Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coiled Type 2 charging cable

• 06-03-2021 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Look to buy a coiled charging cable instead of the straight one that came with the car and lies on the ground.

Anyone know of a good place to buy? Preferably in Ireland if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,185 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Check with Phil Fitzgerald at Electric Autos. Based in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭LeBash

I had a great one that I got in Germany. Was nice putting it in the car without getting my hands filthy

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

LeBash wrote: »
    I had a great one that I got in Germany. Was nice putting it in the car without getting my hands filthy

This yes, but the length is all consumed by the coil. I had a 8m coiled cable but had to sell it. It was quite stretched over 5 metres when home charging.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Evonestop.co.uk has a good rep, Amazon sell them too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭innrain

I have a 2.5m which I got from here https://www.4ev.co.uk/5-metre-32-amp-hyundai-kona-electric-charging-cable-coiled
    It is brilliant but it is an advantage of having the charging port in the front. A side port adds distance. Most chargers would be in the front of the parking space and the distance is minimal. It never sits on the ground, if wet you spring it few times and trow in the boot.
    https://photos.plugshare.com/photos/486687.jpg
    Ask Phil maybe he can source one for you if buying from UK is an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Keggers74

Look to buy a coiled charging cable instead of the straight one that came with the car and lies on the ground.

I have a BMW coiled one like this, which I’m very happy with. I bought it from BMW on Amazon.

BMW Genuine i3 Charging Cable For Charging Stations 1-Phase 5 Meters 61902455069 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079N4W3VF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_66135KYDAZJQJA1JR9NW

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Try test one first. I nearly bought one a year ago.
    It was a nuisance. The length is effected as it’s cooked so not really the full length is achieved.

I parked my MS nose to a charger and a 5m coiled cable wouldn’t reach the charge port. I had to to for fully pull it and then the stress on the cable freightened me.

I didn’t buy it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Keggers74 wrote: »
    I have a BMW coiled one like this, which I’m very happy with. I bought it from BMW on Amazon.

BMW Genuine i3 Charging Cable For Charging Stations 1-Phase 5 Meters 61902455069 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079N4W3VF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_66135KYDAZJQJA1JR9NW

That’s not coiled in the traditional sense. It’s a normal cable but the cable returns to its coiled form for storage. I had the same in my i3.

Maybe the OP can confirm but when I hear coiled I think of the proper coiled charging cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Gumbo wrote: »
    Try test one first. I nearly bought one a year ago.
    It was a nuisance. The length is effected as it’s cooked so not really the full length is achieved.

I parked my MS nose to a charger and a 5m coiled cable wouldn’t reach the charge port. I had to to for fully pull it and then the stress on the cable freightened me.

I didn’t buy it.

Cheers. The distance from my home charger to my car’s charge point is only about 12 inches so the coiled cable will be perfect.

Gumbo wrote: »
    That’s not coiled in the traditional sense. It’s a normal cable but the cable returns to its coiled form for storage. I had the same in my i3.

Maybe the OP can confirm but when I hear coiled I think of the proper coiled charging cables.

Yep looking for an actual coiled one like this:

0039606_3-phase-2-metre-32-amp-tesla-model-3-charging-cable-coiled.png

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Check with Phil Fitzgerald at Electric Autos. Based in Kildare.
    innrain wrote: »
    Ask Phil maybe he can source one for you if buying from UK is an issue.

Cheers. I emailed Phil last night so will see what he says.

Buying from UK not an issue really but I’d rather support someone in Ireland if I can.

Advertisement