Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Latest Purchases 2.0 - Mod note in first post

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

SozBbz wrote: »
    Well done, lucky you! I hope mine fit when they arrive -if you're on the border of a 10 then maybe mine wont fit because I'm a definite 12 bottoms and sometimes size up if an item runs small. I literally just got my dispatch notice now and obviously I ordered a day before you, so yours were very quick.

They'll definitely be better quality than Penneys. I havent bought clothes from Penneys in years because I always found I'd go off things from there really quickly, probably because they didnt hold up that well after washing so even thought stuff was cheap, its bad value if you can't get good wear out of an item.

I ended up ordering another pair of those Zara jeans in the blue, same size (12). Got them today, and they waist is HUGE, they are a totally different fit to the black. I have to send them back. They don't have any size 10 left in stock either. So annoying! The light blue colour is so nice, and they are lovely but I can't wear them with such a big waist. Mad how they can fit so differently! I LOVE the black ones, I've worn them loads, my new favourite jeans!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I ended up ordering another pair of those Zara jeans in the blue, same size (12). Got them today, and they waist is HUGE, they are a totally different fit to the black. I have to send them back. They don't have any size 10 left in stock either. So annoying! The light blue colour is so nice, and they are lovely but I can't wear them with such a big waist. Mad how they can fit so differently! I LOVE the black ones, I've worn them loads, my new favourite jeans!

Zara sizing is a bit mad. I've definitely noticed more during this pandemic as I've only been online shopping and I'd thought since I shop there so much I'd be well able to guess my size in items, but that has not always been the case.

One thing Id ask about your jeans is if the blue ones feel the same in terms of fabric? I remember the black ones being a full demin (no elastine mix) but perhaps theres some stretch in the blue ones? Frustrating though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Zara sizing is a bit mad. I've definitely noticed more during this pandemic as I've only been online shopping and I'd thought since I shop there so much I'd be well able to guess my size in items, but that has not always been the case.

One thing Id ask about your jeans is if the blue ones feel the same in terms of fabric? I remember the black ones being a full demin (no elastine mix) but perhaps theres some stretch in the blue ones? Frustrating though.

Different type of denim I'd say and very heavy in weight! I think maybe a little bit more of a stretch, but not really stretchy either. they fit nice in the leg and bum, but the waist was like a size 14 on me. Not even a belt would really have solved it as it would have gathered too much. I am not looking to go back to the 90's look with jeans! :D:D I was hoping there was a smaller size, but not even the option to go on one of their email lists when the size comes back in. Pity.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Different type of denim I'd say and very heavy in weight! I think maybe a little bit more of a stretch, but not really stretchy either. they fit nice in the leg and bum, but the waist was like a size 14 on me. Not even a belt would really have solved it as it would have gathered too much. I am not looking to go back to the 90's look with jeans! :D:D I was hoping there was a smaller size, but not even the option to go on one of their email lists when the size comes back in. Pity.

Ah sure such is the joys of Zara! At least the returns are free. I know the shops are open now but I'm still going to do my returns by post for the time being.

• Advertisement

Ah sure such is the joys of Zara! At least the returns are free. I know the shops are open now but I'm still going to do my returns by post for the time being.

I have to return by post as there unfortunately no Zara in Kerry! Sent my husband off with the return this morning as I rarely get into town these days with a 3 year old at home. I've been Waiting a while for the returns label to be emailed though. Don't know why its taking so long!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Daisy78 wrote: »
    Attachment not found.. I have some weddings coming up, once lockdown lifts. Sale price expensive but hopefully will get plenty of wear out of it.

Dress arrived, lovely, delighted with it. One minor gripe is the zip at the side is bunching or puckering out (not sure how to describe it properly!), like there isn’t enough material attached to the zip, in other words too much zip! Another job for the dress maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Dress arrived, lovely, delighted with it. One minor gripe is the zip at the side is bunching or puckering out (not sure how to describe it properly!), like there isn’t enough material attached to the zip, in other words too much zip! Another job for the dress maker.

