Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan rail

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    As always, I ask why restoration of passenger services on the existing line via Drogheda (used daily by freight trains) isn’t an option?

CIE/IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,023 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Del.Monte wrote: »
    CIE/IE.

But why? The preference is to go from the M3 Parkway out to Navan but there is clearly no appetite to deliver the funds for such as large infrastructure project. Surely restoration of passenger services on the existing line would be far cheaper, hence far easier to get investment for, and maybe could get some improvements on the Northern line between Connolly and Drogheda added in as part of the project. What the feck am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

The train via Drogheda should be feasible by altering existing Drogheda-Dublin services to start from Navan with a new platform in Drogheda to pick up passengers.

However, the journey time wouldn't be great. Drogheda-Connolly takes about an hour and you could add, say 20 mins, to that to a journey from Navan.

Seanmk1 wrote: »
    The train via Drogheda should be feasible by altering existing Drogheda-Dublin services to start from Navan with a new platform in Drogheda to pick up passengers.

However, the journey time wouldn't be great. Drogheda-Connolly takes about an hour and you could add, say 20 mins, to that to a journey from Navan.

Timed to connect with the Enterprise quite good times could be achieved, but that would depend on max speeds on the revamped branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

Timed to connect with the Enterprise quite good times could be achieved, but that would depend on max speeds on the revamped branch.

Has Naval branch been relaid recently? It looks like it's in great condition.

• Advertisement

I can't tell you whether it's been relaid recently as I haven't travelled over it since 1990 - probably before some posters here were born. :D

CC.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I can't tell you whether it's been relaid recently as I haven't travelled over it since 1990 - probably before some posters here were born. :D

CC.jpg

The NIR Pacer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    As always, I ask why restoration of passenger services on the existing line via Drogheda (used daily by freight trains) isn’t an option?

Currently the Navan branch is limited to 25mph, so far as I know.

I would like to see a 60mph limit achieved, with regular services, initially to Drogheda, where a short platform could be built on the branch, with transfer to mainline trains.

Ideally, in the longer term, a through service to Dublin, stopping at Balbriggan, Skerries and possibly Malahide, on an hourly basis, combined with a similar hourly service to to / from Dundalk, would be what is needed to recover passengers to the railway.

No rational person would choose to travel from Drogheda to the city in a train stopping at every halt, when there are buses running on the motorway at competitive fares.

Give the public a good service and they will use it.

However, Navan people would probably not use it to get to the city, 49 miles by rail compared to 30 miles or so by motorway is not great. I do believe that Navan and Drogheda are big enough to support a rail service between the two towns, and for Navan to Balbriggan or Skerries, would be very handy also.

CC.jpg

I take it that this is at one of the intermediate halts between Navan and Kingscourt, but which one?

Kilmainham Wood. The former CCE of CIE, the late Pat Jennings also travelled and can be seen with his grandchildren on the platform in the foreground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

CC.jpg

where did you come across the photo?

where did you come across the photo?

You would need to ask Judgement Day. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73312487&postcount=6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Evil-1 wrote: »
    And that right there is not just the heart of the issue, but its also the perfect problem for a rail service to fix, a lot of that traffic would use a rail service if it were available.

Does anyone know, why it is, that none of the various rail services to and/or from Dublin, operate throughout the night?

It's an advantage that the various bus services have, over the rail services, for example to and from Dublin and Navan and Kells on the Bus Éireann 109A, from Cork to Dublin with Aircoach, to and from Dublin and Belfast on the Bus Éireann Translink Ulster Bus and Aircoach services, from Galway to Dublin with the City Link and Go Bus services, and from Limerick to Dublin with JJ Kavanagh's and Dublin Coach.

Many of the bus services, even if they don't operate particular services to and from Dublin throughout the night, operate a later service from Dublin, or a later service to Dublin, than the last train services to and from the same area, for example to and from Dublin to Limerick with Dublin Coach and JJ Kavanagh's.

I can never understand how the dismantling of the rail lines 50-60-70 years ago, throughout the country, was thought to be a good idea, but I wonder, if there is ever to be a rail line, to and from Navan and Dublin, again, how frequent would it be, throughout the day, and would its last service from Dublin be around 11.30pm, around the same time as the last rail services to places like Dundalk.

If a rail service, to and from Navan and Dublin, is ever to be reintroduced, how frequently would it be scheduled, to and from Dublin,

How frequently would it be scheduled, in comparison to the recently introduced NX Bus Éireann service, which is scheduled every 20 minutes to and from Navan and Dublin? Even before the new NX service, the Bus Éireann services to and from Navan and Dublin, were scheduled every 30 minutes.

A train service to and from Navan and Dublin, would need to be frequent enough, throughout the day, to make it a convenient option.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rail_transport_in_Ireland#/media/File:Ireland%27s_Rail_Network_1925-75.gif

Does anyone know, why it is, that none of the various rail services to and/or from Dublin, operate throughout the night?
    ]

There would not be sufficient numbers to justify a train. buses are cheaper to operate for smaller numbers.

Furthermore, maintenance takes place at night on railways.
    This is especially so since frequent services have operated throughout the daytime. In the old days, outside the Dublin area there would be a number of hours in the middle of the day for track work, but not now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

An old thread, I know, but I thought it better to put it here than start a new thread on it.

