Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

Give it a go CL! I was very very fit and active playing a high enough level of sport, within 4 years I couldn't jog and thats when I did the minute on minute off thing. Plus you know you can do it, you have done a marathon!!! I have trained twice for one and got injured each time. The same injury that I gave up rugby with and had the surgeries for so I can't mess with it. My training pal is doing what should have been our first at the end of Jan.

The grub in the house is a killer. In saying that diet is always my weakness not training. I just ate two lunches, a big portion of chicken then the portion of beef I was meant to keep for tomorrows lunch...No rice or anything with them but still not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I get up at 5.45am but between getting myself ready, the kids ready for school, lunches sorted etc & having to be out of the house by 7.10 to catch the train I have no time for morning exercise at all, that all stopped when the kids came along.

I managed to get 1n hour in on the bike last night, 400 cals & 25k covered & i was sweating buckets & managed some light weight routines afterwards but had such an urge to get stuck into a tube of pringles or bag of doritos that i ended up giving in & having some paprika pringles... i felt so downhearted after... I put it down to the first day back in work blues.

Tonight though herself is off to SW so I'll get the kids to bed & do at least 30k on the bike with no goodies after... need to get back in the zone big time!! Have to start drinking lots more water too, I used to be great for that but have let that slide.

I agree with Jude, the diet for me is the killer. I'm used to training as other than a year or so after retiring from competetive sport I've been training most of my life, my issue is I love my grub & the obese man inside of me could easily win out if I didnt beat him down repeatedly! Once I gte my head back in the zone I'll be fine but seeing all the food left over from christmas at home is making it a harder process than it should be.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm in the same boat DVB and Jude... diet is the killer... Monday-Friday I can stay on track easily enough, it's the weekend is the killer...

I'm definitely a snacker and love snacking when relaxing on the weekend.

Ditto, salty food....drool. I also have a half flat freezing cold large bottle of full fat coke in the fridge staring at me. I should really dump it. It was left behind by someone who was at our house over Christmas.

I am so lucky I don't live in Ireland, chipper chips...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jude13 wrote: »
    Ditto, salty food....drool. I also have a half flat freezing cold large bottle of full fat coke in the fridge staring at me. I should really dump it. It was left behind by someone who was at our house over Christmas.

Literally the only thing I even crave from a chipper is chips, they're amazing!

I'm definitely more a sweet tooth than a savory, however over the Christmas I absolutely was craving more savory than sweets.

And since I started eating good again I'm not craving crisps or the like, I am craving a bit for chocolate tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Boil a ham in it. I usually chuck a ham in the slow cooker with any leftover full fat coke from a party. Works in a pan too.

Ham is pretty scarce over here and crazy espensive. Now if you said throw in some rum, a lime wedge and ice...stop it.

Anyway back to the gym tomorrow morning for week 2; chest and tris with 3 7 minute HIT circuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Back from my walk/jog. Walked the loop around our house which isn't very far & then went into the football pitch & ran around that once, then jogged home. Had to stop once or twice but made it. Feeling much better for it too :D Will try to do it again on Thursday

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Back from my walk/jog. Walked the loop around our house which isn't very far & then went into the football pitch & ran around that once, then jogged home. Had to stop once or twice but made it. Feeling much better for it too :D Will try to do it again on Thursday

Well done! :)

The hardest part is just getting out, the actually doing it isn't the worst, I bet you feel great after it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Just been to visit a local (to work) gym, was very impressed so I think I'll commit to the fees for a while. I injured my back really badly 2 months ago, i still have a lot of pain so i need to be sensible and rehab it properly. I actually am ok with my body as it is - I'm fat, but that's ok tbh - but I hate hate HATE that I stopped going to the gym and lifting weights etc. I don't think I'm going to do much with diet (except keep doing my best to make sensible choices) but I really need to get more active. Working at a desk job then spending most of my spare time trying to study and do college work is wreaking havoc on my body. It's why my back got so messed up.

• Advertisement

Fair play B&C! Go easy on your back though!

Yeah Loughc, I'm delighted with myself. I put on a podcast & didn't notice the time going. Not that I was out for very long - if it was even 30 mins, I'd be doing well.

Fair play B&C! Go easy on your back though!

Yeah Loughc, I'm delighted with myself. I put on a podcast & didn't notice the time going. Not that I was out for very long - if it was even 30 mins, I'd be doing well.

Hey even it was only 20 mins, it's still better than 20 mins on the couch, every little helps, well that's what I tell myself anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

You know I didn’t realize how little I move during the day until I had to set a timer to get up from my desk every 30 mins under the orders of my physio. It felt like I was up and down like billio. Scary how sedentary I’ve become.

