Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the recipe we've settled on which suits us is
    1.5-2tbsp olive oil
    250ml water
    450g flour
    1.5-2tsp salt
    1-1.5tsp sugar
    1tsp dried yeast

couldn't tell you how much that weighs, but it's enough for four small pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Muahahaha wrote: »
    12 inch pizza peel on Amazon reduced from £20 to £12.50, with Prime it works out at 12.22 euro because the VAT has been taken off. It doesnt have a foldable handle so bear that in mind for where you might be able to store it
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenCraft-Italian-Traditional-Pizza-Peel/dp/B01B382DJ8/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=pizza+peel&qid=1614357656&s=kitchen&sr=1-5

I have a very similar one from Amazon which generally does the job just fine. Also a similarly cheap wooden one for launching - also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭wba88

The Nal wrote: »
    Nice on think Ill pick that up.

Pizza tonight. First time since autumn. Dough rising nicely, Chianti decanting......

I have this one, a bargain at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

How come no pizza cooking since autumn? I remember you were at it loads last summer :D

Too cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Oven arrived today, anyone got a decent dough recipe?

Re Pizza app, us there no option for cold proofing?

NB, just noticed"Pizza App" has the option for cold proofing.

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Too cold!
    we used ours several times over the winter; i think the coldest at about 3C.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Do pizza ovens go on sale much?

I see the Ooni ones were on sale not so long ago but I missed it.

Worth waiting a few months or was it a once off?

And are there any other brands worth looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ooni have their Black Friday 20% off sale but I dont remember them ever having any other sales during the rest of the year so Id expect its November only and full price the rest of the year. Demand for them is through the roof so its unlikely they will discount them again until November.

I've seen the likes of Woodies/B&Q sell other brands of pizza oven, they have also popped up in Aldi/Lidl middle aisles during the summer. But I cant comment on how good they are. There is also a brand of pizza oven called Roccbox which a lot of professional caterers use but it is about twice the price of an Ooni.

If you are buying an Ooni someone here might be able to give you a 10% discount referral code which is at least a few quid off the list price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Do pizza ovens go on sale much? ?

Going by last year:-

Black Friday 20% discount
    Father's Day (UK dated one) from memory it was 15% discount
    Front Line Workers got 20% discount over the first UK lockdown - had to contact Ooni directly, show ID and then a single use code was given

I found an historical 20% discount code that worked by Googling. It's now invalid I think. It was PIZZAISLOVELY.

I've bought directly from Ooni a few times and they've followed up with a 10% discount code (one off use) for me to refer a friend. Once the friend redeemed it against a purchase then they sent on another 10% to me for my personal use. If I used it they sent me another (one off use) to refer another friend. And so on ...... I bought the double grizzler pan at the beginning of the year and I didn't get a referral code for a friend. So they may have stopped that practice.

Ooni have their Black Friday 20% off sale but I dont remember them ever having any other sales during the rest of the year so Id expect its November only and full price the rest of the year. Demand for them is through the roof so its unlikely they will discount them again until November.

I've seen the likes of Woodies/B&Q sell other brands of pizza oven, they have also popped up in Aldi/Lidl middle aisles during the summer. But I cant comment on how good they are. There is also a brand of pizza oven called Roccbox which a lot of professional caterers use but it is about twice the price of an Ooni.

If you are buying an Ooni someone here might be able to give you a 10% discount referral code which is at least a few quid off the list price.

To be honest I’m not in a mad rush so could wait until November. For 20% of it would be worth the wait to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pipmae

To be honest I’m not in a mad rush so could wait until November. For 20% of it would be worth the wait to be fair.

My sister and my friend both ordered on Black Friday 2020 and still haven't received their ovens. One ordered a Koda 16 and the other a Koda 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Just ordered a Ferrari pizza oven today, will be my first foray into homemade pizzas. Might upgrade when I get some practice in!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Just ordered a Ferrari pizza oven today, will be my first foray into homemade pizzas. Might upgrade when I get some practice in!

By the sounds of it, you better order your ooni now and by the time you’ve mastered pizza in the Ferrari it might have shipped!! :)

Pipmae wrote: »
    My sister and my friend both ordered on Black Friday 2020 and still haven't received their ovens. One ordered a Koda 16 and the other a Koda 12.

Damn! Sounds like patience is needed alright.

A lot of demand by the sounds of it.

To be honest I’ve pretty much perfected the oven version so I’m in no rush but wouldn’t mind giving into it.

My oven version attached. I used sourdough and then top with a mature cheddar and mozzarella.

If you're willing to buy second hand try setting up email alerts for one on Adverts and Donedeal, they pop up there from time to time but you have to be quick.I got mine off Adverts brand new in the box, it was an unwanted wedding present and a bargain at 150 quid.

