Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The best pudding thread

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sneem Black puddings are made by two butchers Burns and O'Sullivans. Each have their own recipe, but very similar. Hence, the Regional status.
    Oddly some of the cheaper puddings have little oatmeal, TMK.
    Might be pearl barley in the Clon one, must check that out. Don't know if De Roiste is distributed nationally. McCarthys, Kanturk is a good pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

I like the Dunnes from Wicklow white pudding. The texture though is quite soft/crumbly

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I like the Kelly’s pudding, especially the white.
    I also find the Clonakilty products overrated, all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Water John wrote: »
    Sneem Black puddings are made by two butchers Burns and O'Sullivans. Each have their own recipe, but very similar. Hence, the Regional status.
    Oddly some of the cheaper puddings have little oatmeal, TMK.
    Might be pearl barley in the Clon one, must check that out. Don't know if De Roiste is distributed nationally. McCarthys, Kanturk is a good pudding.

Managed to get the McCarthys in Dunnes and had some earlier. It really is a top drawer pudding, was absolutely delicious. I far preferred it to the Sneem I had last week which was very heavy on oatmeal, I ended up binning the last third of it as I just didnt like it.

Looking at the McCarthys ingredients the first two listed are bacon (36%) and pork (88%). There is oatmeal and pearl barley in it too but not in such big quantities. Also there are spices and water kibbled onion whatever that might be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭con747

Kibbled onion is just Re-hydrated dried onions.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Managed to get the McCarthys in Dunnes and had some earlier. It really is a top drawer pudding, was absolutely delicious. I far preferred it to the Sneem I had last week which was very heavy on oatmeal, I ended up binning the last third of it as I just didnt like it.

Looking at the McCarthys ingredients the first two listed are bacon (36%) and pork (88%). There is oatmeal and pearl barley in it too but not in such big quantities. Also there are spices and water kibbled onion whatever that might be

I presume 88% of the bacon 36% is pork? The subsets can be tricky to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im not sure, this is it

[IMG][/img]mac.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Im not sure, this is it

[IMG][/img]mac.jpg

That ingredients list is allover the place.
    Open brackets that don't close, close brackets that don't open.
    It even suggests that blood is an ingredient of the rusk. I'm surprised they haven't been pulled up on it.

Much as I like this pudding, it isn't a very "bloody" pud.

Advertisement