Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Everything you always wanted to know about electric vehicle (but were afraid to ask)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Do you have to go to the main dealer when it breaks down

Depends on whether it’s an EV specific issue or a general car thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

KCross wrote: »
    Depends on whether it’s an EV specific issue or a general car thing.

Ev specific. Although many people might not know at the time

Sorry I should have been clearer.

Ev specific. Although many people might not know at the time

Sorry I should have been clearer.

If it’s EV specific like battery, motor, inverter, charging etc then it’s likely main dealer as very few mechanics would have the knowledge or diagnostics and parts to fix any of those... there are a few exceptions but not many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

If it’s EV specific like battery, motor, inverter, charging etc then it’s likely main dealer as very few mechanics would have the knowledge or diagnostics and parts to fix any of those... there are a few exceptions but not many.

Are these repairs common and are they more expensive than traditional petrol/diesel engine repairs?

Are these repairs common and are they more expensive than traditional petrol/diesel engine repairs?

They are rare but having said that its early days for EV's. The early ones are only out of warranty recently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    If I have a leaf that does 60km to a charge and my wife has a leaf that does 120km to a charge, will it cost exactly double to charge her car?

Compare battery size.
    I could a BMW M5 easy and get more miles to the tank than a 520d that’s been driving to the red line all day.

You need to compare battery sizes to
    Compare charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Gumbo wrote: »
    Compare battery size.
    I could a BMW M5 easy and get more miles to the tank than a 520d that’s been driving to the red line all day.

You need to compare battery sizes to
    Compare charges.

Are you sayin that for eg, 5 euro of electric can get you more Km on one car than another assuming identical driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Are you sayin that for eg, 5 euro of electric can get you more Km on one car than another assuming identical driving?

It depends on where you charge, eg. at home on a night rate you get a lot more for your money than at an Ionity charger.

Although petrol and diesel prices have dropped a bit since we made this video, it gives you a good idea of the savings that are possible:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes.
    Assume both cars are charged at home on night rate at 9c per kWh.

€5 gets you 55.5 kWh.
    If I fill my model s performance with that, and you fill your Kona with that, I would bet my life that your Kona would get more mileage based on performance etc

What’s the difference between the141 leaf and the142 leaf?

• Advertisement

In this video, Guillaume attempts to drive the Ring of Kerry in the new electric Renault Zoe ZE50 without charging along the route, and also while ignoring the risk of engine failure!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What’s the difference between the141 leaf and the142 leaf?

6 months?

NIMAN wrote: »
    6 months?

What I’m asking are all 142 the upgraded version and how can you tell?
    Can one tell from the log book?

What I’m asking are all 142 the upgraded version and how can you tell?
    Can one tell from the log book?

No difference between 141 and 142 in technology terms.

The changover happened around 131/132 where they introduced a new battery chemistry.

No difference between 141 and 142 in technology terms.

The changover happened around 131/132 where they introduced a new battery chemistry.

Thanks, how can you tell if your buying?

Thanks, how can you tell if your buying?

Tell what? The 141 and 142 are the same

The changover occurred when they started producing Leaf's in the UK(2013) and they all had an Eco button on the steering wheel. So, if you have an Eco button you have a UK built car and it has the newer battery chemistry but that will be all 141/142's anyway.

In the beginning of the video below, we cover a brief history of the Nissan Leaf and give you an overview of the different versions/trims and how to spot the differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

When looking at a Leaf do you want the 40kw or 62kw?

Gael23 wrote: »
    When looking at a Leaf do you want the 40kw or 62kw?

The bigger the battery the better, unless you never do long journeys.

• Advertisement

In this episode Guillaume is heading to France via Irish Ferries from Dublin to Cherbourg. He's running a bit late, so he considers skipping the Ballacolla supercharger, as he has booked a charge point on the ferry.

Guillaume also has a headwind, so his Tesla Model 3 Standard Range is telling him to reduce his speed and go through the Dublin Port Tunnel.

Going via the city centre may also be an option but before he gets to Dublin, he encounters an accident. Can you spot the other EV caught up in the tailback?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

How do electric cars handle floods?

With an ICE car you can go in so deep before doing damage. We've all been through flooded roads. With an electric car, can you go in as deep or not at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Nice cars. I like the idea of a basic car. But I think that is maybe a little too slow to be useful. Even in a city you might have to hop on a 80 road occasionally. Thanks for posting.

beauf wrote: »
    Nice cars. I like the idea of a basic car. But I think that is maybe a little too slow to be useful. Even in a city you might have to hop on a 80 road occasionally. Thanks for posting.

The Ami can be driven by 14-year-olds in France, so it's perhaps meant to be an alternative to scooters and bikes.

I totally accept that. Its a big step up in cost over a scooter though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Just saw an ad for a new Lexus hybrid "self-charging".

huh? I thought that was the entire point of hybrid cars, they are self charging... what kind of eejits do they take us for?!

Advertisement