Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WandaVision - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was wondering about the Irish connection as well. Thought maybe some production here but no mention on Wikipedia, at least

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I was wondering about the Irish connection as well. Thought maybe some production here but no mention on Wikipedia, at least

I can't imagine anything we've seen so far was filmed here. Although it is possible some scenes in a future episode were filmed here. Maybe some of the animations were worked on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Watched episode 1. Have to say I’m not too impressed.

The classic sitcom skit wears thin really quick, it’s something more suited to a one off special, like maybe something Agents of Shield or Carter would do, but WandaVision seems dedicated to this format.

I’d say the back half will mix things up, which probably means we are stuck with this classic sitcom bit for a good chunk of the season.

It also looks like WandaVision will be spending a lot of time moving the pieces into place. I’m okay with a slow burn approach, but with something of this scale, it has to offer more than it looks like we are going to get.

I’d point to Watchmen as something with similar scale that also takes a slow burn approach, but whereas Watchmen managed to keep things interesting during its set up, WandaVision might struggle.

Olsen and Bettany are great, but they don’t have the imposing presence that Jeremy irons has, nor are the characters Vision and Wanda half as interesting as Ozymandias, Lady Trieu, Looking Glass etc. plus it doesn’t look like there’s many storyline threads going on outside these two characters either.

I’ve no doubt that the show will come good and will lead to a decent payoff, but I just fear getting there will be a bit of a chore.

Like season 1 of Mandalorian, I think the weekly release will hurt the experience and could improve with a binge release.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

CastorTroy wrote: »

Not sure why anyone cares how long the credits are considering the episodes are whatever length is needed. Be different if it was a standard network show which is about 43 minutes including credits. But since 1 episode could be 25 minutes and the next 40 minutes the credits aren't affecting the time needed.
    My point is that 25 minutes to establish a story is very tight and every minute really needs to be used. What did you find so satisfying about episode 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was only okay. I like that it's different but the concept was starting to wear thin with me by the middle of the second episode. I think it's a good idea you can't binge watch the entire series as I imagine that would soon become tiresome.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement

I'm just saying 25 minutes is what they chose to go with. If they felt they needed longer they would've done it and the credits aren't a factor.

I liked that we knew more than the characters. We know this isn't their real world and as it went on,
    things started happening that caused glitches in fake life. Like the dinner when they couldn't remember any details about their lives before like when they got married. And then the choking

But like I said, if the episode had been a 40+ minute episode it would've likely outstayed its welcome.

I do think when it finishes you'll hear people recommending it but saying something like "It's good once it gets past episode 3"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Episode 1 was definitely just setting up how Wanda is coping. Episode 2, we get more of a glimpse into how it's about to fall apart on her. On their own, they're not super exciting episodes but I've a feeling they're going to be more important in the grand scheme of things and I can't wait to see the rest to see how they play this.
    Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but Geraldine is Monica Rambeau who we've seen as the kid in Captain Marvel

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

http://www.ssvfx.ie/work/ssvfx/ VFX studio Mount street Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Sokovian TV must have gotten a lot of old American imports

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

1st 6 episodes rattle through a different decade and parodies the tv style of the decade. Things will continue to ramp up each episode and apparently all hell breaks loose for the last 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 bunny_

they look so cute together. they really match each other. and the costumes are great

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought it was only okay. I like that it's different but the concept was starting to wear thin with me by the middle of the second episode. I think it's a good idea you can't binge watch the entire series as I imagine that would soon become tiresome.

I think I would prefer binge watch altogether

Olsen and Bethany would well together, good chemistry

Onscreen wife is Elizabeth Olsen and offscreen is Jennifer Connelly. He's not doing too bad for himself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1: Seems to be setting the scene. Nothing huge jumped out at me from the black and white story. That hand at the end though.. that's gotta be Maria Hill right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Basq wrote: »
    Let's face it..

.. if this didn't have the Marvel link, not a chance would this have been commissioned.

Who possibly could it be marketed at beside "Marvel head's" (and I include myself in that)?

Reminds me of when Mr Robot did that 20 minutes sitcom set in the 80's.. that was way more entertaining and funny than this.

Obviously. Obviously it wouldn't exist without its link to the MCU. Why on Earth would you think otherwise?

I thought it was funny enough, weird enough and very entertaining.

