on a Saturday evening, it is clear and crisp outside here, near 10 C and a strong westerly breeze gradually dying out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I always check your forecast before scheduling golf MT, tks for the good forecasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭La Madame

This Sunday afternoon has deserved the term 'Indian Summer'
    - Sunny & Rather Warm.

Me too prefer ' M.T. Cranium forecast' to Met Eireann.

Beer Drinkers support Farmers!

Abolish infamous Minimum Unit Pricing!

• Advertisement

Monday, 28 September, 2009

TODAY will continue rather cloudy and quite mild with some intervals of hazy sunshine possible at times, but also the odd spot of drizzle mainly in the west. Winds will continue quite light and from a westerly direction in most cases. Highs will be 17 to 19 C.

TONIGHT may see a bit more clearing than previous nights but lows will probably average about 10 C with lower values anywhere that it clears in the evening. Some dense fog patches could develop there.

TUESDAY will be similar to today, partly cloudy, hazy and mild (warm perhaps) with highs 17 to 19 C. Winds will be light from a west to northwest direction.

WEDNESDAY will see some slight increase in the wind from a northwest direction, but there will not be a huge change in the weather, partly cloudy with highs near 18 C, and just the slight risk of a brief shower in parts of Ulster.

THURSDAY and FRIDAY will continue similar, partly cloudy, mild to locally warm, gentle W to NW winds, and highs near 18 C.

THE WEEKEND is likely to become breezier at times, with some chance of showers in northern counties mostly on Saturday as a weak front develops and drifts south, then stalls and weakens. Highs will still be in the range of about 16 to 18 C.

NEXT WEEK is looking more active as stronger south to southwest winds arrive in advance of deep low pressure likely to move well to the west of Donegal around Tuesday, heading for Norway. Temperatures seem likely to remain a bit above average for early October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

The weather has got soooo boring over the past 3 weeks - any chance someone could rustle up a big storm, couple of localised floods or a typhoon?:D

You'd wonder how places like Las Vegas can have a 24 hour weather channel?

UPDATE _ Monday, 7:45 p.m.

The latest charts suggest that winds may pick up a little more than previously advertised by Friday night, Saturday and Saturday night. There may be quite a strong W to NW wind developing just to the north of Donegal and certainly western Scotland may expect gusts to 50 or 60 mph, but so far I would say the potential looks more like 30-50 mph gusts in the northwestern coastal regions of Ireland and 20-40 mph more generally (at that time). Meanwhile, the high has stalled just to the south of Valentia and seems to be stationary now.

The weather here has become cloudy today with rain threatening to the west, chance of a thundershower here later this afternoon (currently 16 C at 1145 local time).

Tuesday, 29 September, 2009

TODAY will continue rather cloudy and mild with periods of drizzle or light rain becoming somewhat more frequent in the north and west. Winds will be picking up slightly there, to about 15-25 mph at times, but the south and east will remain fairly calm. Highs will be between 16 and 18 C.

TONIGHT will be a little more breezy than previous nights and rather cloudy with some light rain in the north mostly, with lows generally about 9 to 12 C.

WEDNESDAY will become partly cloudy and winds will become more northwesterly, but temperatures will remain close to 16 or 17 C.

THURSDAY will bring mostly cloudy skies and a few showers, with the northwest winds backing to westerly and rising to about 20-30 mph especially in northern areas, lows of about 8 C will be followed by highs near 16 C.

FRIDAY will become quite windy in some northern counties, with the strongest winds by evening and overnight into Saturday morning. There may be some heavier showers moving south with this disturbance but some southern counties could remain dry much of the day. Highs will be near 15 C and winds will pick up to 30-50 mph at times in the north, more like 20-35 mph in the south.

SATURDAY will start off rather windy with risk of some squally morning showers, but should then become partly sunny and less windy. Highs will be around 15 C.

SUNDAY will be partly cloudy and rather cool, and by Monday morning it could be rather chilly in places, but most of next week is then looking quite warm again as winds gradually turn around to a southerly direction once this cooler high crests over Ireland and sinks southeast.

Well, at least things are starting to move again -- we have had some rather heavy showers here in the late afternoon and evening (Monday) and this has recently ended with about 8 mms recorded. It is about 13 C outside here at 1130 pm.

Wednesday, 30 September, 2009

TODAY will continue rather cloudy but with some brief sunny intervals, and a somewhat stronger west to northwesterly breeze at 15-25 mph for most locations. There may be some light showers at times across northwestern counties, and a few may survive long enough to reach the east coast, but totals of trace to 1 mms of rain will be about it for most. Highs today will be around 15-17 C.

