Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mavic 2 Pro and EASA Rules

• 22-02-2021 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I was considering the following three drones to be used here in Ireland, and within the UK and EU at some point in the future when travel is allowed.
    1) Mavic 2 Pro
    2) Mavic 2 Zoom, and
    3) Mavic Air 2
    While the M2Pro is my first choice in terms of the image and video quality (larger sensor), and adjustable aperture (no need to mess about with ND filters), the other two definitely have advantages too. The Zoom obviously can zoom, and apparently has a feature to stitch up to 9 images together for a super wide panorama. The Air 2 has the latest software, and performs better for eg slow-motion.

While the Zoom and Air obviously have the advantage of the cheaper price, I was still drawn to the M2Pro because of the quality. I wondered if DJI had announced anything in the pipelines that might upgrade any of the list, so asked on the forums, and they just told me to keep an eye on their social media.

However one comment caught my eye. The commenter mentioned that as I'll be flying in the EU, to check the EASA rules, as: "the top drones are not classified, and will end up in the legacy categories after the transition. The Mini 2 without classification currently falls into a loophole, which will give me the best flexibility where I can legally fly."

Has anyone any knowledge of these rules that can explain them to me please? And is this commenter correct that I wouldn't be legally able to fly the M2Pro, Air 2, or M2Zoom, and that I will only be able to legally fly the Mini 2?

If it's not the case, and I will be able to fly the larger drones here, and in the EU, does anyone own any of the 3 listed, and can give advice on which one is the best buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

iaa rules for Drones video

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

if it is over 250g or has a camera the operator must be registered

Mavic 2 Pro: 907 g
    Mavic 2 Zoom: 905g

which means they are in class c2 in the open category

they should be fine if you are flying professionally you need insurance.

you can register yourself as an operator on the iia website

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Alpha&Omega

sheesh wrote: »
    if it is over 250g or has a camera the operator must be registered

Mavic 2 Pro: 907 g
    Mavic 2 Zoom: 905g

which means they are in class c2 in the open category

they should be fine if you are flying professionally you need insurance.

you can register yourself as an operator on the iia website

Great, thanks for all the help and advice sheesh. It's much appreciated. I'm a professional photographer, but thanks to the Covid crisis, I've have been looking for ways to expand my business, and attract more clients. So video utilising drones would be an advantage, especially for categories like architecture or real estate.

I was moments away from buying the Mavic 2 Pro when I saw that post I mentioned on the dji forum which said all larger models (Air 2, 2 Pro, Zoom 2) would in the UK anyway now be classified as legacy models since 31 Dec 2020, and would be severely restricted to where they could be used, if at all. Apparently only the Mini 2 weighing far less (at <250g iirc) fits into a loophole that would be any way useful for shooting footage. But for all its good reviews in terms of hobbyists using it, I don't see the mini 2 as having the picture or video quality needed for commercial usage.

Good to know that I can go ahead with the choice of Mavic 2 Pro, and get myself registered, trained and insured, and I will be good to go!

Advertisement