Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iaa registered

• 22-01-2021 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

have any of you registered with the IAA ?

I did that during the week and completed the test today for my mavic mini.

how are you putting your number on the drone? permanent marker?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

sheesh wrote: »

They sent me a sticker with the EI- number on it. I stuck it on the belly of the drone

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hypor

I just wrote mine in careful writing and selotaped it on top of it till I get my sticker. Careful flying brought mine out today and like an idiot flew over rivers, wind blew it into a tree and splush.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

sumo12 wrote: »
    They sent me a sticker with the EI- number on it. I stuck it on the belly of the drone

How long did it take for the sticker to come out after you completed the testing.

What is the test?

I registered before but there was no test? They just took my details and sent out a sticker.

What is the test?

I registered before but there was no test? They just took my details and sent out a sticker.

40 basic multiple choice questions.

• Advertisement

40 basic multiple choice questions.

Have you got a link? When did this come in?

I presume if you pass it means YOU'RE licensed to fly the drone (or drones in general?), rather than the drone itself is registered?

I presume if you pass it means YOU'RE licensed to fly the drone (or drones in general?), rather than the drone itself is registered?

I've no idea, would assume the test is a relatively recent thing. If you are already registered I would imaging you don't need to go back on do the test.

https://iaa.mysrs.ie/auth/sign-up

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

How long did it take for the sticker to come out after you completed the testing.

I was waiting 2-3 months for the sticker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Its a bit of a pain doing the signup. Don't have a printer handy and need to print something off and sign it and scan it back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

etxp wrote: »
    Its a bit of a pain doing the signup. Don't have a printer handy and need to print something off and sign it and scan it back in.

Just use a digital signature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Curious, how is one "caught" flying a drone that isn't registered? Is there an identifier broadcast from the drone that can be detected, or is it literally on the off-chance you are flying a drone and an IAA inspector comes up to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

came in at the start of the year afaik. the drone is not registered the operator is there are different grades based on weight. Anyone operating a drone with a sensor that is not described as a toy by the manufacturer must be registered is my understanding. which is a change.

I am very new to this so have a look yourself

this is the video that they show to teach you about the rules

the 40 question multiple choice are based on this video

If you get any wrong they give you an opportunity to go back and change the answers at the end.

etxp wrote: »

my printer didn't have black ink so I scanned my signature and the date and screen grabbed the form and pasted it in in photoshop put this image into open office and exported it as a pdf

Oh yeah they only take pdfs

they want all your info scan of your driving licence/ passport address eircode it is a state run so.

I am going to be using it for a couple of tourism projects so i figured i had better be as compliant as possible

the operator registration for the open category is €5

insurance is encouraged for the open category and required for the other category (I forget the name of it)

mrcheez wrote: »
    Curious, how is one "caught" flying a drone that isn't registered? Is there an identifier broadcast from the drone that can be detected, or is it literally on the off-chance you are flying a drone and an IAA inspector comes up to you?

thats a good point !

I know for dji drones you have to unlock the drone so they have you that way. but if your drone is home made or older you're probably fine.

Just don't run it into a police helicopter :D

thats a good point !

I know for dji drones you have to unlock the drone so they have you that way. but if your drone is home made or older you're probably fine.

Just don't run it into a police helicopter :D

I got my Mavic Air 2 in December and played around with it a bit but waiting for the weather to get better, but it's "unlocked"... are you saying that drones purchased after 1st Jan don't activate until you have an iaa license?

I plan to get a license btw, but just curious what happens if I didn't.

For example if you go through a red light and a garda sees you, you get penalised. Is it the same with drones and a garda may approach?

I got my Mavic Air 2 in December and played around with it a bit but waiting for the weather to get better, but it's "unlocked"... are you saying that drones purchased after 1st Jan don't activate until you have an iaa license?

For example if you go through a red light and a garda sees you, you get penalised. Is it the same with drones and a garda may approach?

I bought mine in January so I'm at about the same stage as you.

Unlocking is done by the manufacturer via the app. you stick your phone in the controller and connect the drone via wifi your phone is connected to the internet the app gets the unlock code and your done is ready to fly the iaa are not involved in the process.
    But i imagine that dji have enough info to track down the seller of your drone so if you bought it off amazon they would have your address so if something bad happens your drone could point back to you.

I think the only reason a guard would get involved is if someone complained about noise or over flights. And they usually do not come out for stuff like that.

Basically I do not know the legal consequences for not getting a licence.

I imagine the operator licence is needed to get insurance, to get professional work or if you wanted to get access to restricted airspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Passed the test there. Signed up and registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

my printer didn't have black ink so I scanned my signature and the date and screen grabbed the form and pasted it in in photoshop put this image into open office and exported it as a pdf

Oh yeah they only take pdfs

they want all your info scan of your driving licence/ passport address eircode it is a state run so.