TONIGHT will be partly cloudy, breezy and a little cooler, with lows of 7-9 C.

THURSDAY will become sunny at times as winds slacken again, and highs may reach 17 or 18 C. Winds across the far north will remain moderate at 10-20 mph but may drop off considerably further south.

FRIDAY will see increasing winds from the west (WSW morning veering to WNW evening), reaching 30-50 mph by evening in Donegal but 20-35 mph further south. With these winds, there will be a few showers at times, and considerable cloud with just brief sunny intervals. Highs will reach 15-17 C.

SATURDAY will be quite breezy with showers of rain or hail at times, heavier in the northwest than elsewhere. Winds will be about 20-40 mph from the WNW veering in Ulster to more NNW at times. It will feel quite chilly in the wind with highs of about 14-16 C.

SUNDAY is likely to start out with considerable low cloud breaking gradually to partly sunny skies, but there could also be some drizzly showers around, as the cool air mass from the north loses most of the strong breeze but remains rather chilly for the rest of the day. Lows of about 5-7 C will be followed by highs of about 14-16 C. With the winds lighter, it may not be that bad a day especially by afternoon.

MONDAY looks likely to bring a cool E to SE wind and periods of light rain, with highs of about 13-16 C.

TUESDAY, expect periods of rain and fog, with a SSE wind of 20-30 mph at times. Highs will be about 16-18 C.

WEDNESDAY, the early indications suggest rather strong and cold westerly winds setting in with squally showers. Highs would be about 12-14 C.

• Advertisement

Thursday, 1 October, 2009

TODAY will be cloudy with some brief sunny intervals by mid-day, as light drizzly showers have largely pushed south now; more may develop by evening in the northwest. Winds will be light northerly, then backing to light westerly by afternoon. Highs will generally be held down to 15-17 C.

TONIGHT will be cloudy with intervals of light rain and a freshening westerly wind at 15-25 mph, stronger at times in Donegal, with temperatures steady in the range 10-12 C.

FRIDAY will become quite breezy with intervals of rain, winds WSW 25-40 mph strongest in the northwest, and feeling rather chilly due to the wind mostly as temperatures will remain near 15 C.

SATURDAY will become windy at times especially in Ulster, but generally the winds will become NW 25-45 mph with frequent showers in the morning, giving way to some brief sunny intervals by afternoon. Rainfalls should average about 5 mms. Morning lows near 11 C will be followed by highs near 14 or 15 C.

SUNDAY will be rather chilly, low cloud and drizzle will keep morning lows around 4-7 C but the daytime highs will only struggle up to around 12-14 C with the cloud holding fairly steady until afternoon, with some sunny breaks and lighter NW winds than the previous few days.

MONDAY is currently expected to be mostly cloudy although some sunshine is possible in northern districts, and with light and variable winds eventually turning to the east by evening, highs near 14 C, and any rain delayed until about midnight or early morning Tuesday.

TUESDAY will bring periods of rain and E-NE winds at times 20-30 mph, with temperatures steady near 12-14 C.

The earlier concept of a warmup followed by strong winds seems to have disappeared into cyberspace (for the time being) and now we're expecting this moist east wind situation to hold on for a day or two longer, but the situation does not seem to be that well resolved yet really.

My weather on Wednesday was rather cool with variable amounts of cloud and one or two sprinkles of rain in the afternoon, but a few hours of sunshine and highs near 14 C. We're expecting cloud and showers through today.

Friday, 2 October, 2009

Keeping a close eye on developments to the northwest, but so far it looks like somewhat of a glancing blow at worst, with the strongest winds likely to head towards the Western Isles of Scotland. Up there, 60-70 mph gusts seem quite possible on Saturday morning; in far northern parts of Ireland, closer to 50 mph, and for most of Ireland, 40 mph is the call from here ... but watch for updates.

TODAY will bring mostly cloudy skies, although some southern counties may see brief sunny intervals this morning; showers will be hit or miss for the morning hours and then may merge into longer intervals of rain as winds pick up over most of the northern half of Ireland this afternoon, reaching WSW 20-40 mph, with highest temperatures near 15 C.

TONIGHT will continue quite windy with peak gusts of 50-55 mph in exposed northern districts, closer to 40 mph further south, as winds veer slightly from WSW to WNW through the night. Showers or periods of rain will continue, with a slight risk of thunder, and amounts of 4-7 mms. Lowest temperatures will be around 9-10 C.