Minister Ross has confirmed that the feasibility on the Navan line has been moved forward to late 2020, finishing in 2021. If an extension to Navan doesn't pass muster in the climate emergency era, then there's no hope for any other marginal line really.

See the Meath Chronicle here.
    Responding to a question from the Meath Chronicle, Minister Ross said he was aware that the National Transport Authority had briefed Meath County Council just last week on the matter where they indicated that a review would begin in late 2020 and be completed by mid 2021 as part of the National Transport Strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Yeah, saw the article in the Chronicle, what criteria will they use to determine viability so we can ensure they give it proper consideration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Yeah, saw the article in the Chronicle, what criteria will they use to determine viability so we can ensure they give it proper consideration?

It will have to jump over the fuggin’ moon before Finance and the Doherty and Nesbitt School of Economics give permission for Official Ireland to even give it consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It will have to jump over the fuggin’ moon before Finance and the Doherty and Nesbitt School of Economics give permission for Official Ireland to even give it consideration.

Can always be in the consideration stage in the pre-GE period.

FG are gonna need something to salvage themselves.

I'll be expecting a lot of crazy promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Where will trains go when they get to the city? Chronic under investment and neglect for decades has limited capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

cgcsb wrote: »
    Where will trains go when they get to the city? Chronic under investment and neglect for decades has limited capacity.

Do they still own the land beside docklands station?
    It's close enough to both the Sligo and Northern lines that it could be connected with fairly minor rejigging.

Maybe I'm being a bit naive here but if they wanted to reduce demand on Connolly couldn't they just build a proper station at dockland and have it serve as terminus. It wouldn't solve some of the problems, but it should stop Connolly itself being a bottle-neck.

It could even have offices built on top as has been done elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Do they still own the land beside docklands station?
    It's close enough to both the Sligo and Northern lines that it could be connected with fairly minor rejigging.

Maybe I'm being a bit naive here but if they wanted to reduce demand on Connolly couldn't they just build a proper station at dockland and have it serve as terminus. It wouldn't solve some of the problems, but it should stop Connolly itself being a bottle-neck.

It could even have offices built on top as has been done elsewhere.

There's a question mark over the future of the current Docklands station, as the passenger numbers there haven't been what they expected at all. Hardly surprising, to be all that honest, what with it being relatively out of the way and close to some unsavoury locations.

They're currently deciding on if they should move it, with the new location being down beside park lane, where the Europcar place is. In my mind, that'd be a great place, but they should also keep the current docklands station as well, it'd be handy to have in the future.

I'm beginning to think that we will not see the station relocated to europcar. CIE have taken on their own designers for the dart expansion plan, under the dead hand of CIE management means little will materialise from this, eventually a consultant will be taken on and at that stage the budget will only get us the hybrid trains and a few closed level crossings Also with the UK now in recession there'll be talk of recession here soon enough so we cam forget the cap ex budget for public transport being close to what has been promised. We seen the liffey cycle route publicly canned this weekend due to budget constraints and it looks bad for metrolink. A paired back bus connects, 10 minute darts, 24 hr buses, luas bxd, some closed level crossongs and hybrid trains will probably be the extent of pt improvements during this economic cycle. And actually thats not half bad compared to the previous economic boom. Almost a century behind the capitald of Europe though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

CatInABox wrote: »
    There's a question mark over the future of the current Docklands station, as the passenger numbers there haven't been what they expected at all. Hardly surprising, to be all that honest, what with it being relatively out of the way and close to some unsavoury locations.

They're currently deciding on if they should move it, with the new location being down beside park lane, where the Europcar place is. In my mind, that'd be a great place, but they should also keep the current docklands station as well, it'd be handy to have in the future.

The peak time services are completely rammed in the peak direction. Were they expecting people to hang off the outsides?

I'm beginning to think that we will not see the station relocated to europcar. CIE have taken on their own designers for the dart expansion plan, under the dead hand of CIE management means little will materialise from this, eventually a consultant will be taken on and at that stage the budget will only get us the hybrid trains and a few closed level crossings Also with the UK now in recession there'll be talk of recession here soon enough so we cam forget the cap ex budget for public transport being close to what has been promised. We seen the liffey cycle route publicly canned this weekend due to budget constraints and it looks bad for metrolink. A paired back bus connects, 10 minute darts, 24 hr buses, luas bxd, some closed level crossongs and hybrid trains will probably be the extent of pt improvements during this economic cycle. And actually thats not half bad compared to the previous economic boom. Almost a century behind the capitald of Europe though

Last boom gave us the original two Luas lines, double tracking of Clonsilla-Maynooth, and M3/Pace extension. Just off the top of my head.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Last boom gave us the original two Luas lines, double tracking of Clonsilla-Maynooth, and M3/Pace extension. Just off the top of my head.

Four tracking of the Kildare line also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Other issues too such as people outside Navan claimed trackline as their property yrs ago.

Zebra3 wrote: »

It also gave us one of the world's most extensive motorway networks per head. This boom and bust will naturally be smaller in scale though

It also gave us one of the world's most extensive motorway networks per head. This boom and bust will naturally be smaller in scale though

Famous last words... :pac:

CatInABox wrote: »

Docklands trains are packed to the gills. When the the four high rise blocks are finished it'll be like getting a train in Mumbai

• Advertisement

In all seriousness we need to get the most from this review as it is over 10 year's since the last one. Anyone know what we need to do to sway thinking and the Meath public on board?

Advertisement