Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I use it regularly, actually when I say regularly it's when I can get a bike, the system they have requires a shuttle service for bikes back out to the stations. I know if I hit St.James' after 8.15 there won't be a bike left and all the stations on the outskirts will be empty.

And then when I get to a city centre station to return the bike I won't find a space. I'd happily pay €50 a year for a better service rather than the €25 for a mediocre service that I get now at an admittedly ridiculously cheap price

I always thought a small charge of 5-10c to users who take bikes from over demand statious, and 5-10c credits to users who leave bikes at stations needing bikes. The network should be way bigger than it currently is

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Eamonnator wrote: »
    ^^^^^
    seems a bit harsh, being pepper sprayed for listening to Oliver!
    Indeed.

Several of the reports into the culture of AGS have identified that Templemore doesn't spend enough time teaching appreciation of the works of Lionel Bart, but those reports just sit there on the shelf unimplemented.

It's a sad indictment of the state of the policing in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Can someone tell me does compact gearing only refer too the front two rings or can it refer too the cassette aswell.
    Thanks, apologies if terminology is off. If you have a easy to understand guide between standard and compact that would also be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Lumen wrote: »

It's a sad indictment of the state of the policing in this country.

Fings Ain't Wot They Used T'Be

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lumen wrote: »
    Several of the reports into the culture of AGS have identified that Templemore doesn't spend enough time teaching appreciation of the works of Lionel Bart
    true story - i got a friend who was in the cadets in the irish army in trouble years ago, when i posted him a copy (on tape, obviously) of 'bone machine' by tom waits. when he played it in his room, his comhloir (that's a very rough stab at how i think the word is spelt) heard it, he hated it so much he gave my friend some extra duties for listening to such dross.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Old Perry wrote: »
    Can someone tell me does compact gearing only refer too the front two rings or can it refer too the cassette aswell.
    Thanks, apologies if terminology is off. If you have a easy to understand guide between standard and compact that would also be helpful.

Pretty sure your just talking about the front chainrings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Old Perry wrote: »
    my understanding:
    compact - 50/34
    semi-compact - 52/36
    standard - 53/39

i've not heard the word compact being used in reference to the cassette.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

i've not heard the word compact being used in reference to the cassette.
    Me neither but I'd guess that it would be inverse,
    11-23 would be pretty compact in 10/11speed but wouldn't be in the spirit of the "easier geared" compact cranks.
    11-45 MTB on the other hand would be easier geared but in no way compact.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

What's a 48/32? I used that today for the first time. Felt like I wasn't trying at all sometimes. Marvellous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

manafana wrote: »
    I always thought a small charge of 5-10c to users who take bikes from over demand statious, and 5-10c credits to users who leave bikes at stations needing bikes. The network should be way bigger than it currently is

It's not like the users taking them from stations in high demand are doing it just to be inconvenient, there should just be bigger stations/a few more of the trucks reallocating bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Weepsie wrote: »
    What's a 48/32? I used that today for the first time. Felt like I wasn't trying at all sometimes. Marvellous.
    Sub or Super compact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

i think i may have posted about this before, but i'm always bemused by this cycle lane nearby (on griffith avenue extension), which has been recently repainted. why did they even bother? the bin in the line of the cycle path, and then to put a sli na slainte sign in what is already a pinch point of sorts.

especially when the road is so wide for one which actually doesn't carry enough traffic to justify two lanes in each direction.

467294.jpg

Im on that road very often going towards Cremore/Glasilawn etc. 2 lanes, and both nice and wide, but still there always seems to be at least one car right behind you when on the bike for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

It's not like the users taking them from stations in high demand are doing it just to be inconvenient, there should just be bigger stations/a few more of the trucks reallocating bikes.

no but point would be that their is a luxury tax, so lesser used routes or off peak use are currently very cheap, and rush hour use covers a small cost of moving bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

sli na slainte
    Sli na slanty more like it :pac: I wonder what knocked the pole.

He should have got a Trek Lexa Luthor

• Advertisement

If the bike ever develops an annoying squeak, I can't see it ending well.

467345.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Every time I hear the name Gene Hackman, I automatically think of Karl Malden and 'The Streets of San Francisco'. I don't know why. It just seems to be embedded in my brain :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Weepsie wrote: »
    Im on that road very often going towards Cremore/Glasilawn etc. 2 lanes, and both nice and wide, but still there always seems to be at least one car right behind you when on the bike for whatever reason.

The lane closest to the kerb often has parked cars in it, school football or just lazy, so most people just stick to the outside lane. If you get stuck behind a parked car you could be there awhile some mornings/evenings.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Is there a scarier car sticker than one that depicts an irate woman blasting the horn with the caption: "Psycho Mum's Taxi"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Is there a scarier car sticker than one that depicts an irate woman blasting the horn with the caption: "Psycho Mum's Taxi"?

There's someone that picks up junior infants at a local kids school. The sticker in the back window is "Fake Taxi" in the same font and style of certain adult entertainment videos. If you don't know it, don't google it if there's anyone around. WTF is wrong with some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's someone that picks up junior infants at a local kids school. The sticker in the back window is "Fake Taxi" in the same font and style of certain adult entertainment videos. If you don't know it, don't google it if there's anyone around. WTF is wrong with some people.

On that note, there's also a place on Fitzwilliam Square called 'The Casting Couch'

EDIT: Do not google this in public/work etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Not quite as X-rated but I did see a break-down vehicle recently from a company called Camel Tow...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

cjt156 wrote: »
    Not quite as X-rated but I did see a break-down vehicle recently from a company called Camel Tow...
    I'm local and he drives like a complete maniac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is it illegal to travel in reverse (with traffic flow)?

There was a bit of a tailback on the R127 today caused by a tractor driver travelling in reverse. He was going southbound in the correct lane just that he was back to front. Very unusual - probably the first time I've seen it.

I'm presuming it would definitely be illegal in darkness.

Advertisement