Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunder Force

• 03-03-2021 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Looks watchable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

Barely watchable, McCarthy has talent but she hasn't been funny in a film in a long time. It just looks and films like another mid tier Netflix non entity. Hopefully I'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

McCarthy isn't choosy she just makes any crap that is put in front of her that I think that is the issue I see.

Still can't blame anyone for making money and i'm guessing she is making a lot of it churning out drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I have yet to see a good Netflix movie, i dont think this will change that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

McCarthy isn't choosy she just makes any crap that is put in front of her that I think that is the issue I see.

Still can't blame anyone for making money and i'm guessing she is making a lot of it churning out drivel.

Spy is good

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Spy is good

Spy is very good and this new film looks like popcorn fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I have yet to see a good Netflix movie, i dont think this will change that opinion.

Okja, Always be my Maybe, The Half of It, The Old Guard and Project Power are all pretty good.
    Space Sweepers is very good.
    Klaus is the best Netflix movie.

There is no reason that this movie, Thunder Force, can't be entertaining. Melissa McCarthy can be very funny and Octavia Spencer is usually great too. But it's very easy for this kind of movie (schlubb gets power by accident and schlubbs through figuring out how to best use it) to fall into really lazy jokes. It doesn't help that McCarthy isn't adverse to doing "heavy person falls down" comedy. I will be waiting for reviews before I commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

To be fair to McCarthy, I imagine she's not getting the variety of scripts that her peers are being offered for that very reason. Still, I'd like to see her do more stuff without the hubby. They don't have to work together on every feckin film!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

McCarthy is still obviously working on the material she wants; look to "Can you Ever Forgive Me?", an excellent dramatic turn from her that must have been a passion project, or one adjacent to it. Hopefully its quiet reception didn't put her off stepping into further, similar work.

The problem here is not McCarthy: it's American Mainstream Hollywood Comedy. It has hit rock bottom in terms of creativity and tone; I don't know why, but it feels like comedic writing has dropped into a chasm in Hollywood. McCarthy is an excellent comedic actor and a generally likeable persona on-screen when the material is right, but it almost never is 'cos Hollywood Comedy is ridden with hacks now. Good comedy writers gravitate towards TV now, they don't touch Hollywood with a 10 foot bargepole.

As to the trailer? It's SO WEIRD. Weird in the sense that it felt like a promotion for something made before the MCU came along - heck, before the Bryan Singer X-Men movies got made. Again, to loop back to the issue of Hollywood writing, it's like the writer just went "superheroes are crazy, amirite?" and called it a day. Comes off achingly anachronistic.

Imagine if the makers of The Tick or Venture Bros. got to make a movie riffing on superheroes? Would never happen in a lifetime, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Spy is good

Spy is great and she bounces of Statham brilliantly.

She has made about 20 movies in the last 10 years her hit rate is terrible for some who genuinely has great comedy timing and can act when it comes to her picking comedies she makes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Agreed on Spy. A really funny riff on the genre.

Helped a lot by The Stath taking the mick out of himself and the R rated language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I gather its a complete donkey of a film

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

silverharp wrote: »
    I gather its a complete donkey of a film

Was a bit naff - coupla funny moments but it was mainly just McCarthy being McCarthy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

We enjoyed it. It filled a couple of hours on a Sunday evening

Advertisement