Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Watched I care a lot on Amazon, very black with Rosamund Pike doing that psycho thing she does so well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Point of no Return – I always knew it as the Assassin. Aged horrifically. RTE have higher value productions.

Always knew it as "The Assassin" as well but remember being so confused when I saw Nikita on TV one night, I wasn't aware The Assassin was a very, very close remake of that movie.

You should give Nikita a look. I haven't seen either in probably almost 20 years but I remember it being better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

La Femme Nikita? Yeah, was Luc Besson.
    The Maggie Q Nikita series was really good as well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Breakdown'

Boring, middle aged, Bostonians Jeff (Kurt Russel) and his wife Amy (Kathleen Quinlan) are trekking across what appears to be Utah or Arizona on their way to San Diego to start a new life, when they nearly hit another vehicle on a lonely road. At a truck stop, later, Jeff has a confrontation with the man who was in the other vehicle and the couple's day goes rapidly downhill from there.

'Breakdown' is a perfectly serviceable 90's thriller, that's fairly efficient and a relatively suspenseful ride that's helped greatly by having Russell involved in the lead role. But he's no Snake Plisken here. Rather he's Joe Everyman complete with American middle management uniform of smart casual pastel polo t-shirt and chinos. He's as much out of place in his rural surroundings as he is in the set of circumstances he finds himself thrust into. But Russell lends a certain believability to Jeff, albeit in a firmly Hollywood way, as he steps up and does what needs to be done.

Russell is ably supported by Quinlan who does OK with what she has, and J.T. Walsh who slots, professionally, into another well handled part that was to be one of his final roles. The tension remains very tight throughout and even if it kind of gets a bit silly at its climax, as a lot of these films are wont to do, it's never less than decent entertainment.

7/10

'And Soon the Darkness'

A low budget British thriller from 1970 starring Pamela Franklin and Michele Dotrice (before she became Mrs. Frank Spencer) as two English nurses on a cycling holiday in Northern France where they find themselves briefly pursued by a stranger on a Lambretta. When the stranger passes them by they pause to sunbathe on the side of the road where they have a brief and instantly regrettable spat. Shortly afterward one of the girls disappears, leaving the other to try and find out what happened to her.

'And Soon the Darkness' benefits in no small way from having a certain tense feeling of being a foreigner in a strange country, although France is hardly that "strange". It's populated with characters that are slightly off kilter and there is a genuinely disturbing feeling throughout. One where the audience is invited to distrust everyone. It's a simple enough story, though, played straight and its conclusion is rather obvious. It's not a film that will blow anyone's mind and it offers little more than its atmosphere, when all things are considered. But it remains comparatively rewarding.

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Escape from Pretoria
    Watched this last night. Really enjoyed it. It's obviously a prison break one. But the actual way it's done is different than many typical breakout movies. Daniel Radcliffe will forever have Harry Potter on his back, but he did a good performance here. If you want something that's tense but easy on the brain, I'd definitely give the thumbs up here. A solid 8 out of 10 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Ingrid Goes West

Very enjoyable comedy drama about a young woman who gets lost in the world of Instagram and online influencers. Stars Ice T's youngfella and one of the Olsens and Aubrey Plaza. takes a good point and laugh at much of Hispster online influencer culture but also makes some more profound statements too.

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Ingrid Goes West

Very enjoyable comedy drama about a young woman who gets lost in the world of Instagram and online influencers. Stars Ice T's youngfella and one of the Olsens and Aubrey Plaza. takes a good point and laugh at much of Hispster online influencer culture but also makes some more profound statements too.

8/10

Ice Cube, unless you know something the rest of the world doesn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Skin

Drama centered around the rehabilitation of a middle American White supremacist Skinhead.

Not great but watchable in these times of scarcity.

On screen It looks good but the film just lost its momentum for me very early on and just felt boring and directionless. The film relies heavily on the fact that its subject matter is interesting regardless and this kind of keeps it just afloat, but the story itself is a bit pedestrian. I felt the characters were unrealistic in that the Skinheads were mostly irredeemably bad and very one dimensional.

If you like tattoos then you might enjoy it . They feature heavily.

6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Grosse Pointe Blank

It must have been 20 years since I last saw this. Interesting to see how it held up. Pretty well all in all.

Story for the few who may not have seen it is assassin goes home to his 10 year high school reunion. Meets the girl he stood up from prom, trys to patch it up and avoid a contract on his own life.

Cusack maybe plays the character a bit too cool/quirky. Dan Ackroyd is good as a rival hit man trying to get Cusack onboard to join a union. Minnie Driver is decent but I never really understood what people see in her. Still it was better than a lot of movies I have watched lately.

The soundtrack is excellent, if you are of an age :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

i care a lot with rosamund pike and peter dinklage from Game of Thrones

blacker than black comedy

really enjoyed it though i was beginning to feel quite depressed until the last scene rescued it and decency sort of won out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Psycho Goreman

Hilarious gory horror-comedy that's like early Peter Jackson meets Troma. If you enjoy those types of movies, this is really about as good as it gets - would advise not to watch a trailer though, just go in blind.

