Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

CramCycle wrote: »
    Ask Google and Sheldon will answer:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

Hmm...must start trying that out - makes sense when you see it in black & white.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I tend to only use the back brakes if I mess up a corner or if I don't like the road surface tbh.

I was kind of conditioned to it after riding a motorbike for a couple of years; when both brakes are on the same side, you learn to discern between them almost unconsciously, and you also learn very quickly which brake will slow you down from 80km/h the fastest!

On a bicycle, it can become a bad habit to just pull both brakes without thinking about which is which.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I have always used both brakes together, and have conditioned myself to ease off on either brake if I can sense that wheel beginning to lock up.

If I'm descending in damp/wet conditions, I favour the rear brake a bit more when controlling my speed, but otherwise try to keep things even.

Also, for emergency stops (with both brakes), try to train yourself to straighten your arms and slide back on the saddle - you'll be shifting your weight back (helping prevent a rear-wheel skid) - and lean the bike to one side - if the rear wheel does lock up, you'll be able to perform a "speedway skid".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

If you're near D8 I have the tool needed, will take 2 seconds

Got that sorted yesterday evening. Thanks again for the offer.

They didn't charge, the bike was still under warranty, twas only a two minute job at the same time. I got it last January and brought it in a few weeks later for the tune up, or whatever it is that they recommend.

The lad looking at it asked if i had brought it in for the tune up, he was figuring by the shape it was in that i hadn't. :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Quick one regards bolts and torque.

New bike arrived today, so set it up. Just attaching the handlebars and it states 5nm, but my torque wrench goes up by 2(2,4,6,8 etc).

Is it ok to tighten to 4nm instead of the 5nm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Quick one regards bolts and torque.

New bike arrived today, so set it up. Just attaching the handlebars and it states 5nm, but my torque wrench goes up by 2(2,4,6,8 etc).

Is it ok to tighten to 4nm instead of the 5nm

Yup. 5nm is the *maximum* torque. It's usual to tighten to 80% of max torque, which just happens to be 4nm! Use some fibre grip rather than over-tightening to stop it slipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

TychoCaine wrote: »
    Yup. 5nm is the *maximum* torque. It's usual to tighten to 80% of max torque, which just happens to be 4nm! Use some fibre grip rather than over-tightening to stop it slipping.

Cheers, got some assembly gel for the handlebars, seat post and pedals

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭dahat

How does one know when a saddle is past its best use?

I've a second hand Fizik Antares on the winter bike and when you press it in the middle it dips.

Normal or fooked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Once you confirm that the body and rails haven’t cracked/become disconnected etc, and that it’s still comfortable for you(r butt), then it’s still ok.
    There aren’t any more specific rules for replacement, other than don’t ignore discomfort.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've a saddle that's the same. It's grand and not uncomfortable. It'll be swapped out eventually though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dahat wrote: »
    How does one know when a saddle is past its best use?

I've a second hand Fizik Antares on the winter bike and when you press it in the middle it dips.

Normal or fooked?
    My one cracked in the middle, going round a bend I heard it pop. Fizik replaced it, no questions asked so I presume it's an accepted issue. It was bending a bit before it went. Not dangerous, just felt like the seat post dropped by a cm or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭dahat

My one cracked in the middle, going round a bend I heard it pop. Fizik replaced it, no questions asked so I presume it's an accepted issue. It was bending a bit before it went. Not dangerous, just felt like the seat post dropped by a cm or two.

I may pop them an email to enquire about the status of it bending in the middle.

You are lucky it didnt break in two under you!

I was sticking on a pannier rack on the bike yesterday and stripped one of the screws on it. No budging it now.

Looking online and it's saying that using a vice grip or stick a rubber band into it and go again. I don't have a vice grip in Dublin.

I might get cheap hack saw and use a flat head screw driver to get it off?

Any other options for this type of screw?

I was only putting it on to see if it fits. I don't even have a pannier bag to put on it yet. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I was sticking on a pannier rack on the bike yesterday and stripped one of the screws on it. No budging it now.

Looking online and it's saying that using a vice grip or stick a rubber band into it and go again. I don't have a vice grip in Dublin.

I might get cheap hack saw and use a flat head screw driver to get it off?

Any other options for this type of screw?