Theres a brand new 16 inch Ooni pizza peel on Donedeal at the moment for anyone interested
    https://www.donedeal.ie/kitchen-for-sale/ooni-16-quot-metal-pizza-peel/27400114?campaign=14

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

If you're willing to buy second hand try setting up email alerts for one on Adverts and Donedeal, they pop up there from time to time but you have to be quick.I got mine off Adverts brand new in the box, it was an unwanted wedding present and a bargain at 150 quid.

Theres a brand new 16 inch Ooni pizza peel on Donedeal at the moment for anyone interested
    https://www.donedeal.ie/kitchen-for-sale/ooni-16-quot-metal-pizza-peel/27400114?campaign=14

50 quid for a 2nd hand pizza peel!! :confused:

50 quid for a 2nd hand pizza peel!! :confused:

in fairness its brand new in the box. I wouldnt be paying 50 quid for it myself but would say it could be got at a discount. Oonis EU shop charge 60 euro plus 20 euro shipping for the same pizza peel so it might be of use to someone here.

The prices/demand for Ooni stuff is insane though. Was just looking on ebay and there are people there selling Ooni pizza ovens for £500+, one sham has even listed one at £950 :eek:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=ooni&_sacat=0

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Just bumping the Irish Ooni Facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ooniownersireland/?ref=share

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

in fairness its brand new in the box. I wouldnt be paying 50 quid for it myself but would say it could be got at a discount. Oonis EU shop charge 60 euro plus 20 euro shipping for the same pizza peel so it might be of use to someone here.

The prices/demand for Ooni stuff is insane though. Was just looking on ebay and there are people there selling Ooni pizza ovens for £500+, one sham has even listed one at £950 :eek:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=ooni&_sacat=0

€58 from Meadows & Byrne incl. delivery with the discount code WELCOME15

1742468c1afc43c5faf5e4e2d1d5e581.png

https://www.meadowsandbyrne.com/ooni-16-pizza-peel.html

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Sad times this evening - got the first pizza out of the oven and it was gone out when I went back with the second one. Finally ran out of the gas I bought with the oven in April...

Luckily was able to lash the three remaining pizzas into the oven on the pizza stone. I didn’t think 62% hydration would be great at 270 degrees but in fairness it was really nice! I’d forgotten what pizza in the kitchen oven was like :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Folks unrelated question but my stone broke few days back and planning to get a pizza steel min 6 mm thick...any suggestion best place to source in dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Never heard of them before but they certainly wouldn't break in a BBQ!

Reading about them, they say that the main difference between stone and cast iron is the price - €20-odd for a stone, €90-odd for metal.

I'd Google your local iron gate supplier and ask them to make you one. If you're stuck, I do know a guy in Dublin 5 that makes all things metal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Himself got me a baking steel off amazon w/ free delivery, back when we ordered occasionally from amazon. they're a few kg so expect delivery to be spendy. Haven't tried it on the BBQ as we've been two stone in the oven folks for the last few years, and cooking the top is very important to our cheesey ways

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Just thought I'd share:

546935.jpg

Got the Ooni as a Christmas pressie and have religiously had Saturday night pizzas ever since. I've been thinking for a while about how to organise the Ooni and all its bits and pieces, and this is what I came up with. First trial run was tonight, and it went well.

I keep it in an indoor/outdoor space - it's sort of a tiny sunroom annex on the back of the house, not realistically big enough to sit in. With the windows open it makes a perfect pizza kitchen even on wet and windy days (or, as we call them here in Mayo, Saturdays).

oscarBravo wrote: »
    even on wet and windy days (or, as we call them here in Mayo, days).
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Just thought I'd share:

546935.jpg

Got the Ooni as a Christmas pressie and have religiously had Saturday night pizzas ever since. I've been thinking for a while about how to organise the Ooni and all its bits and pieces, and this is what I came up with. First trial run was tonight, and it went well.

I keep it in an indoor/outdoor space - it's sort of a tiny sunroom annex on the back of the house, not realistically big enough to sit in. With the windows open it makes a perfect pizza kitchen even on wet and windy days (or, as we call them here in Mayo, Saturdays).

Great idea. Someone posted a table they made on casters that I’ve asked my husband to make something similar for our oven which we are expecting to arrive in May. Can I ask you what the white things are that you’ve screwed into the table to keep the oven from moving? Looks like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

Just thought I'd share:

546935.jpg

looks fantastic, any details on where you got the tables and parts to fit them together, ikea ?

The tables are IKEA Lack coffee tables, €19 each. The white plastic bits I 3D printed - if anyone wants the STLs, I'm happy to share.

In extreme weather some rain can get in and puddle on the floor, so I'm planning to print wee "booties" for the legs of the bottom table. I can't see a Lack table lasting too long if its feet get wet. Lockable casters is something I hadn't considered, though, and would do double-duty.

Great set up oscarbravo. I especially love the rack on the right hand side to hang all the pizza peels on, its a very good use of space.

Given Iken Lack tables are something ridiculously cheap Im guessing you put this thing together for buttons?

• Advertisement

Probably about €50 all in, plus a small investment of time to design and print the plastic parts and assemble the whole thing.

Advertisement