Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBI - Poles in front garden

• 14-12-2020 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

I know this has come up re ESB poles, but I was wondering if anyone knows what my options are:

I was advised a few months back that our area is in scope for the intervention area of the National Broadband Plan - with connections expected towards the end of next year. Understandably - delighted to hear that as my 4G internet is very unreliable.

I got a visit from two NBI employees over the weekend who were surveying the area. They asked about my front garden (runs along a rural road) and showed me a plan which had 2 poles running along the front of the garden.

While I don't want to stand in the way of progress, I'm after pumping a lot of money into landscaping this year and have just planted hedging and trees along the roadside. The garden runs right to the road, so no footpath, etc.

I asked if we could change to route, or even go underground and they just said that they would note our objection and someone from Dublin would be in contact.

Has anyone experienced something similar? What are my options here? Can I insist the poles are rerouted elsewhere? Or can I insist they go underground? Should I over to get the trench dug along my own land? Even underground won't be ideal, as it will make sh1te of the new lawn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CelicaGT

I see that no one answered your question, did you find out any more info on this as I'm after coming across the same issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭tedimc

CelicaGT wrote: »
    I see that no one answered your question, did you find out any more info on this as I'm after coming across the same issue?

No - nothing. However I did receive a visit from another NBI rep doing a planning survey. He totally ruled out going underground and said that we were well within our rights to say no to the poles. He said what will likely happen is that they will do what parts of the network they can and just stop when it reaches our land. They may come back then to discuss rerouting the poles at some point in the future, but that could be years away. We are due to be connected in august this year and he said we would likely get pushed out a few years if the network can’t be completed.

Are you having a similar situation with NBI also?

Yep, we are in the same situation. A couple of the neighbours and myself don't want wires or poles running in front of our Houses but they can put them underground if they wish. I don't think we will be connecting to fibre as mobile broadband is plenty good enough in the area anyway. Fibre is €50 to €70 a month vs €20 to €30 for mobile broadband. We are in Co. Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you don't own the land you may not be in a position to anything tbh. Had similar problem with esb in the past for a neighbours new house. I didnt want the cables but they would have been passing my front windows with a seaview.

Compromised and I offered to dig section of garden to run underground. I laid the pipework too on a Saturday. About 60 metered.

I'd urge you to think twice about what you are objecting to though. High chance of impacting your house price if you refuse fiber. Also is there existing phone line poles on the route there ?

The local farmers and people living closebye don't want wires running overhead, they can put them underground if they wish or come from the opposite side to reach a cluster of 3 Houses up the road as the length of wire on the poles would be the same distance to them from the last pole on the other side or about 30m longer. There is one pole on the boundary which is the last in the line for the area which and can serve our House and the neighbours as he has a 4" undeground duct already there for the eircom. It would be useful to have broadband there but not many will connect when the price is so high and when you can get mobile broadband for less than half the price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The local farmers and people living closebye don't want wires running overhead, they can put them underground if they wish or come from the opposite side to reach a cluster of 3 Houses up the road as the length of wire on the poles would be the same distance to them from the last pole on the other side or about 30m longer. There is one pole on the boundary which is the last in the line for the area which and can serve our House and the neighbours as he has a 4" undeground duct already there for the eircom. It would be useful to have broadband there but not many will connect when the price is so high and when you can get mobile broadband for less than half the price

They are in no way comparable

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

From what I was told - they will gladly run it in a duct up to someone’s house - but the home owner needs to run the duct themselves.

But the network infrastructure need to be easily accessible from the road. So in a rural location - poles are the only alternative for this.

I’m very much on the fence - I’d really like the fiber connection as I work from home all the time normally anyway - and our 4G broadband is ok at times, but terrible when you really need it.

Thanks for your help guys.

I work from Home also and use mobile broadband of 12mb download and 2.4mb upload and it is plenty adequate for me. A while back it was upto 18mb download. Peak demand at 8pm, it probably can drop to 6 or 7mb but it does not effect zoom meetings, etc.

Thanks for your help guys.

I work from Home also and use mobile broadband of 12mb download and 2.4mb upload and it is plenty adequate for me. A while back it was upto 18mb download. Peak demand at 8pm, it probably can drop to 6 or 7mb but it does not effect zoom meetings, etc.

Just beware that this might change as 5G gets rolled out and you will probably need to upgrade equipment. I seen it happen with 3G to 4G and it is happening to me now on 4G; the suppliers are reducing the bandwidth on the older tech to allocate to the new one.

I was getting 40-60mb, but that has dropped significantly. Usually I can work away fine - but now if the kids are watching Netflix or Disney; my call quality drops a lot.

Advertisement