An easy 10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"55 Days at Peking" (1963)

Watched on YouTube over two nights. I would have seen it before, decades ago, but had largely forgotten the story.

A star studded cast including David Niven, Ava Gardner, Charlton Heston and John Ireland.

Official representatives of the big powers (UK, USA, Japan, Germany etc.) find themselves under siege in their legations during the Boxer Rebellion which swept through China between 1899 and 1901. The big powers were engaged in carving up China in much the same way as had been done in Africa and the Chinese Empress used the Boxers as a proxy force to try and drive the foreigners out of China.

It's not a bad movie and after watching it one can see why the Chinese are still paranoid about foreign powers. 5/10

Amores Perros (2000)

A really good film that I'd only viewed once and a long time ago so the re-watch meant that I'd forgotten enough of the story to view again! Iñárritu used a similar structure of intersecting stories in 21 Grams and Babel but this one in the Spanish language was the original. It's also the best. Great movie if you've never seen it. Such an accomplished first feature film.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245712/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

8.2 / 10

From my own collection on consecutive evenings "The Bourne Trilogy" with the first "The Bourne Identity" being the best. 10/10.

Over the last two nights the original "Bourne Identity" mini-series from 1988 starring Richard Chamberlain and Jaclyn Smith (Charlies Angels) - a totally different movie compared to the Matt Damon ones but watchable if you're not expecting the pace of the latter. Apparently, the mini-series sticks rigidly to the Robert Ludlum novel but not having read it I can't comment. The mini-series is available on YouTube. 7/10.

I'll be picking off the other two Bourne movies on DVD over the coming evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Watched Kid Detective based on this thread and really liked it.

I will say the actress playing Caroline would struggle to pass for a CW 16 year old, never mind passing for that age when all the other schoolkids actually look like schoolkids

The actress is currently 20, so say this was filmed a year or two ago, she wasn't that much older than her character.

The actress is currently 20, so say this was filmed a year or two ago, she wasn't that much older than her character.

By contrast,I was watching Map of Tiny Perfect Things last night. Main actress Kathryn Newton plays a teenager. She's 24 in real life. She wouldn't even pass as a 17 year old in the film . Looks more like 15.

Really enjoyable film though. It is a bit teenagey romance territory. But it's an emotional one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Watched the 3 Hangover films the last week. Some great laughs esp from Alan and Chow. Noticed the 2nd movie was like a soft copy of the 1st one with very similar scenes and dialogue. Bradley Cooper hands down done the best out of any of the actors in the series

I reckon the Alan character could of went to someone like Jack Black (in fact Jack Blacks character in Orange County was pretty similar) but Zach G made the character his

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

glasso wrote: »
    Did you catch the ads on Colombian RTE yourself whilst slurping an Ajiaco?

At the start of the film it did the usual "based on a true story" spiel.

I saw it in in a Bogotá cinema actually.

I didn't remember that part, but checking it now (It's on Youtube- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SI9c2d_qtk), I see that it did include that. But it used the far looser phrase "inspirada por hechos reales" (Inspired by true events).

Achebe wrote: »
    I saw it in in a Bogotá cinema actually.

I didn't remember that part, but checking it now (It's on Youtube- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SI9c2d_qtk), I see that it did include that. But it used the far looser phrase "inspirada por hechos reales" (Inspired by true events).

yes but the whole movie is based around / hung upon the tribe and its customs but that seems not to be true at all that they were heavily involved

Inspired seems stretching it at the very least

https://colombiareports.com/how-narco-movie-birds-of-passage-tramples-the-truth/
    The film’s onscreen announcement proclaims the story is based on “real events” alleged to have occurred between 1960-1980. However, the two major premises of the pic are patently false: No Peace Corps volunteer worked with the Wayuu until 2015. The Peace Corps was not working in the Guajira at all after 1967. The Wayuu themselves were nowhere near the region of the foothills of the Sierra Nevada where marijuana cultivation began, nor were they close to the port cities where it was often transported; they were in the desert far to the north — at that time an arduous day’s journey on land by two zigzagging buses or on sea by motorized canoe to the closest city.

Director Cristina Gallegos even admitted in a Colombian radio interview she specifically chose to use the Wayuu because their exoticism made it easier “to display the transformation of a traditional society, something we would not have been able to do if we focused on all the (mixed blood) arijunas so we decided to limit it to the Wayuu world.”

That's the strange thing. She looks older than the other kids. One of the few times they cast a young actress as a teenager and it would've been more believable casting a young looking 20 something, like Kathryn Newton as mentioned.

• Advertisement

"Operation Red Point" (1969)

A boredom watch on YouTube and while not a complete train wreck it comes close.

RAF plane with a top secret radar device crashes in Norway and falls into Nazi hands.

An allied team are sent to Norway to help local partisans destroy the "secret" device before it can be reassembled and sent to Berlin.
    Strangely, this is Norway as we have never seen it before i.e no snow and I mean none! The countryside closely resembles Italy rather than Norway which is unsurprising in a low budget Italian production.
    There's a cast of nobodys' emphasised by the fact that a bit player, Henry Silva, is the lead!

