Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I dunno Cass, growing up we didn't call it toxic masculinity, we called it being a prick and you weren't supposed to do it because, well, it was being a prick.

But today's kids wear lumberjack shirts and coiffed hairdos and talk about how a woman's place is in the home and make out like *thats* what we're supposed to do.

Dunno about you but I don't coiff my hair, I don't wear canadian cosplay outfits when chopping wood, and my mom would have given them a right hiding for the way they talk.

So toxic seems to fit.

And honestly? I'll take that ad over them putting a vibrator in a razor. I mean, lads, if I wanted to shave with a sex toy... well, I don't think I could tick the "mental health" box on my FCA1 for a start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sparks wrote: »
    I dunno Cass, growing up we didn't call it toxic masculinity, we called it being a prick and you weren't supposed to do it because, well, it was being a prick.
    Well then call it being a prick and not toxic masculinity.

Masculinity itself is not toxic but if you continue attaching wife beating, bigotry, sexism, and everything else that is bad to being masculine it is disingenuous, erroneous and harmful.

This is a consequence of upbringing. Kids today never hear the word no, are given credit just for participating, are being confused and mislead with all the talk about gender identity, etc, etc.

Some stats about kids without Fathers:
    • 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes
    • 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes
    • 85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes
    • 80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes
    • 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes
    • Fatherless children are twice as likely to drop out of school.
    • Children with Fathers who are involved are 40% less likely to repeat a grade in school.
    • Children with Fathers who are involved are 70% less likely to drop out of school.
    • Children with Fathers who are involved are more likely to get A’s in school.
    • Children with Fathers who are involved are more likely to enjoy school and engage in extracurricular activities.
    • 75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes.

I'm not saying there are traits that could do with being eliminated, but that is a case of teaching, showing, and educating. Labeling all masculinity as toxic is a farce, and an easy cop out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I think their point of calling it "toxic masculinity" instead of "masculinity" is that if you think things like wifebeating are a part of "masculinity" then your idea of masculine is pretty toxic. And wasn't the point of the ad that those things are not what it means to be masculine?

I mean, I don't see where all the fuss is coming from. Ad says "these ****heads are not what it means to be masculine, being masculine is something better and is a positive thing". We used to just say "these ****heads are ****heads, don't be a ****head". Same difference really.

I think their point of calling it "toxic masculinity" instead of "masculinity" is that if you think things like wifebeating are a part of "masculinity" then your idea of masculine is pretty toxic. And wasn't the point of the ad that those things are not what it means to be masculine?

I mean, I don't see where all the fuss is coming from. Ad says "these ****heads are not what it means to be masculine, being masculine is something better and is a positive thing". We used to just say "these ****heads are ****heads, don't be a ****head". Same difference really.

I don't know if its my computer or the site, but it's taken ages to get a reply written/posted and then i'm getting duplicate post notices when i don't post it twice.

Anywho.

Kids play fighting has happened since the dawn of time. However they lump that into a man either going to or just after grabbing a woman's ass. the two are not connected. I mean one is playing and the other is sexual assault.

The ad doesn't affect me, or even bother to the point i think about it, i just find it slightly annoying that a company that caters almost exclusively to men (or at least men are the majority of its market share) would go the same route as Man size tissues, and Yorkies.

My original point was also not so much about the advert, i was simply citing it as another example of trotting out it's men's fault, but that masculinity is a fault, but feminism cannot be called toxic. It's akin to some i've heard saying blacks cannot be racist, or whites are inherently racist simply because we're white.

It's a broad sweeping and incorrect assumption, as per the video i linked above, based on no evidence and is another example of identity politics.

Anyway, it's not that important, just shooting the breeze.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

On to funnier stuff.

Anyone see this new "craze" of the bird box challenge? In case you're not aware there is a "film" (i use the term loosely) on Netflix called Bird Box. Without giving too much away
    there is an unknown force that if seen will kill you
    . In one scene the people have to travel to a shop but
    without being able to see (as they're blindfolded) so they use the sat nav to navigate their way.

The new craze is now for people to wear a blindfold and drive.

Seriously, you couldn't make this sh*t up.

Next craze will probably be Russian Roulette with a semi auto. :rolleyes:

It's true what they say, you don't have to kill stupid people, just remove the warning label and let nature takes it's course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The bird box...What a POS film made from a pretty good novel. But then again in an age where teenagers last year were eating soap detergent laundry pods, or burning themselves on cooker hot plates, or inhaling condoms up their noses [Pity their parents never used one for its intended function:rolleyes:]as a challenge...
    Maybe this year it will be the "feel the burn!" challenge? Or the "the industrial wood chipper" challenge? Or the most difficult one the, "Get some ****in basic cop on will ya, you fool??" challenge.