The humour adds to the weirdness of it. It's otherworldly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Hoping the theory that all the supporting characters are in fact attempted infiltrators is true. Would love to see Emma Caulfield as a regular in the MCU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Really enjoyed it. Nice to see something a bit off the wall from the MCU. I definitely feel these early episodes will be stronger on repeat viewing when we learn what's going on. For now, they are nailing the sitcom vibe, and the odd moments have a good creepy vibe in contrast.

My theory
    is that Vision is dead. He's just another part of this world that Wanda had created (or its someone else manipulating her powers to some end and she still has some control). They even call Vision "Illusion" in their magic act. Feels like a little hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Birneybau wrote: »
    Obviously. Obviously it wouldn't exist without its link to the MCU. Why on Earth would you think otherwise?
    You're missing the point entirely!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,149 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bacchus wrote: »
    Really enjoyed it. Nice to see something a bit off the wall from the MCU. I definitely feel these early episodes will be stronger on repeat viewing when we learn what's going on. For now, they are nailing the sitcom vibe, and the odd moments have a good creepy vibe in contrast.

My theory
    is that Vision is dead. He's just another part of this world that Wanda had created (or its someone else manipulating her powers to some end and she still has some control). They even call Vision "Illusion" in their magic act. Feels like a little hint.

Re your spoiler.
    Glamour and Illusion are call outs to a pair of "Magicians" from Scarlet Witchs solo series. They are actually superhumans but pretend to be human magicians to avoid prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Watched the 2 episodes last night. Worst pile of muck I've seen on tv in a long time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Captain Marvel's little friend all grown up as well.

How many of the other villagers are Superheros.

That's why it reminds me of The Prisoner the elaborate scheme of a Village trying find out what they know.

That's not what the prisoner was about. The prisoner was about attempting to catalogue an individual. Essentially what browser cookies are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That's not what was about. The prisoner was about attempting to catalogue an individual. Essentially what browser cookies are now.

The Prisoner was about breaking number 6 down using elaborate scheme of a supernatural Village and find out what made him tick by putting him with others who may or may not be in the same vote and not knowing who to trust to try break him down and make him conform and give up his secrets on why he is an individual.

So far from the two episodes shown it seems Wanda could well be in the same kind of place where someone/group is trying to figure her out and what makes her tick to get her secrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think each episode is a tribute to old sitcom,s , eg the first is like a 60,s comedy, the 2nd is like a 70,s sitcom, , and its filmed in a certain style to match the old tv programs .its like a sitcom mixed with black mirror .eg wanda can use her powers to change reality .its something different, imagine if 2 superpowered characters from marvel tried to live
    a normal life in the suburbs as a married couple .its nice to see a marvel tv show with some humour in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,008 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Watched the first two episodes. Assume this is essentially one story split into 9 parts rather than 9 traditional episodes and taking it that way I can accept there being no progression in the first two.

Acceptable or not, I reckon the 9 episodes will need to be judged as a whole.

I did think there would be something more explained in episode two to give you something to latch on to for week 2, having got 1 and 2 together.

Interested to see where it goes because I believe the story is going to have an impact, and I'm willing to give marvel and Disney the benefit of the doubt having been a fan of all the movies and the mandalorian. If they feel a slow build will pay off, let's see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

was the beekeeper a reference to A.I.M?

latest?cb=20090316161324

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2: I thought the scene with the glass breaking was done well for the break-in of reality. That maybe sounded like Rhodes on the radio and at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Skerries wrote: »
    was the beekeeper a reference to A.I.M?

latest?cb=20090316161324

Dont think so, he had a SWORD logo on his back. As did the helicopter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Slydice wrote: »
    2: I thought the scene with the glass breaking was done well for the break-in of reality. That maybe sounded like Rhodes on the radio and at the end?

It was shield agent Jimmy Woo on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Dont think so, he had a SWORD logo on his back. As did the helicopter.

What if AIM infiltrated SWORD like Hydra did with SHIELD. Or what if this is a faction within SWORD that eventually become AIM with this being used to introduce them to MCU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,008 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What if AIM infiltrated SWORD like Hydra did with SHIELD. Or what if this is a faction within SWORD that eventually become AIM with this being used to introduce them to MCU

AIM was already in MCU, with Iron Man 3.

Advertisement