SATURDAY will bring morning showers, squally at times, with wind gusts to about 50 mph from the NW, and highs of only 12-14 C, but skies should begin to break to partly cloudy by afternoon, with passing showers, and the strongest winds easing to 20-40 mph.

SATURDAY NIGHT will bring partial clearing although extensive low cloud may redevelop, preventing frost in some cases as temperatures will be getting rather close to 5 C in many areas and could hit 2-3 C in some rural spots. There may be some drizzle with the low cloud especially in the northwest coastal areas (and lows there will be milder, near 7 C).

SUNDAY will bring a mixture of cloud and sunshine as any morning drizzle dies out, and it will be quite cool and fresh despite much weaker winds from a northerly direction mainly. Highs will reach about 12-14 C.

MONDAY morning could bring a touch of ground frost here and there with clear skies in some areas, low cloud in others. Lows may reach 2-6 C. The day will feature some sunshine followed by increasing high cloud in the north, and lower cloud with rain arriving in the south by late afternoon or evening, as winds back around to the east. Highs will be generally 13-15 C.

TUESDAY will bring a period of steady rain with about 10-15 mms likely, and temperatures near 15-16 C, together with easterly winds becoming southerly later on.

WEDNESDAY should bring a breezy clearing trend from the west, followed by some more settled weather later in the week.

My weather on Thursday was cloudy with some occasional rain, not very heavy, and highs near 14 C.

Saturday, 3 October, 2009

TODAY will start out quite windy, although as advertised the really strong winds moved past the far northern reaches of Donegal and Northern Ireland overnight and hit around Tiree (Malin Head has had gusts to about 63 mph) ... it will remain quite gusty especially in the northern and eastern counties to about mid-day (WNW 30-50 mph), with passing showers, some a bit squally and possibly thundery ... some sunshine will begin to break through by mid-day especially in the southwest where it may not be that bad in any case ... and highs will reach about 13-15 C (feeling quite raw this morning in the strong winds). Any further rainfall is likely to be about 2-4 mms at most.

TONIGHT will see some patchy clearing but also extensive banks of low cloud with drizzle, as winds fall off to light (moderate in Ulster). Lows may vary from about 3-4 C under clear skies to 7 C under the low cloud.

SUNDAY will bring a mixture of cloud and sunshine, but probably more cloud in most western and northern counties, and there could still be some lingering drizzle. Highs will be held down to about 12-15 C.

MONDAY will have a near-frosty start with ground frost possible, although air temperatures may only reach 1-3 C in rural areas, and 3-6 C in larger towns and coastal locations. The day may start out sunny in the north especially but with banks of higher cloud overhead, lower cloud near the south coast edging northward and bringing light to moderate rain slowly further north by afternoon, in moderate E-SE winds (20-30 mph by evening). Highs will be near 13 C.

TUESDAY will be breezy, with a period of heavier rain (10-15 mms possible) during the late overnight or morning hours, then there will be a windshift from south to west, and gradual drying with a few breaks in the overcast although still a fair amount of cloud likely.

LATER in the week, higher pressure will gradually build in, bringing more settled weather again, and current indications are that there could be a prolonged warm and dry spell in mid-October (warm by October standards, at least during the daytime, but this sort of pattern could produce some dense fog at night).

Sunday, 4 October, 2009

The previous forecast is still generally valid, my apologies but this weekend I have been "under the weather" myself and sleeping my way back to health (in fact just woke up at 0400 here and feeling a bit better) ... had a look through the charts and everything seems about on track as per the above, so I will not tax my groggy senses any further, if some other boards forecasters want to take a turn later today with an update, that would be excellent, and I should be back to my normal routine later in time for Monday morning. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. -- MTC (I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Sunday, 4 October, 2009

The previous forecast is still generally valid, my apologies but this weekend I have been "under the weather" myself and sleeping my way back to health (in fact just woke up at 0400 here and feeling a bit better) ... had a look through the charts and everything seems about on track as per the above, so I will not tax my groggy senses any further, if some other boards forecasters want to take a turn later today with an update, that would be excellent, and I should be back to my normal routine later in time for Monday morning. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. -- MTC (I think)

Jaysus MT ,stay off that fookin whiskey.

We need you healthy ,you soak.

I dunno Bantam, it's probably that fish flu that Colonel Gaddafi was warning us about. I had supper at the usual time Saturday, said that I felt a bit tired, took some allergy medication (whiskey in your version) and and next thing I knew, it was 0400. Now it's 0620 and I can't sleep any more. I figure it's fish flu because I looked in the bathroom mirror and a fish was looking back at me. :eek:

Oh, there's just enough cognitive function left here to mention that on Saturday, the weather here was pleasantly sunny and about 16 C for a high. There is just a tiny bit of snow visible now on the north shore peaks (at about 6,000 ft asl).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Darwin

Thanks for the forecast MT. Met Eireann are showing a short-lived high going for a low pressure system to steam in from the Atlantic on Friday. I hope they are wrong as I like the sound of a mid-October mini summer!

