Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most overrated book

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

There are thousands of editions of this book lying unread on the bookshelves of Ireland
    That's because a paper, the Independent I think, gave everyone a free copy of it about 10 or 15 years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Papillon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Helliconia by Brian Aldiss is frequently name-checked as being among the great SF novels.

I found it awful boring, gave up halfway through and I rarely don't finish books.

HHhH by Laurent Binet. About life of Reinhardt Heydrich.
    By the end of it, Binet is in a state of complete nervous mental breakdown.

For aspiring authors like Binet, could I say that there are still ruthless murderous statesmen out there in the modern era, even worse. For example I'm reading the book, Assad or we burn the country.

Back to Laurent Binet. He should stick to writing some books about gardening? Flower arrangement??

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blueberrypie

The Heart's Invisible Furies, by John Boyne (same thing over and over in his interactions with people)
    Milkman Anna Burns (just say what you have to say in one sentence, rather than paraphrasing the one sentence over and over making a paragraph)

They still won awards so the authors must be doing something right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Butterbeans

What is the most overrated book you have read and why?

For me it has to be Beatlebone by Kevin Barry.

I don't know if it is the worst book I have ever read (it may be) but I say overrated as it has won awards and garnered a lot of praise.

It strikes me as the literary version of the recent taping a banana to a wall in an art gallery or a blank canvas with one dot in the middle where everyone stands around and says it's amazing as they are all afraid of being branded a philistine by saying is this not just a load of ****?

I thought it was a self-indulgent load of nonsense - the kind of "modern literary" book someone might write as a joke to see how many awards it might win. The chapter towards the end about the writing process really took the biscuit too.
    I absolutely agree with you re Beatlebone, I couldn't bring myself to finish it after 2 attempts. And I'd be a fan of Kevin Barry, with City of Bohane being a favourite of mine. I'd highly reccomend.

The Shack by William P. Young is another one for me. Such hype about it when it came out. I got it as a Christmas present from my dad, read it, told him I didn't like it.....then I got it as a Christmas present from him again the following year (he claims innocence on this). I gave him the 2nd copy to read, he thought it was rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

Anything by John Banville. Seems to write with a dictionary at his elbow to find obscure words. His stories under the name Benjamin Black are at least readable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Magician by Feist. It was young adult fantasy back when that genre was actually mainly read by young adults. Many people really loved the book and its always on every fantasy reading list. Problem is its muck. The magic system makes no sense and everything is completely contrived. Grand if you're a teenager but its adults recommending it to other adults based solely on nostalgia and the fact we had limted access to this genre In ireland at the time it came out.
    Magician itself is sort of passable in that genre aimed at teenagers but the sequels are even greater muck.

The magic system is based on Dungeons and Dragons btw as the world originally started out as a D&D campaign with his friends.

adrian92 wrote: »
    Latest Robert Harris book disappointing

Hated it and didn't finish it.

But i did like Little Women.

And Friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. A series of quirky events - each wackier than the last - wow, is that a talking alien, the answer to everything is.......42, it took us millenia to get that answer BUT WE DON'T KNOW THE QUESTION, lol chortle, so wacky.

Don't understand its appeal at all at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. A series of quirky events - each wackier than the last - wow, is that a talking alien, the answer to everything is.......42, it took us millenia to get that answer BUT WE DON'T KNOW THE QUESTION, lol chortle, so wacky.

In fairness, it's funnier if you heard the radio show first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Dont know if its a particular sense of humour but i was hooked from the very first paragraph. Reading it just gives me a warm glow inside, there's not much in my life beyond the obvious that cant be improved by reading a few pages of the Hitchhikers guide, with trusty towel always within easy reach.

I have a similar relationship with Red Dwarf which i see as its spiritual offspring.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Wuthering Heights?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think I preferred the other four books in the trilogy - So Long and Thanks for all the Fish is my favourite of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Anything by John Grisham in recent years

His name power alone can guarantee sales but he’s been mailing it in a while now

The Whistler, Rogue Lawyer and The Rooster Bar all a load of ****e

The Reckoning was a superb book until the last few pages, worst ending ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Totally agree with the poster who mentioned Pillars of the Earth. I was slightly daunted starting it, I expected it to be really dense and important considering the subject matter but it's a trashy beach read. An episodic soap opera just based in the 12th century. The sequel really hammered home how untalented the author was, same story all over again and some of the characters even had the same names!

Someone else mentioned Sally Rooney, I've only read Ordinary People and don't get the hype. Randy teenagers grow into their 20s and have a few issues, yawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

Shantaram, I thought it was a slog of a read. I think Gregory David Roberts enjoys the ambiguity around what is fact and what is fiction.

This... I am brilliant....I am brilliant....the end. I got three quarters in and gave up.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

This... I am brilliant....I am brilliant....the end. I got three quarters in and gave up.

I was close to giving up but I thought I've come this far :D It's a monster of a book.

Not a hope I'd read anything by him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The Curoous Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime - I just couldn't warm to it as a book. The narrator's voice was very well done but it made it very difficult to get into.

Probably my favourite book of all time. I laughed out loud, I cried, beautiful book.

Worst book of all time...fifty shades of shi*. Cringe fest. I was cursing and shouting at the book every time she mentioned her inner goddess. Couldn't get more than half way through it. Gave it to the Charity shop. Believe its the most donated book. Should not be mentioned in the same sentence as literature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The World According to Garp.

Self-indulgent twaddle populated by a cast of annoying characters.

The first book that even stubbornness couldn't make me finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

adrian92 wrote: »
    Wuthering Heights?
    I quite like Wuthering Heights but Heathcliff and Cathy are about as far from the romantic ideal that many seem to think they are as you can get. She's a delusional, manipulative headcase and he's a complete psychopath.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I know I might be alone in this, but I thought The Book Thief (Markus Zusack) was very overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

Catch 22 - I love the genre, but thought it was awful and couldn't get into it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

appledrop wrote: »
    Ah this is easy 'The Milkman' an absolute pile of c@@p. In opening few pages it tells you what happens + that's if for the whole book.

100% agree. Listen to audiobooks and put me asleep every time on the bus

Useless. Nothing happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Lord of the Rings trilogy. Although I quite liked them when I read them years ago it's Tolkien's habit of going into WAY too much detail when describing locations and scenery that has put me off re-reading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭pavb2

100 Years of Solitude

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭McHardcore

I never understood the attraction to The Catcher in the Rye

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I see Catcher in the Rye getting a lot of mentions here and I'd agree, it is just a whiny teenager b1tching about everyday things that don't really matter - I was in my mid 20's when I read it and didn't get the hype at all, found it boring - I do wonder though if I had read it as a teenager it might have been one of the greatest books I'd ever read, I might have felt that the author really understands me because most of us were whiny little b1tches when we were teenagers

My other vote for this thread would be Amongst Women, considered by many to be McGahern's masterpiece - absolute drivel, extremely dull and very soporific

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

A lot of mentions for books that people had to read for the Leaving Cert.
    Might be better if we excluded these. As a lot of those mentioning them probably haven't gone near a book since school.

Advertisement