Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vegan alternatives - Hellman's Vegan Mayonnaise

Options
  • 02-01-2019 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

I was amazed to discover Hellman's Mayo have a new Vegan version and it's actually lovely. I thought I'd share in case anyone didn't know. I got it in Dunne's in glass jar. Didn't see a squeezy version.

Anyone else discover new vegan versions of anything? I'm really hoping to find vegan cheese and onions crisps somewhere :)

Also, I'm probably late in discovering this but Ben and Jerry's ice cream vegan version is unbelievable. It's great to see big brands getting on board.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I was amazed to discover Hellman's Mayo have a new Vegan version and it's actually lovely. I thought I'd share in case anyone didn't know. I got it in Dunne's in glass jar. Didn't see a squeezy version.

Anyone else discover new vegan versions of anything? I'm really hoping to find vegan cheese and onions crisps somewhere :)

Also, I'm probably late in discovering this but Ben and Jerry's ice cream vegan version is unbelievable. It's great to see big brands getting on board.

Most cheese & onion crisps just use a flavouring....as in, they don’t actually contain milk/cheese. Hunky dory cheese & onion crisps are vegan as far as I’m aware. You’d get vegan mayo in any health food shop. Aldi are going to be selling it soon enough, along with nutritional yeast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Most cheese & onion crisps just use a flavouring....as in, they don’t actually contain milk/cheese. Hunky dory cheese & onion crisps are vegan as far as I’m aware. You’d get vegan mayo in any health food shop. Aldi are going to be selling it soon enough, along with nutritional yeast.

Vegan mayo from health shops is disgusting in my experience. This stuff is nice.

I didn't know that about Hunk Dory C&Onion. I will check that out! Most cheese and onion crisps actually do contain milk in the ingredients list. (I wasn't assuming they chop up cheese and onions :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Was away last year with the wife's family. Her sister is vegan and it seemed ridiculous to buy one jar of veganaise for her and a "normal" one for the rest of us, so we just used the veganaise. Have to say I didn't notice any difference. I think we'd definitely be more inclined to go with this if it's sold in normal shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Vegenaise is the best vegan mayo I've ever tasted, definitely as good as any Hellmans taste-wise.
    They do the original one, a garlic one and a few other varieties.
    Nourish and some other health stores stock them, haven't seen them in any supermarkets yet.

https://followyourheart.com/products/original-3/

Vegan mayo from health shops is disgusting in my experience. This stuff is nice.

I didn't know that about Hunk Dory C&Onion. I will check that out! Most cheese and onion crisps actually do contain milk in the ingredients list. (I wasn't assuming they chop up cheese and onions :D )

We use veganise or however it’s spelt. It’s lovely. I think ‘King’ cheese & onion are also vegan. I prefer salt & vinegar anyway.

• Advertisement

Can't believe there are two commercially known cheese and onion crisps vegan friendly. That's what I get for looking at Tayto, Keoghs, O'Donnells etc. Need to check out Hunky Dory and King ASAP. Pretty sure neither were suitable up to two years ago but maybe I missed them.

Glad I posted!

Anything I'm missing on the chocolate front? Any decent bars suitable that aren't solid chocolate (eg a dark choc bar with orange or chilli etc) -- any fun bars equivalent to twix, boost, double decker etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Plamil do a wonderful organic vegan mayo, the best of the bunch IMO. In glass too: we don’t need a single solitary extra piece of plastic.

On another note, I wrote to McVities some time ago pointing out that replacing a single ingredient would expose their dark chocolate digestives to both the dairy-intolerant and the vegan cohorts. No response, will have to remind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

what I would find objectionable though its the same with standard mayo is that over 70% is rapeseed oil. these oils are highly processed and would be high on my list of suspect inflammatory modern "foods".

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

A good reason to support Plamil - it’s 55% organic sunflower oil.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

hellmans is in aldi now too, as well as tesco etc.
    Veganaise is now sold in Dunnes which is great as they are an all vegan company.

• Advertisement

Veganaise is now sold in Dunnes which is great as they are an all vegan company.

Vegan Ben & Jerry’s is €5 in Tesco. Well it was yesterday when I was in there.

Couldn’t find the beyond meat burger or whatever it’s called.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The magnums are on sale too I think. And tofu etc. The Beyond burgers are in with the meat so you may not have seen them. They are also only in the larger tescos like Clearwater, Navan Road etc.

A good reason to support Plamil - it’s 55% organic sunflower oil.

as part of a health kick I decided to not eat any seed oils , I would have to look into are some potentially less dodgy than others. I'd be happy eating something that was olive oil based and not overly processed or containing hidden sugar.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Plamil are a 100% vegan company and thus could be seen as more trustworthy than mainstream competitors.

silverharp: how’re you getting on with your chosen diet? Any challenges/noticeable changes/benefits/disbenefits?

Plamil are a 100% vegan company and thus could be seen as more trustworthy than mainstream competitors.

silverharp: how’re you getting on with your chosen diet? Any challenges/noticeable changes/benefits/disbenefits?

it comes down to your view of which oils you consider to be in the "good camp" or not. I noticed it with humus, its traditionally made with olive oil but your standard Tesco stuff isn't, its either rapeseed oil or sunflower oil. In this space olive oil and coconut oil suit my needs without being too restrictive. What did it for me was hearing about how cotton seed oil , which was a lamp oil if I am not mistaken was looking for a home , was reprocessed and sold under the brand Crisco back in the early 20th century so for now I am sceptical of any seed oil.