I am going to be using it for a couple of tourism projects so i figured i had better be as compliant as possible

the operator registration for the open category is €5

insurance is encouraged for the open category and required for the other category (I forget the name of it)

Did the Open A1 & A3 registration last week

Can bring your scanned signature into most PDf software and just drop it onto the document. Useful in future for signing any PDF docs.

Was surprised when looking at some of the EASA webinars that this open class actually allows for some commercial work (your tourism projects), providing you stay inside the parameters and insured etc. where previously would have required a commercial license. A definite step forward.

Just seen at least one of the IAA approved training outfits is charging €19 to enroll for a course that is free to access. Assume you then have to pay the €5 to the IAA for registration anyway. Rip off Republic alive and well.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

From looking at the EASA webpage, my take it that there is a two year implementation period from 1st January this year.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

323 wrote: »
    From looking at the EASA webpage, my take it that there is a two year implementation period from 1st January this year.

So it's two years before the license is a requirement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭listermint

323 wrote: »
    Did the Open A1 & A3 registration last week

Can bring your scanned signature into most PDf software and just drop it onto the document. Useful in future for signing any PDF docs.

Was surprised when looking at some of the EASA webinars that this open class actually allows for some commercial work (your tourism projects), providing you stay inside the parameters and insured etc. where previously would have required a commercial license. A definite step forward.

Just seen at least one of the IAA approved training outfits is charging €19 to enroll for a course that is free to access. Assume you then have to pay the €5 to the IAA for registration anyway. Rip off Republic alive and well.

Was 5 euro. Going to from today/tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Rosahane

listermint wrote: »
    Was 5 euro. Going to from today/tomorrow

Thanks for the reminder.

Registered , did the training and the exam this morning. Had to repeat the exam twice, failing the same Airspace restriction question before I spotted that you can go back into the category, see which question was wrong and click and amend it.

The question I failed is badly phrased and possible incorrect.

Its: "Which UAS class is permitted to be used in the Open 3 category.?" The correct answer according to the legislation is C3 & C4 and I thought C2 can also be used. However the answer options are C0, C1, C2, and Any UAS.

"Any UAS" is the answer it expects.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Completed the A2 course and exam with AVTrain a few weeks ago and highly recommend it. Course (zoom) is free and is very beneficial I thought, even if you don’t plan on getting the cert. €150 then to do the exam.
    https://avtrain.aero/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Heres probably a stupid question but its one that has me confused.

Category a1 covers urban areas and has allows flying over uninvolved people.

Is the maximum distance still 120m or is it 30m from buildings?

If it has a camera what difference does that make?

Maybe Im reading it wrong but am I correct in saying a drone with less than 250g take off weight can fly almost anywhere? But over that weight you have to be over 120m from buildings and people?

Im just a bit confused about the regulations.

I suppose the question is really what are differences between a1 and a3 categories?

https://www.easa.europa.eu/faq/116452

Hellrazer wrote: »

I suppose the question is really what are differences between a1 and a3 categories?

https://www.easa.europa.eu/faq/116452

drones-requirements-categories.JPGdifference between a1 and a2 seems to be weight A1 max is 900g, A3 max weight is 45 kg.

I imagine the camera could cause privacy concerns.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

difference between a1 and a2 seems to be weight A1 max is 900g, A3 max weight is 45 kg.

I imagine the camera could cause privacy concerns.

Regardless of the camera its still under 900g.

Its still quite vague regarding horizontal distances from buildings etc.

A drone under 900g can still fly in A1 which is allowed inside urban areas and a1 is 30m from buildings??

A3 is 150m away from buildings.

Am I missing something? Or just reading the rules wrong?

Only reason Im trying to get clarification because I may just sell my Zino pro (710g)and buy a sub 250g Mavic Mini or Mini 2 - at least then I could fly it close to where I live (assuming its only 30m from buildings)

Its quite hard to find somewhere 150m from anything to fly.

I have just recently got a drone so I am coming at this as a newbie which is fine as the rules are new too.

I think you have a legacy drone under 900g in an urban area

So you are A1

On the IAA site they make it clearer that these are delineations

the categories are actually tied to whether you are in an urban setting or outside an urban setting
    the A3 category covers flying outside an urban area.
    Subcategory A2 addresses operations during which flying close to people is intended for a significant portion of the flight. The minimum distance ranges from 30 m (for C2 class) to 5 m from uninvolved people or keeping at least 50 meters for legacy products similar to C2 class. 5 m is only allowed when there is an active low-speed mode function on the device, and the remote pilot has conducted an evaluation of the situation regarding the weather, the performance of the unmanned aircraft, drone or model aircraft and the segregation of the overflown area. Learn more about classes and legacy products in section "Unmanned Aircraft Product Class".

from https://iaa.mysrs.ie/drones

I think inside an Urban area you would be flying under category A1
    a1-open-small.jpg

but you are right distance from buildings does not seem to be well defined in the official literature

(jesus, its obvious I have loads of time on my hands! :D )

Advertisement