Seriously Back in 1950 the Twilight zone had a story about a guy who was put in suspended animation in the 1950s and woke up in the 2050s to find he is the smartest guy on the planet!He finds himself in a world inhabited by sub IQ beings. Think they were out by fifty years. It is happening sooner than we think. Stupidity is contagious.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

@MODS..Yes there is something going on with the site.I had to delete a double post, and excuse the "Mac Guiverd" post as it won't allow editing of a previously posted post for some reason.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Was having a look at that Gillette ad again last night.Odd that all the "bad man examples" in it are all WHITE guys.:rolleyes:

Proctor&Gamble who own Gilette, are the last company to be trying "virtue signalling".Still, they have now got free global advertising of their brand name with this one ad, that would have cost millions doing it via an NYC 5th Ave advertising agency. Should keep the shareholders happy this year.;) Cos in the end that's all its about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭deezell

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Was having a look at that Gillette ad again last night.Odd that all the "bad man examples" in it are all WHITE guys.:rolleyes:

Proctor&Gamble who own Gilette, are the last company to be trying "virtue signalling".Still, they have now got free global advertising of their brand name with this one ad, that would have cost millions doing it via an NYC 5th Ave advertising agency. Should keep the shareholders happy this year.;) Cos in the end that's all its about.

They couldn't give a monkey's about meetoo or any of that, just jumping on rhe bandwagon to sell razor blades.

• Advertisement

I see our unelected leader shut down Kildare street to prevent the "Not My Taoiseach" march/protest. AGS fenced off the place (funny everyone in America says fences don't work) and demanded ID.

Not sure what Act it is but ID does not have to be produced within the state unless a member of AGS believe or have witnessed you committing an offence.

That aside between the millions spent on propaganda and shutting down any sort of opposition does anyone think he is overstepping his mark?

On another note two convicted sexual predators, one a horrible (burn in hell you rotten bastard) paedophile were allowed to walk from court with probation or suspended sentences yet Ben Gilroy sent away for 3 months for contempt which he got by calling the court names.

We're doing well aren't we? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 1349

But today's kids wear lumberjack shirts and coiffed hairdos and talk about how a woman's place is in the home and make out like *thats* what we're supposed to do.

This is the most hilariously idiotic strawman I've ever seen. I feel that it has to be sarcastic, but in the context of your other posts....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

In light of their newfound dislike of toxic masculinity, I wonder do Gillette still advocate this type of sponsorship? I'm all for it by the way. :D

31a2e14417570fa563643f2b802b10f2.jpg

Why does Aerosmith's "Dude, looks like a lady!*" spring instantly to mind on looking at that pic? Turns around and "she" has a full-length ZZTop style beard!:eek::D:D These days you never know!!!:D

*For the permanently offended out there. Dude was written long before gender was any sort of an issue,and it has nothing to do with slagging off CDs.Steven Tyler mistook one of the band members of Motley crue,for a woman in a bar back in the big hair days of the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭stigmau5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭deezell

New car recovery business. Are these guys having a laugh?
    http://www.cameltow.ie/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8PGBiYmJ4AIVGeXtCh2WvgjrEAEYASAAEgKCYvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

stigmau5 wrote: »

Thats hard to watch:p, Just a though i very much doubt those lads both had a licence on that .22 plus their target shooting on a unauthorized range.
    Now im not saying i care , but thats up for all to see including AGS:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

stigmau5 wrote: »
    Jesus christ..... who gave you a rifle? That is probably one of the dumbest things iv seen in a long time. Bushes as a backstop???? 5.17 you can see the ricochet go straight through the bush above and right of the target.

Do everyone a favour and stick to the airsoft until you learn to use that properly. Your mate who owns it should know better

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

From Facebook.
    kopp6MX.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Benchmade knives over in the US recently helped the Oregon police department cut up some seized firearms , over the last few days this has caused a awful stir over there among firearms owners it looks like it will hurt their business quite badly youll see boycotting of the company across all sorts of social media platforms right now. Id say the anger comes from the fact Oregon is now pursuing very harsh new firearms legislation and thus the backlash from gun owners seeing a private company that purports to be pro 2A and pro gun helping to cut up firearms
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/02/21/benchmade-helps-destroy-guns/

Are you f**king sh**ing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's bad enough we are the open door for Islamic terrorists to Europe, but now we invite them back with open arms. Our unelected leader is drinking too much of the same juice that numpty in Canada is.

For the sweet love of baby Jesus, what is it coming to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Hopefully he means we don't shirk our duty as a nation of origin for these people and put them through our courts, and the european courts, and imprison them if they are deserving.

Of course hatespeech is an immediate crime so off to prison you go!

Hopefully he means we don't shirk our duty as a nation of origin for these people
    Any obligation to "these people" as you put it, ended when they left to fight for a terrorist group.
    and put them through our courts, and the european courts, and imprison them if they are deserving.
    Yeah because what we need to to bring home these terrorists, pay for their care, medical needs, legal defense, court costs, and then the cost of having to lock them for if found guilty.

Lets just ignore the bit about being a member of a terrorist organisation is an offence to begin with.
    Of course hatespeech is an immediate crime so off to prison you go!
    Brilliant that a terrorist can leave this country, fight to kill any not muslim, then be openly welcomed home. I speak about it, as is my right under the constitution (section 40.6.1) and i'm sent to jail.