Monday, 5 October, 2009

Tropical storm Grace has formed northeast of the Azores, and although it is a very small and rather weak system, it is apparently heading for Ireland. Remnants of the system will be swept into the frontal system already developing to the southwest of Ireland, and the resulting moisture should arrive on Tuesday. This may not amount to a great deal, but obviously it's something that we need to keep a close watch on, just in case.

This is also part of a revised scenario for later in the week, when higher pressure now seems likely to be somewhat diminished and held down over Europe more than the British Isles. In other words, the weather may stay somewhat disturbed through the period as the storm track is now expected to run closer to Ireland.

Here's the forecast in detail, but watch for updates ...

TODAY will start out dry and partly cloudy to overcast with a slight east wind, but rain will slowly edge its way north to reach the south coast around mid-day or early afternoon, and then gradually further north through the evening. Highs will be about 15-16 C today, with winds rising to SE 15-25 mph.

TONIGHT will be cloudy with periods of rain developing, 10-15 mms likely, and winds more southerly, 15-30 mph. Lows will be in the range 11-13 C.

TUESDAY will be showery and breezy with further rainfalls of 5-10 mms, and winds veering through SW to W 15-30 mph. Highs will be about 16 C.

WEDNESDAY will be cloudy with a few more showers or periods of light rain with winds becoming northeasterly 10-20 mph. Highs will be 13-15 C.

THURSDAY and FRIDAY, a weak ridge of high pressure will bring some dry intervals with a little clearing possible, although rather cloudy skies will prevail. Highs will continue in the range 14-16 C.

FRIDAY night and SATURDAY will probably bring showers or periods of rain, with highs near 16 C on Saturday.

Keeping a close eye on developments with Grace, and updates will be posted if heavier rainfall seems possible from this event.

The weather here on Sunday was sunny with a high near 18 C, and even warmer weather is building up with high pressure to our north. My health is slowly on the mend too, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Monday, 5 October, 2009

My health is slowly on the mend too, I think.

That's good to hear.
    (We can stand a bit of rain after a glorious September) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

meteoalarm for leinster and munster

valid from 06.10.2009 01:38 CET Until 06.10.2009 21:59 CETRain
    Awareness Level: Yellow

"Heavy rain at times - totals over 20 mm in places, may reach 30 or 40 mm locally."

• Advertisement

UPDATE _ 9:40 p.m. Monday

Tropical Storm Grace continues to move rapidly northeast and is currently located near 48 N 16 W. From this point on, it seems likely that the storm will rapidly lose its small circulation and be swept into a frontal zone now extending from its immediate north to the northwest of Ireland.

However, global models have only limited skill with these sorts of events and it is conceivable that Grace could hold together some of its circulation, which would result in some locally strong winds as well as the above mentioned heavy rains (which seem more certain).

Stay tuned for a further update around midnight as I continue to watch this system closely. The strong winds with it now probably cover an extent about half as wide as Ireland so it is not an enormously large system even before its incorporation into the frontal system (where winds are generally 20-30 mph). So I am not highly concerned about it, but anything is possible with these tropical systems, so join me around midnight or shortly thereafter for an update on progress. Whatever comes of this should arrive by about 0300 and cross the southeast before 0600h.

Meanwhile, enjoying quite a sunny and warm day here, 22 C at 1:45 p.m. on our Monday afternoon.

UPDATE _ Tuesday, 0020h

Grace now looking less organized and seems about ready to merge with the frontal band of cloud, centre now close to 49 N 14 W but by 0600h may be somewhat harder to locate as it is likely to be absorbed into the larger cloud mass. I would take a conservative view of potential here, and suggest 20-30 mm rainfalls in some parts of the south, and possibly a few wind gusts to near 35 mph by 0300-0600 as remnants continue to track northeast.

Will keep an eye on it and update again before the morning forecast if necessary, otherwise, further details in the morning forecast around 0530h.

While Grace is losing it, yours truly is feeling much better than yesterday.

Tuesday, 6 October, 2009

The low that was Tropical Storm Grace has now reached 50 N 11 W and is likely to continue northeast along Ireland's south coast this morning. There is enough moisture and circulation left to give concern for heavy rainfalls in the south, but winds are likely to remain generally below 30 mph.

