Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dating Apps/sites

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Apologies if this sounds shallow and I'm certainly no Brad Pitt but are some of these woman serious with the photos they put up?

It's really bad on Hinge I've noticed, some woman there with photos of her during or directly after running a marathon, covered in sweat. I don't understand.

The quality on hinge is seriously bad. Bumble has the best quality in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭YellowLead

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    The quality on hinge is seriously bad. Humble has the best quality in my opinion.

I think which app works best varies by gender, which is interesting. And it also comes down to what you consider ‘quality’ on an individual basis. For anybody wondering which is best, just try them all and you’ll find your best fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

A lot of these Apps are after taking advantage of Covid and charging for extra features , Unfortunately I have found a lot off these apps have gone down hill, the ratio of Male to Females is a lot higher making it even harder for guys to get matches .

I have tried most apps and have had success . A lot of the popular apps such as Tinder, Bumble, and Hinge use a ranking process , so the more likes you get their algorithm ranks your profile higher and is visible to more users , the less likes you get your ranking is below average meaning less users will see your profile.
    Is it worth paying for premium features ? Your profile will get a temporary boost and you may see some results but it will taper off after a few days so not its not worth paying for .

POF- was good up to 5 years ago, unfortunately the ratio of guys on here has increased meaning getting a reply is near impossible and its a lot of the same female users on it over the last year . Guys - avoid it .

Tinder - A lot of Instagram wannabes , selfie lovers but the one I have had most success from after paying for the premium features but it takes a lot of effort on here . The key really is good Pictures .

Bumble - was excellent in the early days but the female ratio has dropped , trying to get a match on here is hard work . I ran a little test and changed my location to Manchester on Travel mode I had 10 matches within a few hours , Changed back to Dublin Nothing. Really is down to population on a lot of these apps .

Match.com - is behind a pay wall and has an older user generation but a lot of the same faces . If you are looking for a serious relation ship might be worth trying .

From a guys point of view , you really do have to put in a lot of work to get any success from these apps . Females get the priority on these apps , and the apps are taking advantage off guys paying for premium features .

My recommend dating Apps

Tinder
    Bumble
    Hinge
    Match
    POF

One tip is to delete your account if you have been on it for ages (this works with tinder anyway) and you will be given priority as a new user and suddenly see lots of new faces you haven’t seen before as the algorithm puts you in a better stack.
    Also it’s tells people they better super like you to stand out as you are a popular user, when in reality you are just new.

Another tip if you are em on the older end of things is to enter an incorrect date of birth regarding the year but then put your real age in the wording on your profile. Because most people have an upper age limit this makes you visible to more users, yet you are night lying as in your profile wording you come clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Tinder also gives a lower amount of right swipes to men than it does to women. Presumably because men are more likely to pay for it.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Tinder also gives a lower amount of right swipes to men than it does to women. Presumably because men are more likely to pay for it.

Ah I didn’t know that! It’s also probably because women are more selective whereas men are more likely to swipe right endlessly on almost everybody hoping that will get a few matches they can pick from.

YellowLead wrote: »
    Ah I didn’t know that! It’s also probably because women are more selective whereas men are more likely to swipe right endlessly on almost everybody hoping that will get a few matches they can pick from.

There's a few articles on it too, but Tinder of course remain tight lipped on it.

It's anecdotal but I've also tested it myself with a few friends, both men and women and in a 12 hour period men got like 40-50 right swipes and the women got about 100

When I rejoined tinder only 3 minutes in my likes were 83 and counting. Once it gets to 100 it no longer tells you how many, unless you pay. Deffo worth doing anybody out there who has been on it a while! You get bumped up and seen by loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

YellowLead wrote: »
    One tip is to delete your account if you have been on it for ages (this works with tinder anyway) and you will be given priority as a new user and suddenly see lots of new faces you haven’t seen before as the algorithm puts you in a better stack.
    Also it’s tells people they better super like you to stand out as you are a popular user, when in reality you are just new.

