Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,069 ✭✭✭✭KCross

slave1 wrote: »
    I've been following that sale for a while, this is the first time he has budged on price, he took it down off Autotrader last week so I thought it was sold.
    In any case it's overpriced, there's a nicer colour (subjective) grey with an asking of £10.8k, same model, pretty much the same mileage and with Nissan Cared 4 warranty and coverage although it does not have two cables (I phoned).
    He can't sell at that price when dealer cheaper (ignoring the cable) with warranty comeback, free servicing for two years etc.
    He needs to drop to £10k minimum and then would be doing well.

The warranty, to you, is the same really as its the manufacturers warranty you will be falling back on and both still have that.

I'd agree though, he needs to be cheaper than a dealer. The extra cable is worth a few hundred. Have you tried a PM to the speakev guy and point out the autotrader example. He has it for sale quite a while now so he needs to get real.

Which cable is the autotrader one missing? It should have both by default, so they must have sold it to someone else!
    Is the autotrader one a 151 or a 152?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The warranty, to you, is the same really as its the manufacturers warranty you will be falling back on and both still have that.
    True, good point, although not valid for me there is also extra breakdown cover and free servicing priced into the dealer offer

I'd agree though, he needs to be cheaper than a dealer. The extra cable is worth a few hundred. Have you tried a PM to the speakev guy and point out the autotrader example. He has it for sale quite a while now so he needs to get real.
    I'm not going for it, I'd rather deal with a main/reputable dealer when importing so no point in me communicating with him, I have another thread where I'll hopefully be posting to in the coming months on cars I'm interested in

Which cable is the autotrader one missing? It should have both by default, so they must have sold it to someone else!
    Is the autotrader one a 151 or a 152?
    Don't know, he just said there's one cable, other one probably sold with another vehicle, I can't tell if it's a 151 or 152 as the plates are removed in the photos

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Nice 2016 30kWh Acenta (I checked and it is the 30kWh version), 3,900miles and Nissan dealer with Nissan Cared4 (free 2year servicing if you're close to the border), unfortunately for me it's black and I don't want to keep a black car, £13,995 asking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Some Nissan branches here are offering an additional 1,000 off for the 24kWh Nissan leaf, so the net cash price difference between the basic 24kWh and the basic 30kWh is now €4k.

So would welcome some pros and cons of spending/not spending the €4k.

The obvious one is the greater range, but are their others?
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

but are their others?

The drivetrain warranty on the 30kWh is 8 years / 160,000km vs 5 years / 100,000km on the 24kWh.

Though the 24kWh has:
    Better behavior with multiple rapid charges in a single journey
    More evidence of long term longevity than the 30kWh

It depends on what meets your needs.

• Advertisement

Apparently the 30kWh will also reach the 80% charge at the same 30minute from a public rapid charge station too.

Re the comment on 24kWh having better evidence of long term longevity, well in fairness the 30kWh is simply not on the market long enough to prove itself.

Is there anything to suggest long term issues?
    Surely the extended warranty (8 years versus 5 years) provides a degree of assurance.

I'm now pretty much decided on the 30kWh version given they are popping up now in the Acenta class at the £14k mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

slave1 wrote:
    Re the comment on 24kWh having better evidence of long term longevity, well in fairness the 30kWh is simply not on the market long enough to prove itself.

Exactly.
    slave1 wrote:

Nope

Apparently the 30kWh will also reach the 80% charge at the same 30minute from a public rapid charge station too.

Surely the extended warranty (8 years versus 5 years) provides a degree of assurance.

I'm now pretty much decided on the 30kWh version given they are popping up now in the Acenta class at the £14k mark.

Is this new or S/H
    Thanks

Used, seen three at the £14k mark in the UK the last week or so

Used, seen three at the £14k mark in the UK the last week or so

Thanks.
    Have you done the math on the final delivered cost in here?
    What will the home charging unit cost?
    What about warranty on battery and the rest of the car?
    Am taking one for a test drive next week.

• Advertisement

Have you done the math on the final delivered cost in here?
    Just add €350+VAT for delivery to your door, loads of guys doing it up and down the country.
    Use a FX house to get the best sterling rate, e.g. ukforex.co.uk

What will the home charging unit cost?
    Depends, £350-£400'ish plus installation

What about warranty on battery and the rest of the car?
    Battery depends on model, 5yrs for the 24, 8 years for the 30

Am taking one for a test drive next week
    Good luck, haven't driven one myself yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

@slave1: Are you in a mad rush to buy? 'Cause I reckon you'll be able to get an SE spec Ioniq for not far off that price come September.

Yes the same time to 80 % but the 30 Kwh at 80% is the same as the leaf 24 Kwh charged to 100% or close !

