Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When's calving starting 2021

• 21-01-2021 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭

Started at 4.30am an fr 4513 bull.

MOD: I've started off a new thread, for a new year, keeping the OP of the original, just seemed right.

Old thread here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

whelan2 wrote: »
    Started at 4.30am an fr 4513 bull.

Lovely -

you'll have to start a new thread and lead the way into 2021

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

TTT.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭French Toast

One of our few Salers likely to calf this week, off the slatts and on to straw tonight. Lost her calf last year so hoping for better this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Cow due the end of December still holding on here :o
    Heard roaring from the shed at 6am (I sleep with the window open) so went down to see what was up. Bull having a field day roaring at a heifer in the pen opposite him. Ass :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Due to start Valentine’s Day here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

12/21 calved here. So far so good. 🀞🀞🀞🀞🀞🀞🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

greysides wrote: »
    TTT.

Sorry was too busy watching liverpool being bet at home for the first time in 4 years :eek:

Cow due the end of December still holding on here :o
    Heard roaring from the shed at 6am (I sleep with the window open) so went down to see what was up. Bull having a field day roaring at a heifer in the pen opposite him. Ass :pac:

Is it not freezing with the window open. Another calf here last night. Nothing happening at 2am, fr heifer calf up and sucking at 5.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

One of our few Salers likely to calf this week, off the slatts and on to straw tonight. Lost her calf last year so hoping for better this time round.

My first for 21 like ur story ,bought some incalf heiffers last year , one for some reason never opened up , side door and lost calf , she calved herself two nights ago with a lovely bull

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Is it not freezing with the window open. Another calf here last night. Nothing happening at 2am, fr heifer calf up and sucking at 5.30am

Prefer a cold room & a couple of duvets instead of a stuffy room. Also means lazy arse here doesn't have to get up to let the cats in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Gudstock

A few sucklers here, 9 so far, all good so far touch wood.
    The interesting ones:

1. Maiden heifer AI'd twice 6 weeks apart and appeared to be covered by the bull at least once more actually held to the first AI. Lovely AA heifer calf.

2. Two maiden Sims (30 months) calved to Saler PZB. Bull and heifer, the bull needed slight assistance to get the head out but came easy then. Haven't had salers before but these are very large, much heavier and bigger than AAs on other maidens. I was expecting same size as easy AAs?

3. I have a fourth calver LMxHE springing to my SI stockbull, a week to time by my records. She is showing a prolapse when she lies down. She never had any issues to date. On hay for a few weeks. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Gudstock wrote: »
    The interesting ones:

1. Maiden heifer AI'd twice 6 weeks apart and appeared to be covered by the bull at least once more actually held to the first AI. Lovely AA heifer calf.

2. Two maiden Sims (30 months) calved to Saler PZB. Bull and heifer, the bull needed slight assistance to get the head out but came easy then. Haven't had salers before but these are very large, much heavier and bigger than AAs on other maidens. I was expecting same size as easy AAs?

3. I have a fourth calver LMxHE springing to my SI stockbull, a week to time by my records. She is showing a prolapse when she lies down. She never had any issues to date. On hay for a few weeks. Any advice?

Keep the pen clean and don't bull her again would be mine. Have kept them before and it gets worse every year in my experience. I had one last year that stayed doing it after she calved.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Gudstock

How did she go during calving?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I've had them here over the years showing some bit of prolapse before calving. They all calved ok, but I got rid of them after. I hate to see it.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

Gudstock wrote: »
    The interesting ones:

I'd expect Salers to be bigger framed and a bit heavier than easy calved AA calves but they're usually a bag of bones when they're born so easily calved.
    There's always a chance that you'll have to help a heifer with a bull calf, once he came easy that's the main thing.
    PZB might be a bit harder calved than other Saler bulls, something like Knottown Roy might be better for heifers.

I wouldn't be too worried about the cow with the prolapse, she'll probably calve away without problems, as LC says better keep the pen clean for her and keep an eye on her when she's calving.

8 calves now
    3 Angus heifers
    4 fr bulls
    1 fr heifer

Anyone else think there is a couple in this lady, she got stuck in the crush last November before I put them to the winterage and she wouldn't be the biggest cow in the place. Have only had a few sets of twins here in my memory. Gone fierce bulky looking in the last fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Anyone else think there is a couple in this lady, she got stuck in the crush last November before I put them to the winterage and she wouldn't be the biggest cow in the place. Have only had a few sets of twins here in my memory. Gone fierce bulky looking in the last fortnight.

She looks fleshy for twins. For experience is the one that looks like twins will horse out a big bull calf and the least expected one will throw 2 little bucks the size of big lamb

Dunedin wrote: »
    She looks fleshy for twins. For experience is the one that looks like twins will horse out a big bull calf and the least expected one will throw 2 little bucks the size of big lamb

That was my experience of the few we had over the years too. She's not as fleshy as she looks in the pic either. There's something big in there anyway either way, I'll find out soon enough. She's the first cow I ever had to get stuck in the crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Looks like twins. 1st friesian cow calved Friday with twin belgium blue bulls. Cow wasn't scanned to twins. She'd gone shook lately. Had a job getting a rope around one of the legs. Jacked a big calf and calf dead. Left the cow rest and came back later to check her and a second calf wrapped in the womb. Learnt a lesson to check cows for a second calf. Going to change my scanner as well. He's not picking up on twins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

That's a serious belly, you'd swear it was photoshopped. If it's only one calf it'll be huge. I'd be expecting twins, maybe even triplets:D.
    Has she long left to go?

As for scanning, are any scanners able to predict twins. Do they have to be scanned at a particular stage in pregnancy to pick them up?

Looks like twins. 1st friesian cow calved Friday with twin belgium blue bulls. Cow wasn't scanned to twins. She'd gone shook lately. Had a job getting a rope around one of the legs. Jacked a big calf and calf dead. Left the cow rest and came back later to check her and a second calf wrapped in the womb. Learnt a lesson to check cows for a second calf. Going to change my scanner as well. He's not picking up on twins

How far on were they when scanned? Hard to pick them up when over 4.5 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭White Clover

tanko wrote: »
    That's a serious belly, you'd swear it was photoshopped. If it's only one calf it'll be huge. I'd be expecting twins, maybe even triplets:D.
    Has she long left to go?

As for scanning, are any scanners able to predict twins. Do they have to be scanned at a particular stage in pregnancy to pick them up?

Between 35 and 70 days is ideal. Any more than 70 days, when the foetus is bigger, there could be one hiding behind the other if you know what I mean. No matter who is scanning them, they won't see the second foetus then.

How far on were they when scanned? Hard to pick them up when over 4.5 months

Will check my dates later. Was probably over 4.5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭White Clover

How many days was the cow incalf when scanned?
    If heavy incalf, its difficult to pick up twins.

How many days was the cow incalf when scanned?
    If heavy incalf, its difficult to pick up twins.

Cow was served on the 19th April and scanned on the 26th September

Cow was served on the 19th April and scanned on the 26th September

Ye, just one of those things. We've all been there. Twins are a disaster on the cow.

Ye, just one of those things. We've all been there. Twins are a disaster on the cow.

When should I be scanning?

When should I be scanning?

Anytime after 28 days. Look it doesn't work out for the early cows when you scan later on but you are trying to catch late cows too. We scan early Sept here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Christ I’d say twins, mind you From the ones that carried twins here you’d hardly tell. I have one scanned to twins will start given her a bit of tlc. Scanner picked her up at 4.5 months

Advertisement