Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever find anything interesting in a second hand book?

• 09-10-2020 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭

I am reading a book I got in a charity shop and it's got a train ticked London Victoria in the middle it's from 2018 the person probably used the ticked as a bookmarker on the journey.

I have occasionally found little notes on second-hand books, one said 'read on a journey from Budapest to Paris.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

mariaalice wrote: »
    I am reading a book I got in a charity shop and it's got a train ticked London Victoria in the middle it's from 2018 the person probably used the ticked as a bookmarker on the journey.

I have occasionally found little notes on second-hand books, one said 'read on a journey from Budapest to Paris.

Yeah...the ability to spell "Ever".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

There was some library in Dublin a few years back and money was appearing in books,fifties, twenties, tens just randomly appearing there.

mad stuff Ted ...

edit- I didn't find any money >:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Stuck together pages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Yes, frequently come across messages like:

Peter,

You'll love this book.

Best Wishes,

Mary and Jim
    Dublin 2018

Peter loved the book so much he flogged to a secondhand bookstore...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

jetsonx wrote: »

Peter,

You'll love this book.

Best Wishes,

Mary and Jim
    Dublin 2018

:D:D !!

Great!

• Advertisement

Stupid comments in pencil on the pages from previous owners who didn't really understand the subject that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Leaving comments is interesting another one I came across was 'very interesting must reread'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

A life sized, anatomically accurate penis.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

s1ippy wrote: »
    A life sized, anatomically accurate penis.

Hardback?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Peter,

You'll love this book.

Best Wishes,

Mary and Jim
    Dublin 2018

Peter might have died and all his books were cleared out to the local charity shop.

Years ago before charity shops became a bit more of a business they use to just put up what came in and it was easy to sport the ones from a clear out after someone had died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Peter,

You'll love this book.

Best Wishes,

Mary and Jim
    Dublin 2018

Surely, the book was of little use to Peter after he read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭ozmo

Can anyone recommend one of these second hand book shops that will take books - I have a very large collection of recent books all in like new condition - science, art, boating, Irish related and engineering.

Ideally one in Dublin North or West - with parking space outside their door - Chapters in City Center etc are out as are too far from carparks to carry the books from - there is a Lot!

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Only ever found owner's signatures or dedications "To Timmy from Dad" and such.

Just inscriptions and coincidentally like the OP offered, the odd abandoned bus/train ticket used as a page marker. On a slightly off topic note though I did buy one book that comes with a CD of sort of atmospheric instrumental music that is intended by the author to act as a soundtrack for you to listen to as you read. Nice touch but bit of a novelty. Didn't actually enhance my own experience as I prefer to read in silence, but whatever, it might work for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

My cousin used to be a librarian and they used to find all sorts, usually used as bookmarks.

A rasher of bacon. A receipt for an eye-wateringly expensive engagement ring. Photos, sometimes explicit. Money was pretty common.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

A signed portrait photo of Eamonn DeValera in a book I got for 2 euro in charity shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,017 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A signed portrait photo of Eamonn DeValera in a book I got for 2 euro in charity shop.

Explicit?

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Explicit?

Jesus I hope not!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Explicit?

Unfortunately not. Just black and white of him at his desk.

Did you ever hear of that Chap going around buying cheap oil paintings in Dealz and the likes, signing the back of it Adolf Hitler and donating them to charity shops? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,017 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Used to work in a pub that had loads of olld books on the shelves bought from a nearby antique shop. All the books had stuff like happy birthday John 1910 or best wishes Mary 1908.

All conveniently written in the same handwriting and same pen

• Advertisement
Advertisement