Fabulous dress Daisy, if it's a quality issue I'd definitely be asking LK to cover the cost of the dressmaker

Are you sure its not an error with the particular dress you've been sent? If you don't need it urgently then perhaps it would be worth engaging with their customer care and seeing if you can exchange it for a fresh one?

So the fastway man has just dropped off a ASOS parcel - delighted to get it ahead of the weekend (although, where am I going, nowhere!)

I ordered 2 dresses from & Other Stories, both in their sale;

This one was £39 down from £85 (I always shop in £ on ASOS)

https://www.asos.com/other-stories/other-stories-jewel-print-pearl-strap-cami-dress-in-black/prd/14007371?ctaRef=my%20orders

and

This one was £55 down from £85

https://www.asos.com/other-stories/other-stories-shirred-mini-wrap-dress-in-mint-green/prd/14576806?ctaRef=my%20orders

I've only stared buying from & Other Stories relativly recently and I have to say I love their quality. I'm a bit on the fence with the first dress - part of me absolutely loves it but equally its a bit "extra" to say the least so not sure what occasion I'd wear it for. So not sure I'll keep it but it is lovely.
    The second one is just georgous. The organic cotton is just beautiful, its lined so not see through and it just feels like a really quality piece.

I also bought one more dress from a brand called Sister Jane which I'd heard some fashion types mention and was curious about.

https://www.asos.com/sister-jane/sister-jane-sheer-layered-midi-dress-in-floral-spot-with-volume-sleeves/prd/13913924?ctaRef=my%20orders

Not good, i've already repackaged it and will be returning. Literally the only thing closing the dress is the two buttons you see with one further button behind it for reinforcement I guess.- I'd assumed these were decorative rather the only things holding the dress together. Its also not remotely cut for anything beyond a B (which is not me!) and finally I just thought it felt cheap. So, really nothing I like about it. I don't even feel its worth its sale price, let alone how they justify the full price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I find Other Stories very good and their shoes are great quality for the price. I'm not sure about Asos pricing for Other Stories but I found pricing for Weekday (another H&M brand) a lot higher on Asos website than on their own website.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I find Other Stories very good and their shoes are great quality for the price. I'm not sure about Asos pricing for Other Stories but I found pricing for Weekday (another H&M brand) a lot higher on Asos website than on their own website.

Yeah, the pricing is a fair point, but I only bought reduced items and couldnt find them on the & Other Stories website (or not in my size).
    I wouldn't buy full price items from Asos for any european brand really - if he native currency is €, its rarely in your favour to covert to £ and back again. I find Asos occasionally good for other UK brands (either they might have an item on sale or the delivery would be free) and therefore it comes out favourable when compared to the brands own website, for example with Topshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I've bought nothing since Christmas and have just been given a date for going back to work after the Covid break so decided to buy a few bits! Tried Cos, Zara and Desigual and a few other spots I'd usually rely on for Summer stuff and found nothing I liked, so on that basis I had a look at M&S and Debenhams (where I never find anything) and saw quite a few tops I liked!
    https://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_54510+501796027_-1 This is lovely, gorgeous quality fabric and the colour combination is unusual - it doesn't show up well in the photo but the main body of the shirt is aqua and white stripes.
    https://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_057030610543_-1 (got this in white too - reasonably nice fit, remains to be seen how it'll look after a wash or two)
    https://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_018030655380_-1 Again, this is a really nice quality cotton basic. I like the bit of detail around the shoulders and the little waist tie.
    https://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_038020604743_-1 And this is nice and floaty and cool in case we ever get a warm day again.
    Had some jeans and another top or two picked out in M&S but didn't bother with them when the special offer beauty bag sold out within hours (twice). If they restock it again I might go back and buy them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Haven’t bought anything in H and M in a long while but really liked this jumpsuit. Bit long in the leg but will definitely get a day out once the sun comes back!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Woke up this morning not knowing that Zara were having a sale. Popped over to the site and got the below:

516452.JPG

https://www.zara.com/ie/en/leather-top-with-full-sleeves-p05479004.html?v1=34801952&v2=1567250

I was delighted with this, a complete bargain for the price. I had seen it but at €80 I wasn't too fussed about it as I'd normally prefer a less fussy design but for €20 it was a definite purchase.

