Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric, Hydrogen & Hybrid Electric Buses in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

So they do, my bad your right, forgot they had the Volvo engines.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

EA31 & 34 at Broadstone. ©Adrian Lemon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

As does pretty much everything double deck with DB/GAI from the RAs right up until SGs. Only exceptions being the DTs. First time in years we're starting to see a bit of diversity in the fleet in terms of manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭halfpastneverr

There are 3 or 4 what look like electroliers parked up in the Hino yard on Naas Road. More seem to be appearing every few days.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Word going around on Facebook and Tapatalk that EW39 & EW42 were out on driver training runs around Dublin today, with more to be done over the following weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

EW58 fully electric out on trial this morning.© Jonathan McDonnell.

nathan McDonnell..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭zell12

100 electric double-decker buses and 34 electric single deck buses were ordered by the NTA in June 2022. No charging infrastructure had been installed prior to purchase and is not expected till late 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AX636

This is from the unions,

The EW bus, electric double decker is to enter service from end of July from Summerhill and September for Phibsboro

• Registered Users Posts: 33,805 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Madness. You can keep a diesel bus in storage without issue but batteries start degrading the day they're made. The effect should be small enough if maintained at a suitable charge level, but still.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you keep a battery at 50% charge it will be good for years. You only have issues if you keep it at 100% charge. Also charging and discharging constantly has more impact then just storing at 50%

Also keeping Diesel engine busses in storage can have negative impacts too, they have to be properly stored and maintained or you will run into issues.

“No charging infrastructure had been installed prior to purchase and is not expected till late 2023”

Not to defend how long it has taken to get these busses into service, but I’m certain if they had built the charging infrastructure ahead of ordering the buses, then we would all be reading articles about how they installed chargers with no buses.

That would've been the logical thing and I thought it was the original plan with the PAs until they decided to cancel the rest of the order and go with electric buses instead. Why not just continue ordering the PAs until the installation of charging facilities is complete.

Now we have a situation where the AXs and EVs which are on their last legs and must be costing more to keep on the road then their even worth have no imminent replacement in sight.

The NTA were probably over ambitious ordering electric buses when they could have just continued with PAs. That may be overly simplistic but that what it looks like to an outsider. I have heard there have been issues with the PAs internally in DB but not sure if it was just the usual drivers complaining about them or actual mechanical problems.

The rest of the PA/PAD order was cancelled for a reason, there have been a lot of problems with them and compared to SG type buses they have been spending double the amount of time off the road.

The drivers don't like them either, if a driver complains about a bus he/she needs to be listened to, after all they are the ones who spend all day in the things. One of the problems I believe was the air brake or the position of it been slightly behind the driver.

Time will tell how the EA class will perform but I can see wrights getting all double and single deck orders again in the future.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Apologies I wasn't having a go at drivers. I just remember on here when the SGs were new a lot of drivers were complaining about and how the AVs were better and how the RVs were the best buses ever built from a drivers POV.

Remember volvo will be in the game next time as they do there own stuff now.

Good the Volvo buses are much better than the Wrightbus and ADL junk. The VHs are the best out of the AH and WH. Not sure why they didn't go with the VH over the PA.

Yes, you are right. I had completley forgot about this. Would love to see the BZL electrics over the wrightbus products around the streets od Ireland.

Dublin bus and Bus Eireann already have a fantastic relationship with Volvo so the BZL products would make complete sense over any product for future orders.

They are one fantastic looking bus.

Its a disgrace Joe!

We could go all out and get 3 door versions on both single and double decks, speed things up a bit. Would probably make too much sense thought.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

Do we not have few enough seats downstairs these days? Whatever about on a decker but 3 doors on a single deck that size is complete overkill.

• Advertisement

I think the plan was to go with the VH but wrightbus went bust at the time

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well 3 door single deckers work all across mainland Europe just fine. After all a lot of people stand on the LUAS and DART every day.

It would certainly make sense for the O route, given the relatively short diastase’s people will likely be travelling on it.

This 100%, people have no problem standing on the Dart and Luas so why not on a bus for short journeys. The extra door would reduce your average bus journey overall.

Post edited by d51984 on

Its a disgrace Joe!

To the best of my knowledge the contract was signed before wrights went bust but they were probably struggling at the time alright

The EAs have a lot of standing room. The bendys for the BRT up in Belfast seem to be a success could be BRT be an option for Galway and Limerick in absence of a Luas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The BZL double and single deckers have already been rolled into service in Cambridge & Edinburgh in the UK. These buses would be perfect for Dublin and maybe other Irish cities as well. The major difference in Cambridge so far is that they have a single pair of doors at the front of their buses with no middle doors.

That's the norm in the UK with the exception of London

Which is pretty poor carry on. Meanwhile in mainland Europe even in small towns, buses will have at least two days if not three.

I’ve said it before, I get why we look to the UK given our history, but outside of London, they really are way behind public transport and urban planning best practices. We would be much better off look to the likes of Amsterdam and Copenhagen for inspiration.

It is pretty poor but it suits the private but publicly backed operators like Stagecoach, First Group, Go-Ahead, Arriva etc. to buy buses that way. At the end of the day it reduces fare evasion and more importantly it reduces claims which means more money for shareholders while passengers and drivers suffer.

Manchester is getting it's own London style network soon which will mean integrated ticketing and a common livery. Still with single door buses though but I guess it's a start. Think Liverpool is doing something similar too.

The other thing is that double decker buses probably make more sense here as those 3 door buses you see on the continent are not ordered in the UK therefore not readily available in RHD. I believe the DAA/Aircoach have had great difficulty sourcing electric bendybuses in RHD for carpark work since bendybuses have fallen out of favour over in the UK and hence are no longer being produced in RHD.

• Advertisement

"It is pretty poor but it suits the private but publicly backed operators like Stagecoach, First Group, Go-Ahead, Arriva etc. to buy buses that way. At the end of the day it reduces fare evasion and more importantly it reduces claims which means more money for shareholders while passengers and drivers suffer."

If the service is PSO, then the operators shouldn't be getting a choice in the matter, like Go-Ahead and DB don't here. The regulators should be putting out tenders with the spec of the type of service they want operated. But it is an example of the type of thing we shouldn't be copying here.

"The other thing is that double decker buses probably make more sense here as those 3 door buses you see on the continent are not ordered in the UK therefore not readily available in RHD. I believe the DAA/Aircoach have had great difficulty sourcing electric bendybuses in RHD for carpark work since bendybuses have fallen out of favour over in the UK and hence are no longer being produced in RHD."

I think the issue with DAA is more that the EV part, then the bendy bus part. If they were looking for a simple Diesel bendy, they could probably get ones, but EV variants are more unique and rare. Like how EV triaxles are rare. I suspect it will be sorted in time.

Belfast has mutli door bendy buses (Diesel) from Vanhool, so it is definitely possible.

But I do take your point and agree. It is definitely harder for us to get European type buses due to being RHD and the market being dominated by whatever the UK decides to do. It probably is possible to get unique RHD buses like the Belfast bendy's, but you are probably tlaking about special custom orders and thus higher costs and time lines then a basic single/double deckers.

Glad to hear things improving in Manchester and Liverpool.

Advertisement