Another tip if you are em on the older end of things is to enter an incorrect date of birth regarding the year but then put your real age in the wording on your profile. Because most people have an upper age limit this makes you visible to more users, yet you are night lying as in your profile wording you come clean.

Since you mentioned about age, for anyone that pays for Tinder it's also worth noting that the older you are the more they charge for subscriptions. As soon as I turned 30 I noticed that the price went up dramatically when the option to subscribe popped up. I did a bit of a search online and sure enough they up the price when you turn 30. I think they got in trouble for it in the US and had to reverse it, but over here they seem to be able to get away with it.

Tinder is so scummy

• Advertisement

Bad Boyo wrote: »
    I have made Chadfishing profiles on Tinder and Bumble. My profile was was three bedroom selfies of a hot guy and a couple of lines about his height and interests. After an hour I had dozens of matches. After a couple of days I had hundreds of matches.

If you aren't a handsome man then don't bother with online dating, it's 100% about looks.

Obviously it’s going to be EASIER if you are very good looking. Yes you will get more likes, same goes with genders reversed.

But it’s certainly still worth a shot if you are average and have good photos (ie. where you are smiling and don’t have your top off or all group shots etc) and you have interesting text in your profile wording. Now if all you want are supermodels then you might be out of luck alright as they will likely swipe on the handsome dudes only...

Bad Boyo wrote: »
    Good photos and a well crafted bio will do nothing if you are ugly or plain looking. Why would a girl pick you over the hot guy? Because of your bio? Come on, be real.

By all means try but don't be down if you get no results. And for the love of God don't hand your shekels over to these companies.

Perhaps if you are very ugly or overweight yes you are going to struggle online. Most people are average though? It’s a minority that are very good looking or very ugly (though it is subjective).

If you are average you absolutely will have success once you set your profile up correctly. I mean there might be other factors that could reduce success such as lack of info about employment or living in a dodgy area. Or if you say something cynical.

I saw an interesting post before. This guy made 3 fake accounts. 1 was a model, 1 was average and 1 was ugly. Same bio and swiped right on 100 women.

Obviously the model got around 90 matches. The interesting thing though there was very little difference between the amount of matches the ugly and average guy got. I think it was something like 9 to 2.

I saw an interesting post before. This guy made 3 fake accounts. 1 was a model, 1 was average and 1 was ugly. Same bio and swiped right on 100 women.

Obviously the model got around 90 matches. The interesting thing though there was very little difference between the amount of matches the ugly and average guy got. I think it was something like 9 to 2.

In awful at maths but doesn’t that mean the average guy had about 70% more likes than the ugly guy? I’d call that a huge difference. That’s really not bad going - to match with basically 10 per cent of ones swipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

This makes sense. In my experience, most women on tinder are trying to punch well above their weight and seem to believe there is a prince charming out there who will sweep them off their feet.

Grey Fox wrote: »
    This makes sense. In my experience, most women on tinder are trying to punch well above their weight and seem to believe there is a prince charming out there who will sweep them off their feet.

To be fair I'd say a lot of lads are "punching above their weight" (I hate that phrase) on dating Apps too.

Open the pubs :)

To be fair I'd say a lot of lads are "punching above their weight" (I hate that phrase) on dating Apps too.

More like they are punching like a maniac hoping to hit anything

Doubt it. Women are way more selective with sexual partners than men. Which is why the likes of Grindr must be an absolute free for all by comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Tinder is for rookies
    Go to Facebook Marketplace and search for wedding dresses. It'll show you recently divorced females in your area. From there you can filter by size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Ask someone out! Lads dont do this anymore, you can ask someone out without it being creepy or weird. There must be one or two women youre interested in an know are single? Message them or approach them if you see them out, make it clear youre genuinely interested in a date & not just being polite/making friendly chat or just looking for sex.
    All you have to do is say hey, would you like to go for a coffee? All she can say is no.

