Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any 530e owners out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Finally does anyone know if youd be liable for the full VAT if its below 6,000kms at point of VRT what I've read is that VAT is applied in full regardless that its already paid elsewhere.

Correct. If the car is below 6k km and / or it is less than 6 months old, the full 23% VAT is applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I presume if it came to it I could buy one and ask the dealer to make sure there's more miles on it when I come to collect it?

Just bought a 530e Sport from Belfast. Mileage was under 6k so one of the Salesmen drove it home and back for a week to get it just over 6k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

unkel wrote: »
    Correct. If the car is below 6k km and / or it is less than 6 months old, the full 23% VAT is applied.

This is true, but equally as you are exporting the car the seller is obliged to sell it ex vat to you if meet the criteria of a new mode of transport. As such you get a 20% discount buying but pay Bat at 23% when you land it

• Registered Users Posts: 18 EVenthusiast

Casati wrote: »
    This is true, but equally as you are exporting the car the seller is obliged to sell it ex vat to you if meet the criteria of a new mode of transport. As such you get a 20% discount buying but pay Bat at 23% when you land it

Would have thought VAT numbers etc would be required for this. Might just be easier to get one >6 months and >6,000 kms so the Revenue dont put the rubber gloves on when I land it up!

Would have thought VAT numbers etc would be required for this. Might just be easier to get one >6 months and >6,000 kms so the Revenue dont put the rubber gloves on when I land it up!

You don’t need to be vat registered to do this but yes if you find one over six months / 6km it is going to be more straightforward for you. In fairness if you are flexible where you can go to buy it it seems like you have a lot of choice

• Advertisement

Sometimes it takes a few thousand km to drive the car over from the UK to here :pac:

So as further emphasis to my question the following is a comparison based on which "E G30 M SPORT 4DR AUTO" I choose on the Revenue dropdown menu - as there are two.

One would have thought that the car with the lower CO2 would have carried a lower VRT amount but as they probably sit in the same band this is probably not the case.

The assigned stat code and therefore accompanying OMSP appears to be the driver of the VRT rate.

So has anyone had experience of this? Is one with / without a rebate or is there any way to find out which one Revenue will pull up on the day? Or is it just a case of pot luck which is bizarre to be frank.

Stat Code 43087720 44287720
    OMSP €62,799 €52,348
    CO2 46 49
    VRT Rate 14% 14%
    Depreciation 38% 38%
    VRT €3,091 €2,202

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

as you are exporting the car the seller is obliged to sell it ex vat

No they are not. No dealer is obliged to sell any car to anyone. Many of the high end marques prohibit sales of new cars for export.
    I doubt Mercedes/Jaguar/BMW Ireland etc. are happy about nearly new cars coming in here at massive discounts from UK dealers, taking business from Irish dealers.

That said, phone around & you'll usually find a dealer who will oblige or, better again, wait for a 6mth/6,000km variant.

Pot luck. And yes that is bizarre. Be glad though that your car is actually on the list. I have planned to import cars in the past that were not on the list. I then requested a quote up front. They refused to do this. So how on earth can I decide to import a car if I have no idea how much the VRT will be and no official agency is prepared to tell me? :confused:

Pot luck. And yes that is bizarre. Be glad though that your car is actually on the list. I have planned to import cars in the past that were not on the list. I then requested a quote up front. They refused to do this. So how on earth can I decide to import a car if I have no idea how much the VRT will be and no official agency is prepared to tell me? :confused:

Agreed its absurd. The typical Irish mentality of "ah sure we'll figure it out later" without having any comprehension for the chap who has to buy something without actually knowing the final cost on it - until its too late to do anything than suck it up.

• Advertisement

It didn't turn out too badly for me though. I was thinking of buying an F10 BMW with minimum a 6 cylinder engine. There were none for sale in this country. Not a single one, all there was was 520d and the occasional 530d. Then I thought of importing one and the only ones for sale in the UK (a handful) were 550i and M5. The latter was outside of my budget and the former I could not get a quote on. I briefly looked into getting a large petrol saloon car from other executive makes (I hate diesel), but there was feck all there anywhere near my budget.

I gave up, upped my budget and bought a brand new EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I have stretched just over 600km out of a full tank. As I said though, I am doing more longer journeys than I would have expected or would typically do. I defo need to get a a charger installed at home though.

Most of my driving is on electric and I have managed to get 1900+ km out of a tank a couple of times. On a longer motorway run I can usually get about 700km from a tank.

ShaneOC wrote: »
    I have managed to get 1900+ km out of a tank a couple of times

2.3l/100km approx or 25+ recharges per 45L of petrol :eek:.

Surely full BEV territory with that usage pattern?

ShNJrCr.jpg?1

530e on a recent motorway run.

Battery didn't last too long :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Kramer wrote: »

530e on a recent motorway run.

