Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on first EV purchase - Leaf or Ioniq or ?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Well don't pay 20k for sure.
    We've seen Ioniqs below 16k on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

What's good price for a 191 Ioniq?

We sold an as new, year old, 2019 metallic black Ioniq last year for less than that. Substantially less that that!
    Try to offload your existing car privately & buy an Ioniq privately, or from an independent EV dealer, like Phil in Electric Autos in Naas.

IIRC he has sold Ioniqs from as little as €14k & indeed, sold ours.

Many owners got those 2019 Ioniqs for €26k odd, brand new in 2019, with scrappage discount. €24k is far too high a price IMO now, 2 years on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Post Brexit and UK imports dead in the water the price of all cars would have gone up I thought

slave1 wrote: »
    Post Brexit and UK imports dead in the water the price of all cars would have gone up I thought

That's true, but there are also far more models available now, albeit at a higher cost. They are both new & invariably have bigger batteries.
    The ID.3, Peugeot, new Zoe etc., all have significantly bigger batteries & even he old Leaf 40 (brand new) is available for somewhere in the mid €20s.

I even think the new Ioniq 38 is/was available for €28k with scrappage :eek:.

There or thereabouts anyway.

IMO there's no value in an older (launched in 2016) Ioniq now, above €20k for a 2019.
    €15 to €20k for a 2017 to 2019 is their max value, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Out of interest, does a UK warranty on an Ioniq transfer over here?

• Advertisement

Yes
    slave1 wrote: »
    I agree

Kramer wrote: »
    Try to offload your existing car privately & buy an Ioniq privately, or from an independent EV dealer, like Phil in Electric Autos in Naas.

Not going to sell privately, for a few reasons. Not wanting to deal with timewasters, not wanting to have to deal with the finances of a private transaction, Covid restrictions . . .

Ultimately, I know that means we will not get the best possible deal, and I'm ok with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

yes, mine's a UK import through electricautos - have had it into Hyundai garage for a service since and warranty all fine.

So I've taken the general advice here onboard and decided against the 0% 211 Leaf offer.

I've also decided if I go with a Leaf I'm going to stick with the SVE spec (for the electronic parking brake and ProPilot mainly)

So my baseline for a Leaf is a 2018 SVE. These seem to hover around the €23k-€25k range on the usual sites. ElectricAutos will have one for €23k according to their Facebook and I know they are highly thought of around here.

Against that, a 2019 Ioniq for a little over €23k looks decent to me. The Ioniq standard spec is fairly equivalent to the Leaf SVE (SVE has leather seats, 360 camera and a couple of other toys the Ioniq doesn't, but mostly, they are comparable. Ioniq meanwhile has 2 years extra warranty).

So, in short, I'm still pondering:
    - 171 Ioniq @ €18,950
    - Various 18 Leaf SVE's @ €23k-€24k
    - 191 Ioniq @ €23,450

I understand people saying over €20k is not value for these cars, but there doesn't look to be a whole lot of any "value" out there at the moment (With dealers that is - I fully understand that if I sell privately and buy privately, I'll pay less).

Is this simply Brexit at work? Is it the case that a UK Leaf which would have cost €19k in November, is now €23k due to import vat/duties?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

So I've taken the general advice here onboard and decided against the 0% 211 Leaf offer.

I've also decided if I go with a Leaf I'm going to stick with the SVE spec (for the electronic parking brake and ProPilot mainly)

So my baseline for a Leaf is a 2018 SVE. These seem to hover around the €23k-€25k range on the usual sites. ElectricAutos will have one for €23k according to their Facebook and I know they are highly thought of around here.

Against that, a 2019 Ioniq for a little over €23k looks decent to me. The Ioniq standard spec is fairly equivalent to the Leaf SVE (SVE has leather seats, 360 camera and a couple of other toys the Ioniq doesn't, but mostly, they are comparable. Ioniq meanwhile has 2 years extra warranty).

So, in short, I'm still pondering:
    - 171 Ioniq @ €18,950
    - Various 18 Leaf SVE's @ €23k-€24k
    - 191 Ioniq @ €23,450

I understand people saying over €20k is not value for these cars, but there doesn't look to be a whole lot of any "value" out there at the moment (With dealers that is - I fully understand that if I sell privately and buy privately, I'll pay less).

Is this simply Brexit at work? Is it the case that a UK Leaf which would have cost €19k in November, is now €23k due to import vat/duties?

Have you had a chance to drive/ be in either of them yet?

• Advertisement

peposhi wrote: »
    Have you had a chance to drive/ be in either of them yet?

Nope

ElectricAutos facebook have said another Ioniq28 coming in next week.

I bought my Ioniq unseen, videos sent to whatsapp by Phil and a good recommendation and vouch for them from a friend too made me feel comfortable. Car delivered to me and a co-piloted test drive (I'd already paid so maybe not a test!) and a "how to" (which ultimately was 100% necessary in retrospect!)

Had never been in one before to be honest. Just needed a new car with baby en route and wanted electric so had similar limited options to yourself. No regrets yet!

I think the supply issues are definitely Brexit related, Phil had mentioned to me that he picks up lots of the cars that have just finished their original 3 year leases, and would have been hoping to have quite a few more Ioniqs available but Brexit made it unviable to simply get "any available" and instead had a fair bit more work to find the needles in the haystack (pricewise).

Any concern re:2019 Ioniq and battery woes?

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

emmet02 wrote: »

Any concern re:2019 Ioniq and battery woes?

Only the 12v

Thanks for all the help and advice

Took delivery of a 181 Hyundai Ioniq today! Loving it so far

Good stuff and the best decision.
    I loved my Ioniq28.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

How much? I have been looking at them too..

Well wear :).

Some tips & tricks in previous Ioniq threads - should only take a few weeks to get through them :D.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057563461
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058155506

Truckermal wrote: »
    How much? I have been looking at them too..

22k. Probably overpaid but decision really came down to the trade in value I was getting and my cost to change.

In the end I considered a few options:

- an 18 40kwh Leaf Tekna from Electric Autos. Cost to change 9k
    - a 17 Ioniq from Electric Autos. Cost to change 6k
    - a 19 ioniq from a Dublin dealer. Cost to change 10k
    - the 18 ioniq I eventually went for. Cost to change 7k. It has leather seats as well which was a plus (but is an Irish car)

I could have probably waited and got a better deal. But I was impatient
    I could have bought and sold privately, but didn’t want the hassle.

Be grand, they're only euros. Just hope you get plenty of use out of it. Lockdown has meant we're sub 500km since November delivery!

Advertisement