https://www.zara.com/ie/en/faux-leather-bermuda-shorts-p08558547.html?v1=39946372&v2=1590691

I also picked up those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I was asked by someone here to give an update on the clothes I bought from Free People on Asos.
    I bought two tops, one was a t shirt and the other is a body suit. They were both ridiculously expensive, dont know if this is just me but when I shop online I tend to spend allot more on a single item of clothing than I would if I was to buy them in a shop, the tshirt cost 60 euro, I think I must have read the price wrong when I was purchasing it or something? I dont know but anyway, the material looked to be good quality but the top wasn't as nice on as it looked online, also seemed a little bit too small for me, it fit fine but just didnt look right - thankfully asos do free returns.

The body suit is lovely but very hard to get on and off, I actually pulled something in my neck/shoulder trying to take it off and I noticed the material on the sleeve was ripped a bit. It fits very well when it's on but theres no stretch in the material at all so its very hard to get arms in and out, I had to stand into it and pull it up that way as I kept getting stuck when I tried to take it off over my head.
    Im a size small, definitely put on a bit of weight over the lockdown but have no problem fitting into my other clothes. If anyones thinking of purchasing from Free People id suggest going a size up.
    I dont think id buy from this brand online again, I really would want to see the clothes in person and try them on before buying.
    Hope that helps anyone who likes the brand but hasnt tried their clothes before. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I've always loved the Savida range in Dunnes Stores but hadn't bought anything from them in ages. Decided to treat myself cos I haven't bought clothes in ages.

Got this red blouse, love the puffy organza sleeves although it feels a bit strange on at first! Will be great for work or with a pair of demins.
    https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/savida-sheer-collared-blouse/7928910?colour=Red

Next I got this peach coloured light knit. Love the colour and the detail on the sleeve. Only little thing is the mesh detailing around the neckline often seems to tuck in under the neckline during the day due to movement.
    https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/savida-mesh-neck-button-jumper/7936721?colour=Peach

Lastly I got this cardigan in the off white - seeing a trend here with the mesh... I like it but I'm not mad about it on me, it looks a bit big and the sleeves look bigger on me. I'm usually a small but I ordered a medium as I find that sometimes Savida clothes can run small in sizing.
    https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/savida-tulle-sleeve-cardigan/7937829?colour=Off-White

Lastly I had been stalking this dress all during lockdown and eventually it came back in stock in my size. It's quite light material and a bit clingy around the tummy even though it's not tight or anything. Colour of the dress is a bit more muted in real life. But it's nice on and will need a bit of layering up for Irish weather!
    https://www2.hm.com/en_ie/productpage.0872454002.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Great selection of tops SunnyDayz! The peach is so cute.

I actually need to be stopped, I'm stony broke and have nowhere to go but sure I bought a dress in store in Oasis today, half price at €36. It ticks a lot of boxes for me though, fitted, belted, knee length, gingham is my fave pattern and it's actually a zip up the front, so you can wear it with a bit of a v-neck which works for my figure. That's my justification and I'm sticking to it.

OA221C0N6-T11@5.jpg

FYI the H&M sale has started....I'll just leave that here.

Anyway, sure of course I've already made a little order.

Firstly - these little cuties

https://www2.hm.com/en_ie/productpage.0805308004.html

Then I bought this which had been sitting in my favourites for a while - i often make a deal with myself if I think something is cute but impractical, that I'll buy it if it goes into sale at a good price.

https://www2.hm.com/en_ie/productpage.0890639002.html

Finally I got this dress. I'd seen a white version of it on Instagram previously and thought it was pretty so thought I'd give it a go.

https://www2.hm.com/en_ie/productpage.0790167004.html

Still doing free delivery and free returns, and even though I don't have a printer at home you can take your parcel to the Post Office wtih a barcode on your phone and they'll print the return label for you. The post office man is sick of me I'm sure, but hey!

Didnt find the Zara sale much use to be quite honest, but I did order 2 things. There was a dress I really wanted but I missed out on it (they were showing what was going to be on sale on the afternoon until about 4pm when the app went down to switch over to the sale. I logged on at 5.55pm for the sale supposedly starting at 6 and it was gone! Devo)

zara dress.jpg
    zara jumper.jpg

Couldnt figure out how to attach the pics to my above post becuase I'd written it as quick reply and think I needed the advanced options.