Battery didn't last too long :D.
    How much further did you get from there

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭wcooba

ELM327 wrote: »
    How much further did you get from

Stalker :D

Anyway you got up to speed pretty quickly after crossing the border :)

How did you find 530e on the Autobahn? Did you drive far? What was the fuel consumption on long distances there?

I'm considering this as my next car for mostly city driving but also twice a year cross-continent "cruising". My current car (3.0TDI A7) is a brilliant vehicle for the latter but my conscience is not clear for driving it in the city...

No they are not. No dealer is obliged to sell any car to anyone. Many of the high end marques prohibit sales of new cars for export.
    I doubt Mercedes/Jaguar/BMW Ireland etc. are happy about nearly new cars coming in here at massive discounts from UK dealers, taking business from Irish dealers.

That said, phone around & you'll usually find a dealer who will oblige or, better again, wait for a 6mth/6,000km variant.

If they agree to sell you a new means of transport for export the rule are very clear that they must sell the car vat free. Form vat 411 to be filled out.

Of course you can’t force a dealer to sell you a car in any circumstances but the larger dealers will have in house vat experts that will know the law inside out. This assumes the Brits stay in the EU too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

2.3l/100km approx or 25+ recharges per 45L of petrol :eek:.

Surely full BEV territory with that usage pattern?

Need to drive the length of the country a few times a year so full BEV would not suit just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

ShaneOC wrote: »
    Need to drive the length of the country a few times a year so full BEV would not suit just yet.

It is reasonably economical on a motorway. Sits somewhere about 5.5l per 100km if driving conservatively.

Driving conservatively is the hard bit :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

You don’t need to be vat registered to do this but yes if you find one over six months / 6km it is going to be more straightforward for you. In fairness if you are flexible where you can go to buy it it seems like you have a lot of choice

Question - if its over 6mths / 6k kms, does that mean the dealer sells including 20% vat as opposed to selling excluding the 20% vat and then being charged 23% vat in ireland?

• Advertisement

Yes, once it's over 6 months and 6k km (its not an either or, it must be over both)

It is reasonably economical on a motorway. Sits somewhere about 5.5l per 100km if driving conservatively.

Driving conservatively is the hard bit :P[/quote

The more I hear about the latest PHEV’s the more I think they will win out over EV’s long term and are not just compliance cars. I know a Volvo T8 owner getting 3 l per 100km - Dublin suburb dweller with odd longer drive charging nightly and mostly running on electric, but with 400bhp when needed and a range of 800km if no charging is available or difficult to access eg on holidays/ driving abroad. Total fuel bills for the year with estimated 16km will be 600 quid. Who needs fully electric?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The more I hear about the latest PHEV’s the more I think they will win out over EV’s long term and are not just compliance cars. I know a Volvo T8 owner getting 3 l per 100km - Dublin suburb dweller with odd longer drive charging nightly and mostly running on electric, but with 400bhp when needed and a range of 800km if no charging is available or difficult to access eg on holidays/ driving abroad. Total fuel bills for the year with estimated 16km will be 600 quid. Who needs fully electric?

I dont think PHEV will win out, the BEV horse has already bolted with range approaching ICE figures. The issue is choice and availability and that will remain a problem for a few years where PHEV will take up the slack.

The next wave of PHEV's (and there's going to be alot of them) is much better giving better power and EV only range. Any PHEV giving a solid 50km+ EV range will cover alot of peoples daily driving.

The more I hear about the latest PHEV’s the more I think they will win out over EV’s long term

No they won't. You do realise that in just over 10 years time, the only cars allowed to be sold here are pure EVs? And 10 years can barely even be called long term...

You do realise that in just over 10 years time, the only cars allowed to be sold here are pure EVs? And 10 years can barely even be called long term...

Thats not law though, so not technically correct. It's just an aspiration of the current government. The chances of that becoming a reality is still very much unknown.

Personally I think EU emissions regulations is what will drive it, not our local laws, and the EU emission regulations for 2030 are already in law and it does not ban ICE.

No they won't. You do realise that in just over 10 years time, the only cars allowed to be sold here are pure EVs? And 10 years can barely even be called long term...

And you believe that govt sound bite is 100% true? I don’t.

The govt will bottle it

ELM327 wrote: »
    The govt will bottle it

Could do. It would need to be a very strong govt that will take Paddy's diesel car off him!

The reality is that come 2025 the government of the day will need to assess our progress towards the 2030 targets, impending fines, look at availability and price of BEV and then make a decision on what makes sense for 2030.

No point in banning ICE if BEV is not available in every showroom in every make and model required.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Soarer wrote: »
    I'd wager there's zero chance of either of ye having to pay extra.
    You've both already paid, and both cars are now legally registered.

You were correct. I ended up getting a sizeable refund. VRT charged ended up being EUR3,000.

• Advertisement

That's brilliant man! Even less than I had guessed. And a lot less than you were expecting!

Enjoy the car, but do drive it like a BMW :)

I miss not having owned a BMW for 3 years now...

Advertisement