Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Sorry to hear that Lir. It must be worrying for you.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just reading over the details for my appointment for the coil, it says no sex for three weeks before as they need to be sure you are not pregnant. Three weeks seems a bit much, especially if it has to be inserted during your period - kind if an indication of not being pregnant?! I looked up the NHS website & all their information say one week...
    Is this just an excessive Irish thing?

If you're not on a reliable mode of contraception and don't have regular periods (breastfeeding etc) then the NHS would generally expect you to abstain for 3 weeks as well. I had my first IUD inserted before my period came back after my second child was born and that's what I was told.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Does anyone have first hand experience to confirm whether or not colposcopy appointments are going ahead during the days the nurses are striking?

I saw before on the news that they wouldn't be cancelled, but it would be good to get confirmation. I know I could ring them, but I'm sure they're busy enough as it is atm...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has anyone with a Mirena had it move and cause problems?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Stheno wrote: »
    Not personally, no. But a friend of mine did.

I think I’m gonna get my GP to look at mine the next time I’m in. I started back on my bike and am getting spotting after every cycle (that never happened pre-mirena) so I want to get it checked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Stheno wrote: »

A friend had a coil which slipped out of place...she only discovered this when she found out she was pregnant :o

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

miamee wrote: »
    A friend had a coil which slipped out of place...she only discovered this when she found out she was pregnant :o

Same as!!!

Has anyone received any letters from cervical check? One of the 6000 that need to be retested that we’re due to be sent out by last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Has anyone received any letters from cervical check? One of the 6000 that need to be retested that we’re due to be sent out by last week?

I got mine today yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Anyone know how much it is to get mirena inserted for medical card holders?

Also how much spotting did you have after a smear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Lashes28 wrote: »

I didn't have any

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Anyone know how much it is to get mirena inserted for medical card holders?

It depends on your doctors fees for insertion, and unless you have had kids lots of GPs won’t put them in. I also don’t know if the Mirena itself is covered on the medical card, but it is covered under the drugs payment scheme.

As for spotting, never had any post smear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Very very slight.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

My last one was the only one I ever had an issue after.
    Actually thought the nurse had cut me.
    Was bleeding and very uncomfortable after.
    Rang GP and was told I was grand.

woodchuck wrote: »
    Does anyone have first hand experience to confirm whether or not colposcopy appointments are going ahead during the days the nurses are striking?

I saw before on the news that they wouldn't be cancelled, but it would be good to get confirmation. I know I could ring them, but I'm sure they're busy enough as it is atm...

Just to answer my own question in case anyone is curious or lurking, I got a phone call today to cancel my appointment that was on a strike day next week.

Any updates on smear waiting times? I phoned the helpline this morning and was told which lab mine was sent to to see if there’s anyway to speed it along

Does anyone else experience this.
    When I have my monthly, I bleed for maybe 3 days heavy enough. I then stop for 1 day and always think it is gone. Then 1 day later it returns but not as heavy and lasts another full day.
    I had a friend who told me same used happen to her.
    Does anyone else experience this and is there any specific explanation as to why it could happen?
    It's not exactly a problem but I'm just curious. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Does anyone else experience this.
    When I have my monthly, I bleed for maybe 3 days heavy enough. I then stop for 1 day and always think it is gone. Then 1 day later it returns but not as heavy and lasts another full day.
    I had a friend who told me same used happen to her.
    Does anyone else experience this and is there any specific explanation as to why it could happen?
    It's not exactly a problem but I'm just curious. Thanks.
    Might be no help to you but it often would happen to me too! I thought it was just me and I was strange! I just learned to make sure I had sanitary protection with me and to keep an eye for it starting again. Mine would be light to normal periods and often for the last little bit I could get away with a thicker panti liner as it would be fairly light. My explanation in my own mind was that the body is doing a little clear out of the remnants of the period. Doesn't happen on every period.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Might be no help to you but it often would happen to me too! I thought it was just me and I was strange! I just learned to make sure I had sanitary protection with me and to keep an eye for it starting again. Mine would be light to normal periods and often for the last little bit I could get away with a thicker panti liner as it would be fairly light. My explanation in my own mind was that the body is doing a little clear out of the remnants of the period. Doesn't happen on every period.