Anyway, these are my 2 Zara buys, I think they could both go either way but sure look! Both are gone from the website so hence the image attachments.

• Advertisement

I ventured into Penney's....although I did wait until about 8pm and it was nice and quiet!

I got a swimsuit, which is not something I have bought in about 5 years! I like the ruffles on this one. Hope we get the weather now!

https://primedia.primark.com/i/primark/132385905-01?w=1000&h=1000&img404=missing_product&v=1592864798082&locale=en-*,*]

I also got a pair of light green/khaki cargo trousers, quite a loose leg, and they are a lovely fit. I had been looking at them before lockdown, and they were still there when they reopened. I can't find the image online though.

zara dress.jpg
    zara jumper.jpg

Couldnt figure out how to attach the pics to my above post becuase I'd written it as quick reply and think I needed the advanced options.

Anyway, these are my 2 Zara buys, I think they could both go either way but sure look! Both are gone from the website so hence the image attachments.

My Zara sale order arrived and both items are awful. The dress is so strange, appears to be really poor quality despite being sold as premium quality, but there are loose threads everywhere and it looks really cheap.

The jumper just feels cheap and looks frumpy on rather than cute. its also a bit of a dull colour.

Ah, sometimes its better that things are awful so theres no temptation to keep them and the decision to send the order back is an easy one!

I got these trainers in Dunnes today. I had seen them a while back, but they had sold out. I found one pair left today & in my size! I love them! They seem to be sold out online too, so I was lucky!

4120116_gold.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

jos28 wrote: »
    Bought this at the weekend from Wren clothing, got 10% off first order. Some nice dresses on their site, if only I had somewhere to go

6-112358_1800x1800.png?v=1586114886

https://wrenclothing.ie/collections/dresses

What's wren's quality like?
    And sizes?
    I've seen a few pieces I like.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

vans-kids-ward-cheetah-canvas-trainers-grey-p28335-111165_medium.jpg

I saw these in lifestyle sports for €45 and thought they were really cute and such a bargain.
    I went to the till and asked if they did student discount they do ,10% ,then the girl at the till asked for €25.20.
    Turns out they'd been further reduced further down to €28.

Day made :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

What's wren's quality like?
    And sizes?
    I've seen a few pieces I like.

No problem with the quality, the top I bought was true to size and delivery was very fast. I got 10% off with 1st order and I'll definitely buy from them again

I got this Steve Madden bag in TK Maxx today. Only €26!

s_5edbe2e309d76045f8a61e88.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Few things I bought over the last while...

Black leather mini skirt from Cuplé Gold

813kSMv7lYL._AC_UY879_.jpg

Diadora Game Charm White Runners
    I bought these because I like the look of the Veja runners, but not sure I could justify their price atm...

501.175116_C0351_04_L.jpg

Floral Trousers
    These are great quality, although I have no clue what the brand is as the tags were cut off! I bought them from E5P a few weeks back, but nearly all the sizes are sold out now

large-floral-print-tapered-trousers-139825-1.jpg

Coated black jeans
    I also bought these from E5P a few weeks back. They're made by Banana Republic. I'm kinda on the fence about them...I might send them back... as they're more low rise than I like.... but they might also be nice paired with an oversize jumper... ah decisions!*

*Edited to add: I returned the coated black jeans as I most likely wouldn't get wear out of them :)

• Advertisement

Apologies for using this thread as a confessional but I've not actually admitted to any of my friends (let alone by OH) know what I bought the other day.

https://en.louisvuitton.com/eng-nl/products/pochette-metis-monogram-nvprod1770372v

In my minor defence, I've coveted it for ages and it had been out of stock for much of the past year so when I saw that LV had restocked.... I felt compelled! I went into Brown Thomas to see if they had it in person and there was one left - I consciously wanted to buy it in Ireland so at least the VAT stays in the country and it supports bricks and mortar retail.

But I am fully banned from shopping for the next 4-6 weeks at a minimum.

Advertisement