Indeed it's not on the market long enough but according to U.S owners in hot climates it experiences similar rate of decline as the 24 Kwh, what does that tell us here ? hmm not much but at worst it's probably not going to loose capacity faster than the 24 Kwh on this side of the Atlantic, time will tell.

Yes the 24 Kwh Leaf is tried and tested and ultra reliable. No reason to suggest the 30 Kwh would be any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Soarer wrote: »
    @slave1: Are you in a mad rush to buy? 'Cause I reckon you'll be able to get an SE spec Ioniq for not far off that price come September.

SE spec iconiq for 14k in sept?

Doubt it.

Soarer wrote: »

Overkill for our needs and I highly doubt they will drop ~£10k in 7months

listermint wrote: »
    SE spec iconiq for 14k in sept?

Doubt it.
    Overkill for our needs and I highly doubt they will drop ~£10k in 7months

Well if Hyundai release a bigger battery version in the meantime, plus a probable fall in sterling with the triggering of Article 50, it won't be too far off IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You can put all the ifs you want in a sentence, but it's not gonna happen, Soarer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

What is the VRT grant, Is that a grant for anybody buying an EV abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

b4bmm wrote: »
    What is the VRT grant, Is that a grant for anybody buying an EV abroad?
    The first €5k in VRT is exempt (which should cover 90% of imports - unless you're buying something higher end). There's also a €5k grant on the purchase of any new BEV within IRL.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

So the import doesn't have to be new buy, it could be second hand EV and can still avail of the 5k import concession?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

b4bmm wrote: »
    So the import doesn't have to be new buy, it could be second hand EV and can still avail of the 5k import concession?
    It needs to be used - someone else can jump in here if I've got this wrong but I think it needs to be a minimum of six months (?) old and have minimum of 6k km on the clock - something like that.

Either someone will come back and confirm - or you'll find the relevant info on a web search.

As isnottheword said, the car needs to be at least 6 months old AND have a minimum of 6k kms. If either of these conditions aren't met, the car is classed as "new", which means you have to pay VAT on this side. The VAT can be claimed back on the UK side too, but for an easy life, just stick to the conditions above.

Not in the garage yet (presume PCP returns?), 30kWh Acenta at £14k, no mention of flex...

Cheapest Leaf (non battery lease, first generation, 2011) on autotrader is now £6,300

Astonishing. Only a few months ago that was at least £1,000 less :eek:

What's happening here?

unkel wrote: »
    Cheapest Leaf (non battery lease, first generation, 2011) on autotrader is now £6,300

Astonishing. Only a few months ago that was at least £1,000 less :eek:

What's happening here?

Brexit/Sterling kicking in maybe?

There have been alot of annoucements over the last few weeks of major companies (Apple, Microsoft) increasing their prices in the UK by 25% due to the sterling and maybe its filtering to cars.

I know the Leaf is manufactured in Sunderland but it probably still sources outside the UK as well. The UK folks cannot get the same deals on new Leaf's as they could before. It all filters down to the 2nd hand market eventually.

I don't think there was any increase like that (20%) in any other say 6 year old cars, so there's that theory out the window :D

A hard brexit, with manufacturing / assembly moved out of the UK into an EU country will have a severe impact on prices in the UK though, unless they'll opt not to apply import duties. And why would they charge import duties if they're not getting any income from them now? So without new import duties, I can't see prices of parts / cars going up? Unless sterling devaluates drastically of course.

I don't think there was any increase like that (20%) in any other say 6 year old cars, so there's that theory out the window :D

A hard brexit, with manufacturing / assembly moved out of the UK into an EU country will have a severe impact on prices in the UK though, unless they'll opt not to apply import duties. And why would they charge import duties if they're not getting any income from them now? So without new import duties, I can't see prices of parts / cars going up? Unless sterling devaluates drastically of course.

It has already fallen 20%(70p in Nov 15 to 86p now). I think most would consider that drastic already! :)
    I have a friend who buys motor parts in the UK and resells here and prices have increased. It just depends on what the supply chain is.

The PCP deals in the UK are not as good as they were from Nissan a year ago. That will have a direct impact on 2nd hand Leaf resale as more people look towards 2nd hand rather than the more expensive PCP deals.

Any opinion yourself?

KCross wrote: »
    It has already fallen 20%(70p in Nov 15 to 86p now). I think most would consider that drastic already! :)

Making the figures fit your argument? :pac:

Sterling is higher today than it was just before the brexit vote. So it hasn't fallen at all yet. It most likely will happen though post the real hard exit.

Not sure what the impact from changes in UK PCP plans is, you could have a point there.

Making the figures fit your argument? :pac:

Sterling is higher today than it was just before the brexit vote. So it hasn't fallen at all yet. It most likely will happen though post the real hard exit.

Huh?

Brexit vote was 23 Jun 16. Sterling was at 76p then. Why do you say it hasnt fallen at all yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Advertisement