Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hair clippers and advice!

Options
  • 07-02-2021 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭

I'm considering on purchasing a hair clippers and having a go at cutting my own hair.
    Any recommendations on a clippers?

Also how does buzzing your own hair work out?
    Any tips?

Just to note. My hair goes very curly and looks brutal.
    I generally go to the barber and just get a number 2 or 1 on top and 0 on the side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Biggest problem is back of the head blending in with the neck, simple enough to do the front yourself. If going 0 or 1 it should be grand though.

Philips from Argos are good, pricing on this is a little tasty, they regularly go for €40 or less when on special...
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4441586/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHealth+and+personal+care%7C14418350/c_2/3%7C19805475%7CMen%27s+Grooming%7C14418417/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418417%7CHair+clippers%7C14418426.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'd go for a Wahl clippers. IMO one of the best brands for clippers. Get a cordless one too. Corded is fine most of the time but like everything, cordless just makes life easier. You say you get a zero too but be mindful that can be anything from 0.8 down to 0.3mm depending on the clippers and in all honesty you notice the difference afterwards. Don't bother trying to blend if DIYing -just shave the whole lot the same and get someone to check it afterwards because you will miss a spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thanks, if you miss a spot is it easy to fix it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

I'm considering on purchasing a hair clippers and having a go at cutting my own hair.
    Any recommendations on a clippers?

Also how does buzzing your own hair work out?
    Any tips?

Just to note. My hair goes very curly and looks brutal.
    I generally go to the barber and just get a number 2 or 1 on top and 0 on the side.

That's a very easy, basic haircut to do at home. Wahl make great clippers and they come with a set of guards sized in eights of an inch from 1 to 8 - number 1 is 1/8 of an inch and so on. Try and get a cordless one if you can and invest in a shower strainer to avoid the drain getting clogged when you wash your hair afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I got this one and it works really well. Not too expensive either.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B086DNMMSW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

As Atlantic Dawn said, the only tricky part is getting the back of the head to blend with the neck. The rest is a doddle.

• Advertisement

Thanks, if you miss a spot is it easy to fix it?

Yep. Just shave it again! Or get your checker to tidy it for you. Using the camera on your phone can be a handy second mirror to check yourself too

Thanks for the advice.

Final question.(I think)

Would I be better off just doing one number all over instead of trying to blend the top and sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

This would get my vote https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MJFRF1N/ but currently unavailable. When I bought it a couple of years ago it was about 25 quid, still going well.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Thanks for the advice.

Final question.(I think)

Would I be better off just doing one number all over instead of trying to blend the top and sides?

I'd just do the same all over to he honest. Least chance of error!

Took a chance on a Wahl cordless clippers.
    It wasn't overly expensive but reviews were good enough.

• Advertisement

It arrived this morning and I gave it ago and I'm delighted with it. Very simple process.

Is the back of your head ok? :)

Is the back of your head ok? :)

Ya, it was around my ears that gave me the most difficulty!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Ruggabugga101

It arrived this morning and I gave it ago and I'm delighted with it. Very simple process.

Have the same pair - I'm a 1 all over guy so its easy but am very happy with them. May never use a barber again, even after lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I have the cordless Wahl one with the colour coded guards #1 to #8, I use most of them when giving myself a trim.

I'm around Norwood 2.5 - 3 with a dense forelock and I thought that I needed a barber and a scissors on top for it to look decent. Was wrong. In fact I'm more pleased with the work I'm doing myself than I have been with most of the haircuts I got in the last 20 years.

For anyone who is more bald than I, just buzz your hair with different guards until you find one you like. Ditto for those with no hair loss.

Barbers = finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Tried it in one of the lockdowns and made a total bjollox of it - ended up shaving it all off.

I look like Lionel Ritchie in the 70's but I'll wait until the barbers open

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

I gave up on barbers about 13 years ago. Got a Wahls corded (could possibly even be a pet one) for a tenner. I take the face and head down to 0. Repeat every month or so. Could not be arsed....

I use mine to trim my stubble now. Couldn't be arsed shaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭karlitob

Hi all

Hope you don’t mind me jumping on here.

Really considering buying a clippers.

I’ve fairly thick hair with quick growth but it’s a mess fairly quickly.

I usually get a 3 blade back and sides, and a scissors cut on top - about 1.5 inches.

I think I saw a blade comb that could cut that thick. Is it hard would you think to blend by yourself?

Has anyone tried it with longer hair? Everyone seems to go quite tight.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have a wahl one, it was pretty cheap (€20) and got it before covid just for general body hair but it has come in very handy with everything that happened.