There's an unbelievable gaff at one point where two senior officers discuss the death of a man found on a beach - one officer produces a shell and says it's American and was dug out of the dead man! A shell - i.e. the spent cartridge case not the tip of a bullet - another allied "secret" weapon perhaps? :D

Veridict: Only watch if the test card isn't available.

The art of self defense

Not really sure what to make of this. Probably because the jury is out for me on Jesse Eisenberg. The movie is a black comedy on masculinity in the modern world. Guy gets beaten up and decides to take up karate on the back of it. In taking lessons he learns to stand up for himself leading him on a journey of self realisation. It is a bit patchy overall. 6/10

Office Space

Long time since I saw this. It's still brilliant. 9/10

olvias wrote: »
    Remember 2015 - 8/10

Christopher Plummer is great in this, as are the other actors.

Wow. That was interesting movie. Never heard of it. I thought it might be bit dull. But was gripping. Great performance by Plummer. Nice little twist to it. Wasn't expecting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Natural Born Killers

I'm going through some films in Tommy Lee Jones's filmography which brought me to this film. I felt like my brain was on fire for two hours. I can tolerate a lot of different film making styles but the unrelenting onslaught of frenzy and hyperactivity was too much for me.

There is some interesting albeit not very subtle commentary about the media's exploitation of true crime. And Juliette Lewis's character's backstory being told using the device of a faux sitcom is obviously curious in context of WandaVision.

The core concept of a psychologically damaged couple on a murderous rampage through rural America could be told in an infinite variety of ways and styles, but this particular movie is one I don't think I could ever tolerate watching again.

That being said, it seems to hugely depend on personal tastes. This is illustrated by its Wikipedia page that shows it appears on some critics' best of 1994 and also some other critics' worst of 1994.

^
    Always thought it was an absolutely awful movie. Never understood the praise it got.

Here it had the notoriety of bring banned. And a very strict ban. Not even sure when it was lifted but they had lifted the ban on other films like Exorcist long before. Also since it had Tarantino and Oliver Stone's names attached, it was likely a film people didn't want to admit disliking.
    I remember TV3 tried to show it but had to pull it. Found this article about that from 2000
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/tv-drops-film-after-threat-of-legal-action-1.238977

I also remember Channel 4 showing it around the same time and we could watch it then if we wanted.

I've never seen it though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Here it had the notoriety of bring banned. And a very strict ban. Not even sure when it was lifted but they had lifted the ban on other films like Exorcist long before. Also since it had Tarantino and Oliver Stone's names attached, it was likely a film people didn't want to admit disliking.
    I remember TV3 tried to show it but had to pull it. Found this article about that from 2000
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/tv-drops-film-after-threat-of-legal-action-1.238977

I also remember Channel 4 showing it around the same time and we could watch it then if we wanted.

I've never seen it though

The story was from Tarantino but apparently he hated the end result. He said
    I hated that ****ing movie. If you like my stuff, don't watch that movie

Here it had the notoriety of bring banned. And a very strict ban. Not even sure when it was lifted

It couldn't have lasted that long cos I remember seeing it on video in the mid 90's and being mightily disappointed.

I'm going through some films in Tommy Lee Jones's filmography which brought me to this film.

Why would you inflict such pain on yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar
    I thought this would be trash but it was great fun. I love stupid comedies and this is very stupid, in a purposeful and good way.

3.5/5

The Conversation
    Coppola's film with Gene Hackman from 1974 was on BBC iplayer so I stuck it on and really enjoyed it. Hackman is very much underplaying the role, possibly the shyest he's ever been on screen and it serves to the performance. A young Harrison Ford pops up in a rare darker, and mysterious role which I liked to see. Highly recommend.

4.5/5

Minari
    I loved this film. The child actor steals the show.

4.5/5

Wildlife
    This is a great little drama by Paul Dano, written by him and Zoe Kazan. I found it a very sad watch just in seeing a family begin to disintegrate while the only child in the family has this failing optimism that things will get back to normal. Newcomer Ed Oxenbould is perfect find for that role. This is a film that lingered with me.

4/5

French Connection II
    I always remembered seeing Empire back in my teenage days given both these films 5/5 so I was looking forward to seeing how the sequel held up to the first, but I found it disappointing. Popeye's character doesn't age well with time.

2.5/5

The Warriors
    I've long meant to watch this movie, and while it doesn't quite live up to the imagery I've seen throughout the years of painted faces, gangs with baseball bats and muscles looking for a fight, it was still a good entertaining B-movie. The set up is my perfect kind of Friday night movie plot. The acting is wooden, but in a way that is stylistic when seen nowadays, the action is ropey and is what let me down. I looked it up afterwards and it was made and released within a year of being green-lit so I think that gives it a bit of a pass for that achievement for a 70s film.

3.5/5

Class Rank
    Enjoyable, but I expected something akin to Election so maybe my standards were too high.

3/5

Advertisement