You know I didn’t realize how little I move during the day until I had to set a timer to get up from my desk every 30 mins under the orders of my physio. It felt like I was up and down like billio. Scary how sedentary I’ve become.

My Fitbit is great for this, it buzzes every hour to remind you to get moving and it shows on your reports your longest Sedentary moment for the day. Which especially on busy working days could be shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I can’t remember the last time I weighed myself!

Told myself come Monday I will walk to work and home, didn’t happen - couldn’t get out of the bed! Ah well there is alway tomorrow

If we are sharing recipes do they go in this thread or is it better to set up a new thread so that they don’t get lost in the chat?

kitten_k wrote: »
    If we are sharing recipes do they go in this thread or is it better to set up a new thread so that they don’t get lost in the chat?

I think share recipes here for now and if we get loads I'll move to a new thread :)

This is a lovely bread made from porridge oats

469897.jpeg

Loughc wrote: »
    My Fitbit is great for this, it buzzes every hour to remind you to get moving and it shows on your reports your longest Sedentary moment for the day. Which especially on busy working days could be shocking!

Mine does this too, has caught me out in meetings a few times :D happens at my desk regularly & is a reminder as to how little you can move when office based & busy staring at a monitor all day.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

B&C look after that back, not something I would mess with.

CheerL nice work elfo!!

Had date night last night and yesterday was my rest day, it wasn't meant to be my cheat day but we went out for an Indian and have left overs for dinner tonight so I had to curb my carb intake all yesterday.

Got to the gym this morning, drop the cardio HIT as I just don't have time for it before work, so just weights, so I will need run tonight.

As DvB was saying my plan will all change when the new baby arrives. I am planning to do the first feed, hit the gym and then work. We shall see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

One week healthy eating on slimming world today. Delighted with myself, motivation is high and no matter what the scales says tomorrow I’m in thus for the long haul. I’m a day late weighing in as my group time just didn’t work with the kids bedtime

Weigh day for me! Not expecting amazing results as I had a few slips in the week! But will still go and aim for better next week! Threw the last of the Quality Street in the bin last night as they were only the orange & strawberry ones left that no one likes & no point in holding on to them as I'd only eat them in a moment of desperation while commenting that I hate them :o

Can feel my legs a little sore from my jog yesterday but a good sore!

I was going to shout 'heresy!' at the binning of the quality street but there are the manky ones.

I really want some chocolate right now. Not like me to crave it. Specifically a chocolate Santy. I used to get a chocolate Santy and chocolate coins every year from my folks, including in to adulthood.

Dropped hints to the other half but none this year.

Threw the last of the Quality Street in the bin last night as they were only the orange & strawberry ones left that no one likes & no point in holding on to them as I'd only eat them in a moment of desperation while commenting that I hate them :o

Can feel my legs a little sore from my jog yesterday but a good sore!

I love the strawberry and orange ones. You could have thrown them into my mouth :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Loughc wrote: »
    I love the strawberry and orange ones. You could have thrown them into my mouth :pac:

Me too, they are the first gone in my house!

Animals the lot of you. Give me the blue coconut ones and I'll be happy.

Anyway the plan is to go for a small jog tonight. I have been told to bring the mutt which will mean it will be short. She loves to bark at other dogs whilst out. I have a waist leash which is handy but its trying to stop her being a sledge dog and pulling me down the road thats the problem

Weirdos, the lot of you, everyone knows it's the toffee ones :P Although the blue coconut ones are tolerable!

I just had ryvitas for lunch. Utterly rotten - like eating cardboard. Most disappointing

Animals the lot of you. Give me the blue coconut ones and I'll be happy.

Those are the ones we bin every year without fail!

Coconut, toffee & fudge all the way in our house.... orange is tolerable, strawberry = yuck! Though heself ate them when the rest were gone.
    She pointed out (before bringing the remaining goodies into her workplace) that we as a family of 4 went through 4 of the plastic tubs of QS before we finished up work/school for christmas... I think that clearly indicates we are in fact pigs for the QS :)

Will do the same next year no matter what attempt at prevention is deployed too :D

• Advertisement

Your wife sounds like my type of gal, DvB - don't let chocolate go to waste, even the horrid ones! I went thru the tub of QS pretty much on my own as I do every year. Mr. CL doesn't like chocolate (weirdo) & had about two out of it. Every year, he says "are you going to eat them all by yourself" and every year, my proud response is "yep" :pac::o:P

Advertisement