The reason I would recommend a wahl one is that the clips are easily replaceable and they seem to have standard sized clips for all clippers that can be bought online.

When lockdown first started I did a blade 6 on top and 3 at the back and sides, with a little blending with the 4/5. 6 is actually long enough for the top, longer than most people would think but I eventually bought a blade 7 and 8 online. The 7 is absolutely perfect with the length I like to keep.

I have been doing my hair for a year now and have become quite decent. Just note that the lower the blade you go the more you will notice the mistakes, and you'll make little mistakes obviously. But you can correct it with the longer the hair length.

For the very back, I wouldn't recommend going for a zero blade, unless you have help. I just use my shaving razor.

I have always found around the ears a tricky part but found an ingenious method recently. A nose hair trimmers. It keeps a brilliant line and is forgiving if your hand slips or anything :pac:

I do my hair now once a week and will probably revisit the barber every once in a while for a tidy but I will be able to maintain it with small trims myself from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

Go for it, you won't look back, you will be kicking yourself for wasting all that money in the barbers, once a week get the other have to do it, 5min job, clippers has paid for its self 10time over at this stage, just go and try it.

Joe4321 wrote: »
    Go for it, you won't look back, you will be kicking yourself for wasting all that money in the barbers, once a week get the other have to do it, 5min job, clippers has paid for its self 10time over at this stage, just go and try it.

Yeah I think you’re right. I’m no oil painting so don’t know why I’m worried about a gammy haircut. Have had loads of them before and I paid for them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

When blending, cut all the long bit first and then switch to the shorter blades.
    It's then just a matter of lifting the trimmer away from your head to blend it.
    If you cut the short stuff first you are goosed trying to blend it!

I have a wahl one, it was pretty cheap (€20) and got it before covid just for general body hair but it has come in very handy with everything that happened.

The reason I would recommend a wahl one is that the clips are easily replaceable and they seem to have standard sized clips for all clippers that can be bought online.

When lockdown first started I did a blade 6 on top and 3 at the back and sides, with a little blending with the 4/5. 6 is actually long enough for the top, longer than most people would think but I eventually bought a blade 7 and 8 online. The 7 is absolutely perfect with the length I like to keep.

I have been doing my hair for a year now and have become quite decent. Just note that the lower the blade you go the more you will notice the mistakes, and you'll make little mistakes obviously. But you can correct it with the longer the hair length.

For the very back, I wouldn't recommend going for a zero blade, unless you have help. I just use my shaving razor.

I have always found around the ears a tricky part but found an ingenious method recently. A nose hair trimmers. It keeps a brilliant line and is forgiving if your hand slips or anything :pac:

I do my hair now once a week and will probably revisit the barber every once in a while for a tidy but I will be able to maintain it with small trims myself from now on.

Appreciate that advice. Thank you.

6 7 or 8 would be very tight for me I think. So will look at getting the longer blade. But your advice on how to blend etx are welcome. Thank you.

If you could, would you post a pic of the length of your hair (a seven I think you said). Odd request I know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

Plenty of YouTube videos on how to cut and blend your hair, take a look and you will see how easy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

karlitob wrote: »
    Appreciate that advice. Thank you.

6 7 or 8 would be very tight for me I think. So will look at getting the longer blade. But your advice on how to blend etx are welcome. Thank you.

If you could, would you post a pic of the length of your hair (a seven I think you said). Odd request I know.

I have let the top grow a little and am shaving the sides, I'm just trying something new. An 8 is 1 inch of hair.

This is a guide up to blade 6
    https://www.menshairstylestoday.com/haircut-numbers/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I have a Wahl Baldfader, got it in Argos (pre lockdown, currently their stocks of a lot of items seem to be very low though). It is not cordless but has a good long cord. I prefer corded as you don't need to recharge. You can go even tighter than 0.3mm but you need to follow the instructions closely to avoid nicks.

Thanks all for advice.

Last query - any guidance on which one you would go for. It’s pretty overwhelming to be honest and I’ve just picked one shop.

I’ve very thick hair, lots of it so I reckon I’d need something powerful. Going for as much on top as I can get and 3 blade back and sides.

Thank you.

https://www.boots.ie/sitesearch?searchTerm=wahl

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I bought a Wahl about 20 years ago. It still does the job today. I am wondering will barbers ever get all of their business back? I know I won't be going as often and will be cutting my little fellas hair myself too. I reckon it will be a saving of around €250 per year on barbers.

• Advertisement

I’m happy with my clippers.
    It looks good in my opinion.
    It’s cordless but I do find it more powerful when it’s plugged it.

Advertisement