TODAY then will feature periods of heavy rain south of a line from about Shannon to Dublin, where amounts could reach 30-50 mms. In central Ireland, amounts will be closer to 5-15 mms, and some northern counties will be largely dry although cloudy. Winds in most places will back to northeast, but may remain southeast this morning over counties between Cork and Wicklow. Highs will reach about 16 C there, but 12-14 C further north. The rain will begin to taper off to drizzle this afternoon and the central west coast could see a few brighter intervals before sunset. Winds will become NNW 15-30 mph.

TONIGHT will remain mostly cloudy with brief clear intervals mainly in the northwest. Lows will vary from 3-5 C in the northwest, to 7-9 C in the southeast where light rain could continue for a while.

WEDNESDAY will bring mostly cloudy skies and possibly a secondary area of rain in the south as a wave ripples along the front stalled just to the south of Ireland. Winds will be generally light northerly, and highs only 13-14 C.

THURSDAY will bring some sunny intervals after quite a cool morning start, with overnight lows of 3-6 C, then highs should reach 13-15 C.

FRIDAY will be cloudy with brisk and rather raw E to SE winds becoming southerly later, with some light rain, heavier in the west and northwest than elsewhere. Highs will reach 15 C eventually;

SATURDAY should see gradual improvement with westerly winds, low cloud and drizzle lifting by afternoon to brighter conditions. Highs will be near 14 C.

SUNDAY will be cloudy with showers developing, and highs near 16 C.

NEXT WEEK could be quite chilly as the weather begins to track in from the northwest and lows develop over northern France, giving a chilly northeast flow for Ireland at times.

Watch for an update around 0900h on today's rainfall potential.

UPDATE _ Tuesday, 0940h

A further 10-15 mms of rain may fall in parts of the south and southeast before this system weakens and dries out ... and some localized flooding remains a risk ... the remnant of the tropical storm is now located just south of Kerry and is tracking along the outer south coast through mid-afternoon.

As I'll be checking out now for a while, I hope one or two other boards weather people will update as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Just on the very edge of the rainband atm, still managed 22mm/0.87ins since midnight .

UPDATE _ Tuesday, 6:30 p.m.

The circulation of former TS Grace continues rather doggedly east-north-eastward to the south of Cork and near the Marathon platorm at this hour, it never totally lost its identity in the frontal zone but continued to pump moisture into southeast Ireland where I would imagine some rainfalls of 50-60 mms may be reported by end of today. For the past twelve hours one could describe this as a "hybrid" storm with some tropical characteristics and some ordinary low features. Quite an unusual event and no doubt a talking point for the ongoing debates about climate change, but the core of it never made landfall and seems unlikely to do so now in Ireland at least, it could eventually reach central Wales before being torn apart by increasing shear.

So far today here, another sunny day with quite a crisp start at 3-5 C around the region but on the way back up towards 20 C later on today.

Wednesday, 7 October, 2009

TODAY will feature some sunshine in central parts of Ireland, with a little more cloud to the north and south; some drizzle is possible with the cloud in the far north. Otherwise it should be quite a dry and cool day, with highs just around 11-13 C.

TONIGHT will feature more patchy ground frost with lows reaching about 1-3 C in some rural areas, 4-7 C in larger cities and coastal locations. Skies will be partly cloudy with mist or fog patches in low-lying areas.

THURSDAY will become more cloudy with light southeast winds developing, and a slight risk of drizzle in western counties by late in the day. Highs will reach about 13 C.

FRIDAY will be rather raw and wet with moderate SE winds becoming southerly at 15-25 mph. Highs will be about 14 C, rainfalls should average about 5 mms.

SATURDAY will remain rather cloudy with sporadic light rain or drizzle, but there could be some brief sunny intervals, and it will become a little warmer with highs near 16 C.

SUNDAY will be partly cloudy and mild with highs near 16 C.

NEXT WEEK is looking fairly settled and reasonably warm in the daytime although nights may be frosty in rural parts of Ireland. Winds will be light southeast to south.

Ice on the garden gate this morning at 08:00 - unusual for early October.

I noticed some official hourly readings of zero C this morning around 0500 but I haven't seen the actual low values yet, there could have been an official "air frost" last night if any of those reached 0.0 C or lower.

Looks even more possible in parts of south-central rural Ireland tonight.

About the same here, sunny and crisp autumn weather with local frost in the mornings although I am too far into the urban area to see it yet.

• Advertisement

We'll watch for this - we are outside the 'urban' area of Killorglin, about 4km down by the sea to the west.

Advertisement