Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Everything you always wanted to know about electric vehicle (but were afraid to ask)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Soarer wrote: »
    Afraid to ask elsewhere....

What’s the story with the reduced tolls for EV and PHEV?
    What is the reduction?
    Is it on every toll road, or just the M50?
    Do you need a tag, or just pay at the gate?
    What’s the cheapest tag to get for a non-frequent user?

It covers all tolls.
    You have to use a tag, not cash at the gate.
    EV's get a bigger discount than PHEV's.... its peak/off-peak dependent. EV's get upto 75% off at some times.
    https://bookings.parkmagic.net/inc/TandCUpdate2018/EVTI%20Scheme%20Rules%20R2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

The refund is paid the month after the toll fee is incurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

pjproby wrote: »
    The refund is paid the month after the toll fee is incurred.

That depends on who you buy the tag from. Some provide an instant refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

i'm with Eflow and they pay in arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I get an instant refund (tolltag.ie / parkmagic). Went through the M50 toll twice this evening. Cost me €0.58 each way :) 75% discount off peak

Almost all my toll use is socially, yet I saved €300 last year because I have an EV. Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

unkel wrote: »
    I get an instant refund (tolltag.ie / parkmagic). Went through the M50 toll twice this evening. Cost me €0.58 each way :) 75% discount off peak

Almost all my toll use is socially, yet I saved €300 last year because I have an EV. Nice.

Registered with tolltag.ie earlier this evening.
    Good to know the refunds are quick.
    Not a huge toll user, but the PHEV discount covers the 10% charge, so it’ll save me looking for cash at the gates!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Charging at Ionity Cashel using the EinfachStromLaden app from Maingau for €0.40 per kWh

In this episode of Meet the Owners, we talk to Annette, who owns a 40 kWh Nissan Leaf, and is also a Climate Ambassador for An Taisce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sabre Man wrote: »

For those on mobiles this is a link to cars and coffee on Dublin on the 8th March.

A follow-up to our Ioniq review: Hyundai Ioniq drive modes

Everything you need to know about the infotainment system in the new Renault Zoe (probably)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

What y'all find is the best chargepoint app for smartphones?

What y'all find is the best chargepoint app for smartphones?

Probably Plugshare or Zap Map.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

Basically is there a best/ cheapest way to charge on the public network? Is the ESB PAYG card the only way of charging publicly or is there another that will do it cheaper? Is there a card you can use with all chargers?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

moggins7 wrote: »
    Basically is there a best/ cheapest way to charge on the public network? Is the ESB PAYG card the only way of charging publicly or is there another that will do it cheaper? Is there a card you can use with all chargers?

eCars
    EasyGO
    Ionity

No ‘one’ card that does them all. Similar to the UK.

ESB slow/standard charge points are free, and the same goes for many EasyGo chargers, typically found at supermarkets. I've noticed new chargers at several Lidl stores.

So if you have the time you can still charge for free.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

moggins7 wrote: »

I will charge infrequently on the public network, so it makes sense for me to have an eCars PAYG account. It means if I use their DC ‘fast’ chargers, I pay €0.33 per kWh. If however I had a subscription account, I’d only pay €0.29 per kWh, however with this account type there is a €5 per month service charge. I would only expect to use eCars fast charging if making any long trips out of Dublin and back on routes that aren’t served by Tesla Superchargers.

Then you have the eCars AC chargers, which are (currently) still free to use. I’ve used 3 of these in the last week, and for an hour charging on these, I can get 11kWh which would give me about 60km of range in my Tesla Model 3. So the AC network are nice to use as a destination charger, but wouldn’t be suitable for long journeys unless you have one available at your final destination (I’d need about 4.5 hours to fully charge my M3 from empty on AC, so not exactly terrible either)

For example I live in North Dublin, and last week we drove down to Bray and charged for free on AC for about an hour, this hour of charging effectively gave us a free trip home from Bray (we arrived in Bray in about 65%, charged to about 80% and got back home on about 65% again).
    Then the following day, we left the house at 80% and drove up to Bettystown, charged for an hour, and returned home with something like 85%

I opened my eCars PAYG account with €20 credit in it, and still have the full €20 as I’ve only used their free AC chargers so far and I’d rarely expect to use a DC fast charging station, but I know it’s there for an emergency, or for a long journey etc...

The only 2 apps I’ve used so far is ESB eCars and PlugShare (plugshare is great for giving details on the various charging stations like if you have to pay for the parking space at a charger, who runs the charger, as well as showing user uploaded photos/reviews of said charger).
    I’ve also signed up to EasyGO and have their app, just in case I’d ever be stuck near a Lidl with a charger (I believe these are free to use, but you still need to be registered with easygo to use them).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

^^^^^

I’m the same. Very very rarely need public chargepoints but I do have an eCars account with my €20 in it for that one time I might need it.

I also have an easygo account. The Lidl in Cabra has 2 22.1kw chargers which are free.

The T&C’s state for users of Lidl with a max stay of 2 hours.

last week we drove down to Bray and charged for free on AC for about an hour

I don't know why you bothered tbh. You had to get your cable out of your car, hook it up to your car and the access point, use your card. Check the car was charging. And when you came back you had to stop the charge, take out your cable out of the car and out of the charging point and put it back into your car. A lot of hassle for the saving of about €0.88...

unkel wrote: »
    I don't know why you bothered tbh. You had to get your cable out of your car, hook it up to your car and the access point, use your card. Check the car was charging. And when you came back you had to stop the charge, take out your cable out of the car and out of the charging point and put it back into your car. A lot of hassle for the saving of about €0.88...

It was the 1st time we (ever) did it, so wanted to make sure we could actually do it... practice makes perfect for when we need to do it!!

It was more so out of curiosity rather than necessity. And all of the above took about 3-4 minutes in total!!

Also, checking the car is charging is simply just seeing the light flashing green where you plug it in!!

Aye and indeed the charge points in Bray are rarely ICE'd, so they make a good parking space. I like the ones closest to the cliff walk start, to take the dog up for a good walk, but I usually stay there a good bit longer than an hour :D

We were just out for a random drive that day, and somehow ended up in Bray, and as we were coming into the town, decided to give public charging a try.

Literally all we did was led the little lad throw stones into the sea for an hour.

We’d rather do public charging the first few times through curiosity rather than necessity. Might be heading up north tomorrow so might give Supercharging a go, despite having the range to get up and back if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

@Sabre man

How about doing a video on the needtocharge app?

• Advertisement

Advertisement