I was only putting it on to see if it fits. I don't even have a pannier bag to put on it yet. :mad::mad:

Do you have a pliars? that would also do the job.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Do you have a pliars? that would also do the job.

Yeah, i was at it with a pliers. Didn't get much traction with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭cletus

Looks like a hex head. You should be able to get it to turn with a vise grips. It might help to file a pair of flats into it, but tbh, if you get a good bite, you should be ok

cletus wrote: »
    Looks like a hex head. You should be able to get it to turn with a vise grips. It might help to file a pair of flats into it, but tbh, if you get a good bite, you should be ok

I'll get a vice grip from somewhere. Bloody pain in the tits.

Cheers.

Buy one. I have built up a substantial tool collection over the years by buying a tool when i need to do a job. Then you have it for the next time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If your in South Dublin, i have one or two you could borrow but they are not too pricy, I think they maybe in Aldi at the minute as well.

Buy one. I have built up a substantial tool collection over the years by buying a tool when i need to do a job. Then you have it for the next time.
    If your in South Dublin, i have one or two you could borrow but they are not too pricy, I think they maybe in Aldi at the minute as well.

Cheers lads. I'll be able to get one off the father in law. :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

If it's a hex head, try hammering a suitably sized torx bit into the head. You'll likely get a turn on that.

It's usually the case that torx will work with a worn hex head and sometimes the other way will work if you're stuck.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    If it's a hex head, try hammering a suitably sized torx bit into the head. You'll likely get a turn on that.

It's usually the case that torx will work with a worn hex head and sometimes the other way will work if you're stuck.

Thanks, i'll give that a go with the drill after i hammer it in.

I'd avoid the drill. Too much torque suddenly applied. Much better to use a bit holder on a ratchet and turn slowly by hand.

Lads, yis are offering solutions to the man to avoid buying tools, when he has a legitimate reason to tell the wife he has to buy a new tool. In fact, if he was any good, he could string it out into needing a vise grips, a set of pliers, a set of Allen keys and torx keys, and maybe even one of those little impact screwdriver sets I keep meaning to pick up...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Lads, yis are offering solutions to the man to avoid buying tools, when he has a legitimate reason to tell the wife he has to buy a new tool. In fact, if he was any good, he could string it out into needing a vise grips, a set of pliers, a set of Allen keys and torx keys, and maybe even one of those little impact screwdriver sets I keep meaning to pick up...

or a new bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

If that's a metric size hex bolt, you could try forcing the next size up into the head, or an imperial size that will be slightly bigger.
    If you don't have those, try a rubber band over the end of the correct size allen key, or steel wool.
    If you're in NCD I have vise grips, screw extractors and screw grab that will remove that - you'd be welcome to borrow or I could do it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Back wheel was all over the place on the way home and upon inspection found a crack. Its a hybrid I use for commuting 22k each way so don't fancy chancing it again. Wheel is a 622-16 what do I look for when replacing it? Just that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

So I'm finding out there's a lot to looking for a new rim! Bike has a 10 speed freehub and disc brakes so options are limited or am I looking for the wrong stuff?

If that's a metric size hex bolt, you could try forcing the next size up into the head, or an imperial size that will be slightly bigger.
    If you don't have those, try a rubber band over the end of the correct size allen key, or steel wool.
    If you're in NCD I have vise grips, screw extractors and screw grab that will remove that - you'd be welcome to borrow or I could do it for you
    Ah cheers mate, I'm in the salubrious south Dublin 'burbs of Tallaght though. :D

I'm going to hit the shed hard tonight and try out the various suggestions.

Edit: And i have a bloody vice grip. Down in Galway!

• Advertisement

tnegun wrote: »
    So I'm finding out there's a lot to looking for a new rim! Bike has a 10 speed freehub and disc brakes so options are limited or am I looking for the wrong stuff?

10-speed hub with disc shouldn't be too hard to find if you're replacing the wheel.

If you want to replace just the rim and can identify the existing rim and it's a 32/36 hole, you might find a direct replacement. Otherwise, you have to work out the effective rim diameter (ERD) which defines how long your spokes need to be and then find a hub with the same ERD.

If you're replacing the wheel, consider a dynamo wheelset for €140 delivered. Spend another €60 on lights and you've got a serious upgrade to your commuter...

Advertisement