Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 257 Poirier vs McGregor 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

walshb wrote: »
    Yes.

Conor looked to be the man in charge alright....

Anyway....it matters most in the cage....

It's not hard when most questions are directed towards you. People think way too much into these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

McGregor by Sub
    Hard to see past a McGregor win here.

Conor seems confident as ever, albeit a bit more reserved and humble than we're used to seeing.

Dustin, while a much improved fighter since their last meeting, is still a level below Conor in my opinion. Add that to the fact he looks mentally beaten/nervous and I think he's in for a difficult night. I don't think his head is in it.

Poirier is a great fighter and, by all accounts, a decent guy but I think he'll be hurt early, cover up, and be stopped within a round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

McGregor by Sub
    The more I see of Dan Hooker the more I like him. He seems like a really down to earth guy. Always really shilled, honest and having a laugh in all his interviews.

A bit of fresh air compared to some of the more dry personalities we often get in MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

McGregor by Sub
    bmcc10 wrote: »
    It's not hard when most questions are directed towards you. People think way too much into these things.

That depends sometimes you can see a man's confidence before a fight and sometimes you can see a man in turmoil and it can matter .

A great one that showed it can matter and at the same time not matter happened in the same fight ,

When Groves fought Froch the first time,

Froch was a mess and he didn't do anything alarming but you could just see Gorves really got to him and it translated into the start of the fight,

Froch was so tense and nervous Groves caught him early and nearly won because of it but then the other side kicked in once he got a few smacks and settled into the reality of the fact it was just another fight kicked in and he fought his ass of to come back into the fight,

Problem in MMA is because of the small gloves & the fact they can smack you on the deck you often don't get the chance to re-set your mind ,

Mindset at the highest level is what sets the very best apart ,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

moneyman wrote: »
    More than likely, yes. I don't really buy that Conor's cardio could improve to such an extent that it could be on par with the likes of Poirier/Diaz etc in the later rounds, particularly if he hasn't had it all his way to that point. It's a weakness, largely due to his explosive style. His punches never have pop when we've seen him in rounds 4 And 5, and his footwork and movement are seriously slowed by that point also. That's normal to a degree but it seems to affect Conor more than others.

I think he has a good chance of finishing Dustin within the first two rounds regardless. But if it goes to the later rounds nothing will surprise me.

McGregor threw and landed more shots than Diaz in round 4. It was even McGregor's busiest round. In the 5th, they both had relatively low output but they spent a good chunk of that round in the clinch or attempting/fighting off takedowns, if I remember right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

McGregor by Sub
    What’s the story with the glasses on McGregor? Just for fashion or what?

McGregor by Sub
    Whelo79 wrote: »
    The more I see of Dan Hooker the more I like him. He seems like a really down to earth guy. Always really shilled, honest and having a laugh in all his interviews.

A bit of fresh air compared to some of the more dry personalities we often get in MMA.

Ya always laughing. My first time really watching him this week & seems like good craic alright.

He didn’t get asked much today but that line about Charles Oliveira was very good & it’s true. Thought maybe a bit soon after the Ferguson fight for him but the weight excuse I did think was strange.

McGregor by Sub
    Whelo79 wrote: »
    And the fact that Khabib has said he is retired and was non committal to a comeback. Dana stripped Henry Cejudo's belt quick enough when he retired in the octagon.

It's all just McGregor putting pressure on Khabib to commit to the rematch.

He’s been at it all week, every interview, doing his best to goad Khabib into a rematch and make himself sound good too.

McGregors reply about his “announcement” was class - Khabib didn’t say that, Dana said that. I actually started laughing. He knows Dana, how he lies & likes to spin things.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Poirier by Sub
    bmcc10 wrote: »

I was meaning the face off...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

McGregor by Sub
    Best bit on the latest Embedded is Conor Jr. - "And a birra red sauce" :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

McGregor by Sub
    akelly02 wrote: »
    i think the rematch will be iconic

he has to come back !

please come back khabib!
    I don't see him coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor by Sub
    Poirier looked a little uncomfortable, like he felt he was been groomed

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor by Sub
    "i have broomsticks thicker than Charlie Olives" was the best quote of the presser, Hooker is a funny man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

McGregor by Sub
    not that i'd ever engage in piracy of course, but dana said they're cracking down big time and there will be a "surprise" for anyone trying to do it. wonder what that means?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

McGregor by Sub
    froog wrote: »
    not that i'd ever engage in piracy of course, but dana said they're cracking down big time and there will be a "surprise" for anyone trying to do it. wonder what that means?

He has a host of retired UFC fighters scouring the planet to catch people. If you are streaming on your laptop, don't be surprised to look up and see Matt Serra's fist coming at your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

McGregor by Sub
    froog wrote: »

Probably means nothing. Just the fact that he has put this out means that people will be cautious - and I guess it is working as people are talking about it. Is it a double bluff? What has UFC done that boxing hasn't attempted before?

TBH - I'm not gonna spend £20 for a fight at 5am. I'm not that much of a fan. It'll be viewable somewhere when I get out of bed and have some brekkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor by Sub
    Think he was more on about youtube streamers ....iptv guys are always a step ahead, the likes of Sky and BT tried and failed to put on a block on it so can't see Dana White doing much........not saying he won't have found something up his sleeve for this weekend but there's always a workaround

McGregor by Sub
    I could be wrong, but their first fight is a distant memory as any barometer here...and Dustin seemed to cave very easily in fight 1....caught in an awkward place, maybe...the shots that did him in seemed to glance....

Both similar sized.....Conor is NOT the same fighter he was a few years ago. He is slower, not as sharp....older, and likely has not lived a real clean athlete's life these past few years.

Dustin seems a stronger and more mature and robust fighter compared to years ago.

Interesting match, where a Dustin win should no way be a shock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    What’s the story with the glasses on McGregor? Just for fashion or what?

To help him see his missus and not get her mixed up with some other woman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I could be wrong, but their first fight is a distant memory as any barometer here...and Dustin seemed to cave very easily in fight 1....caught in an awkward place, maybe...the shots that did him in seemed to glance....

Both similar sized.....Conor is NOT the same fighter he was a few years ago. He is slower, not as sharp....older, and likely has not lived a real clean athlete's life these past few years.

Dustin seems a stronger and more mature and robust fighter compared to years ago.

Did you just copy and paste a walshb post? :confused:

It appears you actually did: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115974829&postcount=23

Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dermobrickie

Any way to watch this with out bt sport? I have fightpass but the only option is bt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Poirier on Pts
    akelly02 wrote: »
    i think the rematch will be iconic

Nah.

McGregor by Sub
    Any way to watch this with out bt sport? I have fightpass but the only option is bt.

BT Box Office on Sky €30.
    You don’t need a BT sub, just the pay per view.
    No other legal options in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dermobrickie

I don't have sky😔

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

McGregor by Sub
    moneyman wrote: »
    Did you just copy and paste a walshb post? :confused:

It appears you actually did: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115974829&postcount=23

Bizarre.

Jesus tonight it's either a miracle upon miracles or there in cahoots 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor on Pts
    walshb wrote: »

WTF??

New levels of bizarre today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Mellor wrote: »
    WTF??

New levels of bizarre today

Not really, often soft minds attract the exact same opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Who the fook is that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

McGregor by Sub
    Haha the alt account has been rumbled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Poirier on Pts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement