Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coming 2 America: this Friday March 5th on Amazon

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I watched it tonight, it wasn't great. It's a movie you'd watch once and never re-watch or think much about again.

I thought the Calvin Duke scene was funny. He is exactly how you'd imagine one of the Dukes would be in the 2020s.

I thought Wesley Snipes was pretty funny in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I watched the original the night before watching the sequel, having not seen the original in a long time. I'm glad I did because I needed to refresh my memory of certain characters and gags. I must say though, even by doing that, the sequel falls quite flat.

There's a structure to the original that is easy to follow, with a straightforward, unlikeable antagonist (although his storyline rather fizzles out honestly). But in this film, the story never seems to have a logical direction and Snipes never comes across as a threat.

The sequel also takes a lot of the warmth out of the original. For example, in the original, Akeem says he wants a wife that is not just going to be compliant, but one who speaks her own mind. That's why he falls for Lisa. Yet in this film, he repeatedly cuts her out of his plans, and takes offence when she questions his ideas. Their relationship doesn't seem loving or happy. Lisa, in the original movie, doesn't want to be a trophy wife for Darryl, doesn't want to be taken care of but to have her own life, yet in this movie that's exactly what she has become.

I'd watch the original again if I noticed it on telly, but this one I'm unlikely to want to revisit.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

It's amazing his fall. The same as other people I thought he was brilliant in his 80s movies but man has he done anything good in 25 years? The nutty professor, Norbit? Terrible.

I watched Dolomite which was decent in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

I hear Eddie M has idea's for a third movie, that's all we need

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

have we not suffered enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

dubstepper wrote: »
    has he done anything good in 25 years?

Bowfinger is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Apart from the scenes with the barbers You could almost pass this as a Hallmark film.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Apart from the scenes with the barbers You could almost pass this as a Hallmark film.

Now that's an insult!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dubstepper wrote: »
    Now that's an insult!

Yeah, Hallmark are not that bad!

I heard a review on Nova, gave it top score 5/5.

In the past the review has ripped apart films and often gives low scores so I was listening thinking he would tear it apart.

This was their proper reviewer, not a throwaway comment from a random presenter.

https://www.nova.ie/review-coming-2-america-197042/

The only decent bit of the movie was when he went to America.
    Now granted I couldn't make it to the end.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Coming 2 America – 5/10

Not that bad, but not great. Despite being somewhat of a cult classic, I don’t think the original is a work of genius that should never be touched. I wonder if a lot of the negative reviews come from people who place the original on a pedestal and worship it as sacrosanct comedy classic?

The bad: It is a weak script, with recycled jokes and it strikes me as very lazy to drop scenes from the first film in there. The writing for Leslie Jones is painfully unfunny. I feel sorry for her as I think she is a likeable and funny lady, but it seems that script writers look at her and think;
    “Big loud black lady! Write her typical big loud black lady lines!” Mmmmmmm Hmmmmmm!

The good: Much like Dolemite, Murphy is putting the effort in. He still has great chemistry with Arsenio Hall. Wesley Snipes is in scene stealing form and continues his flamboyant comedy schtick that we saw in Dolemite. But the most impressive thing is the costume design. If this does not get an Oscar nod, I’ll be stunned.

I know a few people have commented on how they felt the appearances from antiquated musical artists seemed a bit forced and out of place, but I though that was a decent attempt at trying to recapture some of that John Landis madcap 80’s spontaneity that featured so heavily in Coming To America and Blue Brothers.

I was a little disappointed in the lack of screen time for the Barbershop scenes. It made me think that all those hours in make-up trying to recreate Rick Baker’s amazing work were a bit pointless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

5/10 is about 4 too many.

Coming 2 America is absolute turgid bile. It should never have been made. It is an abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The ad for the film came up yesterday, I didn’t lift my head. The accompanying tune and dialog was enough to gather I will never watch this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I loved the first one but tbh this looks crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Absolutely not true. He's still one of the funniest men on earth.

His episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Jerry Seinfield was hilarious. And he was barely trying

Apart from a couple of exceptions like Bowfinger and Dolemite Is My Name, its the Films he's chosen for two decades or more now that are the utter dregs

But Murphy himself is still funny

I love Eddie and after reading a book about early SNL called 'Wild and Crazy Guys', I watched/rewatched all his 80s movies. Even The Golden Child had a few great moments.

However, I was a bit sceptical when I first heard about his supposed comeback a few years ago and that particular episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee was ...off. Just very, very low energy. Or watch his 'monologue' at the SNL reunion a few years back - Chris Rock has the most amazing intro and Eddie walks out, tells no jokes and is done in about 2 mins. I get it, he's a lot older, but the spark is gone. It's nowhere to be seen in this pointless 'victory lap' sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

However, I was a bit sceptical when I first heard about his supposed comeback a few years ago and that particular episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee was ...off. Just very, very low energy

Have to disagree there. I thought he was hilarious on it and I was genuinely laughing out loud. For me, the old Eddie was back on it

But I suppose Comedy is very subjective

silverharp wrote: »
    48 hrs, trading places, absolutely must see films at the time, Coming to America was more his cash grab phase.
    If this film had been in the cinema it would be a massive bomb

Disagree. Coming to America was his concept (based on the 'bare-necked b*tch' stand-up routine a few years previously). The other movies you mention weren't written for him - even Beverly Hills Cop was originally offered to Stallone.

His cash-grabs were usually defensive in nature - Beverly Hills Cop 2 was a cash-grab because The Golden Child flopped. Another 48 Hours was a cash-grab because Harlem Nights (his concept, he wrote and directed) flopped.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Have to disagree there. I thought he was hilarious on it and I was genuinely laughing out loud. For me, the old Eddie was back on it

But I suppose Comedy is very subjective

It is, but even the 'old Eddie' wasn't always there in the 80s. That electricity he had in 48 Hours and Beverly Hills Cop is only in a few movies. This for me is the closest to the old Eddie in recent years:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭beardo81

I enjoyed it! Felt it was a decent sequel to the original, bringing back all the cast and introducing loads more characters.

There was a nice energy to the movie and everyone looked like they were having fun with the whole thing (especially Snipes), the running time zipped along quite nicely.

I'm not sure what people were expecting, this was never meant to be a 'serious' movie, it won't be on any Oscar shortlists (apart from maybe the costumes as a poster mentioned earlier- they were a stand out)

A good natured, humorous sequel for me, but each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Curiosity got the better of me and I watched it at the weekend.

It's ok. Not as bad as some here are making out but not great either.

A few jokes land and it was good to see the old cast and that's about it.

It's inoffensive and a predictable copy of the original , which was not that great either.

Easy watching, passes time and easily forgotten.

• Advertisement
Advertisement