Bit like not paying your TV license, being sent to prison for not paying the fine, where you get free TV.

Anyway. Could you point out he hate speech please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hard to prove that they were fighting for ISIS all the same. "I was doing humanitarian work M'Lud".

Hard to prove they broke any laws. Not standing up for them by the way. They should be fcuked into a barrel and burned in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

OK. you are quite incensed.

In my first statement i am not defending terrorists, i am merely saying we should not abdicate our responsibilities as a nation that failed to prevent them from being such people and own our responsibilities in this respect. What is your solution?

I will grant you if we could leave them stranded with a recinded passport in syria that would be convenient.

But what are you advocating? A firing squad?

Just realised, the hatespeech comment was aimed at the radical terrorists not you, really sorry if that's how you perceived it!

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Hard to prove that they were fighting for ISIS all the same. "I was doing humanitarian work M'Lud".

Hard to prove they broke any laws. .
    Say what you will about our national police force but they are not so incompetent as t label someone as an isis terror suspect without having intelligence tot he same. Also they rely on other countries and security reports to determine such things.

He is a dual national,he can sod off back to whatever "Stan" country he came from in the first place. Same like that British/ Bangladeshi one over in the UK. Dodgy marriage for an Irish passport, and citizenship and he "just happened to be tricked into joining ISIL."

Sure, happens to the best of us...There you are minding your own business up on O Connell st in Dublin. Next minute before you know it, you are off in full battle rattle with an AK and a beard in cammies out in some desert ****hole shooting at Western collation forces, and yelling" Aloha snackbar":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Pull the other one there !Got bells on it.

Ireland is a soft touch to those lot and they know it. We don't have any proper laws dealing with Irish nationals fighting in foreign armies.[Although Irish mercenaries have been doing so for centuries]. So you can pitch up,do a few months fighting and come home as plain ol Paddy.No problem. We are now a known logistics,and Rest and Recuperation centre for radical Islamists.

It's time we send a message, that we might be easy going and look like thick ejits,but if you turn dirty, like radical Islam dirty or hate preaching in your mosques, or anyway supporting that ****e in any shape or form we will come down on ye like we did on our home-grown lot in the Troubles,and it will be like a ton of lead.:mad:

OK. you are quite incensed.
    At the prospect of terrorists and fundamentalists that are hell bent on destroying us being allowed back into the country, yes. At you, not a bit.
    In my first statement i am not defending terrorists, i am merely saying we should not abdicate our responsibilities as a nation that failed to prevent them from being such people and own our responsibilities in this respect.
    Exactly what failings, either societal or institutional, lead to him and others running to a terrorist group that will kill you for being you?

As to our responsibilities, any imagined responsibility you think we, as a nation, have towards these people ended when they left to join this terrorist group.
    What is your solution?
    First and foremost, do not let him or anyone else back in. Whether they are involved in any actions is irrelevant, membership to this group is in itself cause for revocation of citizenship. Same with this notion of "isis brides". They are not brides, they are isis. Simple as that.

WE cannot, just cannot, become like Canada where the overtly liberal notion of "everyone is entitled to _________" (fill in the blank) we must protect ourselves. Doing this against unknown or unidentified threats is hard enough without bringing back known threats.

Once they step foot back on Irish soil the option to remove them again becomes significantly harder.
    I will grant you if we could leave them stranded with a recinded passport in syria that would be convenient.
    If they were willing to travel to a war zone, and prepared to die for their cause, then they can stay there. In my mind, however overly simplified you may think it may be, that is an immediate forefeture of any rights you have as an Irish citizen. Loosing does not give them a pass to return and spread their hate.
    But what are you advocating? A firing squad?
    As above. Revocation of citizenship and passport. The hard work of getting rid of this scourge is done, now just keep it out.
    Just realised, the hatespeech comment was aimed at the radical terrorists not you, really sorry if that's how you perceived it!
    Ah, i did, my bad.

This thread exists to discuss everyday things and everyday topics not directly shooting related. It's not meant as a serious platform for discussion as their are dedicated forums to deal with pretty much every subject you can think of. However this subject is something i cannot fathom.

Bringing back known or suspected terrorists is beyond stupid to me. isis is on the verge of destruction. I know it's not gone away, but as a single organised group it's time is almost at an end and so this leaves thousands if not tens of thousands of displaced terrorists with a dilemma. Where to go, and what to do.

They won't have changed in their beliefs and they'll bring that extremism back to what ever country they return to. It's happening here, the UK, Canada, America, etc. They are all starting to see a return of people that left to fight with a terrorist group.

To me that means they lost any protection the country may have offered them and now the country in question must protect it's citizens that did NOT choose to go fight for a terrorist group. Its this "lets all get along" thinking that scars me because while we are so focused on being "human" and "polite" and trying not to offend them, they are planning how to kill us.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »

Driving an ambulance, wasn't it???.... Hmmm, did it have the exhaust tailpipe plumbed into the sealed rear cab? :mad:
    Wouldn't put it past those medieval barbarians.

Advertisement