I probably have the polar opposite to a vegan diet but I am loving it, carbs don't agree with me :pac: , keeping sugar based food out of my diet works in my case.

We have a few different oils but olive oil always comes out tops. Mixed with chilli and garlic, love it on bread, pasta, salad etc.

I’m also fan of walnut oil.

My recent experiment was cutting all soya out of the diet (so no Plamil mayo for me…) to find out if there were any effects and generally to see how difficult it is.

It defo. is difficult - shedloads of products contain it, including most chocolate, which seems particularly unnatural.

It does help to be a habitual reader of labels, be a good cook and have a decent vegan café who’ll list every ingredient. But if you’re a supmarket shopper/fast food addict, it would be nigh on impossible.

I don’t know if giving up soy has done me any good (though I’m not getting these colds everyone seems to have at the mom., not that I think that’s connected) but my iron levels dropped, unfortunately.

Tofu and soy bean products make a significant contribution to iron intake. I’ve had to put more effort into ensuring I get plenty of iron- and vitamin C-rich foods.

Was Rapeseed oil not marketed as healthy a few years back? All a marketing scam?

I normally use extra virgin olive oil and try to find organic when available. That's a safe option for stir frying/ drizzing etc?

thanks!

In general, no oil is healthy, no exceptions. However, we won't ever be saints and we all tend to use some amount of oil. There are some worse or better than you than others. Olive would be better for non-cooked food, on salads etc. For frying something with a high smoke point like avocado oil is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Picked up a jar in Aldi today, €1.99. A Euro cheaper than Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

silverharp wrote: »
    what I would find objectionable though its the same with standard mayo is that over 70% is rapeseed oil. these oils are highly processed and would be high on my list of suspect inflammatory modern "foods".

Nope - rapeseed oil is not highly processed, unless you count squishing & filtering as a lot of processing. In fact, the stuff is very highly regarded from a health perspective!

Lidl do a rather nice Irish cold-pressed rapeseed oil in their Deluxe range.

Edit: I realise from reading the other comments that folk here really don't know what rapeseed is. It's a brassica, i.e. a member of the mustard family and produces bright yellow flowers - you may see the bright yellow fields across the country from around April onwards. The flowers produce an excellent honey so they fields are popular with bees and beekeepers, although the honey crystallises very quickly. When the flowers drop off, the stalks are a dark brown and they're harvested, the seeds are removed and then pressed for the oil. There's nothing evil about all of this, although some of the comments above would seem to indicate that there is! The oil itself has a high smoke point so it's ideal for frying. The taste is quite strong, so I prefer olive on salads, although there are many who use rapeseed oil and enjoy it. Health wise, it's high in the usual omega stuff and low in saturated fats, making it a billion times healthier than the artery-clogging coconut oil.

• Advertisement

Pics of some of the new vegan stuff in Aldi:

EYPXnnK.jpg

GWtwJIDl.jpg

OvphvWyl.jpg

And for when it's sold out:

VliBKL3l.jpg

Nice parsnip! :)

That Hellmans vegan mayo is just unreal. I threw that kelkin muck out that I had in the fridge with 6 months.

Moo Free chocolate is really nice.The bannana one is the nearest you'll get to a vegan crunchie :)

What's the stuff in the orange bottle? Some sort of hot sauce? Must go into Aldi tomorrow for a look.

What's the stuff in the orange bottle? Some sort of hot sauce? Must go into Aldi tomorrow for a look.

Sriracha (chilli) mayo.

Lovely.

bedlam wrote: »
    Foods of Athenry do a nice rocky road bar that's vegan and GF available in a lot of centra's and other places

Those bars are very nice. More of a biscuit cake type bar but delicious with a mug of coffee :cool:

Those bars are very nice. More of a biscuit cake type bar but delicious with a mug of coffee :cool:

Get yourself a ‘Roisin’s’ orange chocolate bar while you’re in there. Up at checkout.

Had some of the Hellman's mayo, was excellent.

bpmurray wrote: »
    Nope - rapeseed oil is not highly processed, unless you count squishing & filtering as a lot of processing. In fact, the stuff is very highly regarded from a health perspective!

Lidl do a rather nice Irish cold-pressed rapeseed oil in their Deluxe range.

Edit: I realise from reading the other comments that folk here really don't know what rapeseed is. It's a brassica, i.e. a member of the mustard family and produces bright yellow flowers - you may see the bright yellow fields across the country from around April onwards. The flowers produce an excellent honey so they fields are popular with bees and beekeepers, although the honey crystallises very quickly. When the flowers drop off, the stalks are a dark brown and they're harvested, the seeds are removed and then pressed for the oil. There's nothing evil about all of this, although some of the comments above would seem to indicate that there is! The oil itself has a high smoke point so it's ideal for frying. The taste is quite strong, so I prefer olive on salads, although there are many who use rapeseed oil and enjoy it. Health wise, it's high in the usual omega stuff and low in saturated fats, making it a billion times healthier than the artery-clogging coconut oil.

its not cold pressed though right? chemicals are added as is steam and its stripped of a lot of nutrients? I just believe olive oil is more nutritionally balanced and less processed being from a fruit as opposed to something that was not part of the human diet. Its also one of those oils that have a high Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio, people would be better off with more Omega 3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

picked this up Sunday, loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

This mayonnaise is great!!!

Advertisement