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Dont Call Me Boomer!!

Ask someone out! Lads dont do this anymore, you can ask someone out without it being creepy or weird. There must be one or two women youre interested in an know are single? Message them or approach them if you see them out, make it clear youre genuinely interested in a date & not just being polite/making friendly chat or just looking for sex.
    All you have to do is say hey, would you like to go for a coffee? All she can say is no.

There are no women who are interested in me atm. Most of my life I've struggled to attract women. And it's not my personality. I can talk to women, make them laugh. But I am ugly which means I am not considered a viable partner.

Because women are bombarded with male attention, especially online, they assume it must be the same for men. Nope! This is why men often fall in love with their female friends, we simply don't have many options.

It's not the 1950s where a man's resources and status counts for anything. These days women are better paid than we are so many men are on the scrapheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

There are no women who are interested in me atm. Most of my life I've struggled to attract women. And it's not my personality. I can talk to women, make them laugh. But I am ugly which means I am not considered a viable partner.

Because women are bombarded with male attention, especially online, they assume it must be the same for men. Nope! This is why men often fall in love with their female friends, we simply don't have many options.

It's not the 1950s where a man's resources and status counts for anything. These days women are better paid than we are so many men are on the scrapheap.

The posters been banned but ill reply anyway.
    Its really not about looks, if that was the case then all generically good looking people would be in relationships and all those people some would consider to be 'ugly' would be single. I know extremely attractive woman who are in relationships with what I would consider to be very unattractive men but they love them because they have connection, they feel listened to, understood and they find their partners attractive and thats all that matters.
    One thing ive noticed that all these men have in common is a silent confidence, they dont need approval from other people, theyre assertive but also caring and kind.
    Women statistically earn less than men so your last statement is a total made up lie that you tell yourself.
    Work on yourself and your confidence and you'll have a much better chance of meeting someone whose right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

All she can say is no.
    While this is true, once you've gotten tens of noes without any yeses it's time to stop. Definition of insanity and all that.

The posters been banned but ill reply anyway.
    Its really not about looks, if that was the case then all generically good looking people would be in relationships and all those people some would consider to be 'ugly' would be single. I know extremely attractive woman who are in relationships with what I would consider to be very unattractive men but they love them because they have connection, they feel listened to, understood and they find their partners attractive and thats all that matters.
    One thing ive noticed that all these men have in common is a silent confidence, they dont need approval from other people, theyre assertive but also caring and kind.
    Women statistically earn less than men so your last statement is a total made up lie that you tell yourself.
    Work on yourself and your confidence and you'll have a much better chance of meeting someone whose right for you.

You may as well have replied with just be confident bro. Doesn't really help him much.

You may as well have replied with just be confident bro. Doesn't really help him much.

Yeah, I really feel bad for some guys out there. I get loads of matches online, whereas some guys I know get almost nothing.

It's a cruel world!

I think most men struggle to get a good photos of themselves. One good photo on its own would probably do better than 5 awful ones like lost men probably have up.

I'm fairly picky swiping women. If I see one bad pic I'll swipe left. I'd imagine women are even picker. You are only as good as your worse pic.

Evade wrote: »
    While this is true, once you've gotten tens of noes without any yeses it's time to stop. Definition of insanity and all that.
    I've resigned myself to the fact that the only women I can get are either mentalists or those with really low self esteem. This is based on years of dating, which I am now sick to the teeth of. So I've decided to stay single indefinitely and visit prostitutes or erotic massage parlours for my sexual needs. I can live without the companionship part.

• Advertisement

I think the ‘I’m too ugly to get dates’ line is a total cop out. Be confident and have a sense of humour and have interesting things you do with your life and you are winning.
    Look around you the next time you are in a park. Is every guy with a girl on his arm a male model? Hardly.
    A lot of men just don’t know how to make a good profile. Tip - if you can, get your hands on the phone of a female friend and watch while she swipes and get her to give feedback on why she swipes left and right.

Advertisement