Thank you.
    Yes I've been caught out before without having sanitary wear because I thought it was over.
    It happens me every single month.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

Is there any way to track the progress or status of your smear tet on the cervical check website?

All I can find is a link to input your details to tell you if and when you're due another one.

As I've been having some symptoms the Doctor who took my smear test mentioned referring me to Gynae and for an ultrasound and a colposcopy.

I'm just wondering if I would have to wait for the results of the smear test before being referred for the above?

Not expecting any results back for at least 6 months going by what I've been reading online :(

• Advertisement

Any updates on smear waiting times? I phoned the helpline this morning and was told which lab mine was sent to to see if there’s anyway to speed it along

Do you mind me asking how long you've been waiting?

I didn't know you could ring to find out info like what lab your test has been sent to. That's great to know, so thanks for that.

Since beginning of November, they will tell you the lab

Morby wrote: »
    Is there any way to track the progress or status of your smear tet on the cervical check website?

All I can find is a link to input your details to tell you if and when you're due another one.

As I've been having some symptoms the Doctor who took my smear test mentioned referring me to Gynae and for an ultrasound and a colposcopy.

I'm just wondering if I would have to wait for the results of the smear test before being referred for the above?

Not expecting any results back for at least 6 months going by what I've been reading online :(

If you’re symptomatic of something, ask for the referral now. No need to wait for the test results. I’m not sure what the public waiting time for a gynae appt is, any time I have seen the gynae I have gone private.

Best bet is to speak to your doctor.

Afaik the date changes when the results are back for your test. So it will say next text due 17/2/2021.
    That means a letter has gone to you your gp too
    But theirs no other way of tracking it

sullivlo wrote: »
    If you’re symptomatic of something, ask for the referral now. No need to wait for the test results. I’m not sure what the public waiting time for a gynae appt is, any time I have seen the gynae I have gone private.

Best bet is to speak to your doctor.

Thank you so much for responding, appreciate it.

I will have to get back onto the Dr as I left the appointment a little unsure as to what steps would be taken next and any timeframe. It was a new locum doctor I had never met before and I was a little in shock and upset at the time and didn't want o go I've my appointment slot asking more questions so I left with more questions than answers unfortunately.

Morby wrote: »
    Thank you so much for responding, appreciate it.

I will have to get back onto the Dr as I left the appointment a little unsure as to what steps would be taken next and any timeframe. It was a new locum doctor I had never met before and I was a little in shock and upset at the time and didn't want o go I've my appointment slot asking more questions so I left with more questions than answers unfortunately.
    Ring tomorrow and request an appointment with the doctor in the practice that you’re most comfortable with. Explain you saw the locum and had concerns about some of what they said about your smear test, and could you make an appointment to discuss your options with the GP. Then make note of everything you discussed with the locum and write down every question you have. Every. Question. The doctor will be used to dealing with lists of questions.

Best of luck.

I've had the same experience. I've outlined my experience and timelines so far if helpful:

I had a smear around June and I was waiting about 3 months or so for the results. Once that was clear, then they referred me to a public gynaecology clinic. I got a letter in the post soon after the smear results to say that the waiting time for a gynae appointment was up to a year, but then a couple of weeks later I got another letter to say I had an appointment for the following month. I had my first gynae appointment in Nov and they referred me for a colposcopy and scan. I have the colposcopy this week (may need a further appointment for treatment also, not sure yet), the scan next month and then a follow-up back at the gynae clinic next month too.

So while it's all still dragging on a bit since last June, I do feel like it's progressing at least. With the increased smear times atm though, personally I'd go ahead and try to push for a referral to gynaecology clinic now if possible instead of waiting possibly 6 months for the results of the smear.

Your gp can try and speed up your results by phoning the clinic. You may need to pay extra but it can be done.
    I’m just wondering though Does abnormal results come back quicker then clear ones? Or does it make any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Hi ladies,

Got my letter from Cervical Check to say to contact my nurse or GP. Nurse isn’t available over the phone until tomorrow afternoon. However online it says that my next smear isn’t due for 3 years. Anyone else any experience with this? Very nervous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Isn't that just to get your results-the all clear?

Advertisement