Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

bkrangle wrote: »

Wow - that would be the biggest re discovery in Zoology for a long time!!:eek:

Read recently too that Wolves on Japan may not be totally extinct either despite the last confirmed being shot over 100 years ago

Pleased to see a Red Kite joining 5 buzzards circling my parents house outside Naas 2day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Pleased to see a Red Kite joining 5 buzzards circling my parents house outside Naas 2day:)

We thought we saw one last summer after just coming off the N7 at the Straffan exit. Hopefully you get a breeding pair and further expansion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Wow - that would be the biggest re discovery in Zoology for a long time!!:eek:

Read recently too that Wolves on Japan may not be totally extinct either despite the last confirmed being shot over 100 years ago

Well, there goes that. :(

https://mobile.twitter.com/collieennis/status/1364085222715842560/photo/1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably three dozen frogs in the pond in the back garden, and a dozen in the front garden pond this morning. i only put the front one in (it's maybe 1.5m wide at its widest point) to give the frogs which make it to the front garden somewhere to shelter in dry weather, but they've certainly made use of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

New Home wrote: »
    The upside is that I now know what a Tasmanian pademelon is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HoteiMarkii

Looking out the office window just now and saw a Blue Tit with a Small Tortoiseshell in its beak. Most mornings here this little guy can be seen shadow boxing with his own reflection in car door mirrors. I think there's a pair of them about, who may be looking to nest somewhere close; they became very vocal earlier this morning when a Great Tit was flitting about their favourite Hawthorn. Spring would appear to be on the way, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭fiacha

Certainly feels that way.
    Robin, Blackbird and Hooded crow all collecting materials from the garden over the last week. Bullfinch eating the buds on the hawthorn.
    Queen bumblebees out foraging. Birdsong from dawn 'till dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

A couple Blackbirds singing this evening spring is on it's way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Love Spring, birdsong and the dawn chorus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I heard a great spotted woodpecker drumming in my garden yesterday. They visit my peanut feeder regularly, scattering the little birds.

Thrilled to have them around, still such a novelty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

needs to be viewed in full screen and HD; the fungi this chap has been photographing are stunning. he's based in australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Went to visit my mother today, my late father built a 3 tier pond system in the garden a few years ago which is now teaming with frog spawn. It took all my might not to take a small jar of it back to my own pond, good things come to those who wait, or so I kept telling myself today :pac: :pac:

dropped my wife out to where her horse is stabled, 30km there and back in the car (we're allowed outside 5km for animal care reasons).
    between the drive out, five minutes at the stable, and the drive home, i saw one red kite and at least seven buzzards. at one point, we could see three buzzards and the red kite at the same time.

now, that's a good haul for 40 minutes in the car, but only ten years ago that would have been extraordinary to see.

dropped my wife out to where her horse is stabled, 30km there and back in the car (we're allowed outside 5km for animal care reasons).
    between the drive out, five minutes at the stable, and the drive home, i saw one red kite and at least seven buzzards. at one point, we could see three buzzards and the red kite at the same time.

now, that's a good haul for 40 minutes in the car, but only ten years ago that would have been extraordinary to see.

Experienced something similar yesterday near my parents place in North Kildare - a kettle of 7 buzzards over a quarry being mobbed by an irate Peregrine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Recently discovered the series Earth from Space which RTE are showing at the moment but I think it's a BBC product?

Best nature doc that's come along in several years IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

needs to be viewed in full screen and HD; the fungi this chap has been photographing are stunning. he's based in australia.

You undersold it Magicbastarder... incredible images!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭boccy23

I have run out of peanuts. Before i buy a big bucket, when is it normal to stop feeding these and fat balls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

boccy23 wrote: »
    I have run out of peanuts. Before i buy a big bucket, when is it normal to stop feeding these and fat balls?

The advice now is to feed birds all year, although I find they don’t eat as much during the warmer months.

I only feed fat balls during extreme cold. Usually I supply peanuts and sunflower hearts in the feeders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭appledrop

I saw a small tortoise butterfly on my walk this evening.

It must have came out of hibernation with the nice weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Chiffchaffs singing since monday in the south west and a few bumble bee queens making a move. Saw 2 butterflies out cycling today too. Not able to identify them.

Haven’t seen a single bumblebee yet. The sight of the first queen is always my highlight of Spring, that and the first time you see them feeding off something you planted just for them. I look forward to it every year!

I noticed a pair of bluetits using one of our nest boxes today. It was supposed to be more of a decorative box than a real nest on our patio and I never imagined they’d actually go for it as it’s facing directly south so I thought it would be too hot a site for them, nonetheless they seem happy with their new home!

was trying to think of some table quiz style questions for friends' kids, as much to educate as to be interesting themselves.

e.g. a bit advanced, but 'name as many native irish species which have repeated names in their latin binomials as you can'? e.g. common wren, badger, buzzard - and then got wondering myself how many there actually are!

Looking at the INpictures week in wildlife on the Guardian website and I had skin shudder, stomach turning when I saw the picture of the "Polarbear Hotel" in Harbin. We need to protect wildlife from ourselves....

Spring spotting, I saw my first redbutterfly and ladybird 2021 on my canalbank walk on tuesday....

Haven’t seen a single bumblebee yet. The sight of the first queen is always my highlight of Spring, that and the first time you see them feeding off something you planted just for them. I look forward to it every year!
    We've had two trapped in our conservatory in the last week. The queens fly in the open door, and then can't find their way out again without a bit of help from me, a glass and a bit of cardboard :)
    I noticed a pair of bluetits using one of our nest boxes today. It was supposed to be more of a decorative box than a real nest on our patio and I never imagined they’d actually go for it as it’s facing directly south so I thought it would be too hot a site for them, nonetheless they seem happy with their new home!
    Noticed a bluetit checking out our camera nestbox today too.

pottokblue wrote: »
    Looking at the INpictures week in wildlife on the Guardian website and I had skin shudder, stomach turning when I saw the picture of the "Polarbear Hotel" in Harbin. We need to protect wildlife from ourselves....
    That doesn't surprise me at all. From my experience the average Chinese tourist has little to no respect for nature or wildlife.

I actually came to blows with a Chinese man while on holiday in NZ in 2019 who was trying to shine a torch at, and poke a little blue penguin that was hiding under his campervan with a broom so he could get a picture of it. They were making their way from the water to a place on the campervan park where they nested, plenty of signs all over the place warning people not to disturb them. and we were made aware of the situation when we checked in.

Plenty of other examples on the same holiday too.

Clocked the first Chiffchaff of the year yesterday near my parents place in North Kildare. They are always the first of our summer visitors to arrive and always in and around the week of Paddy's day

I tried to give my 2 garden robins a porridge oats breakfast thismorning but the 2 magpies beat them to it.

• Advertisement

Interesting program advertised on RTÉ for Sunday, “Back from the Brink”. Looking at the return of wildlife such as the red squirrel.

I usually can’t cope with watching nature or David Attenborough style programs as they’re always so upsetting but nice to see a positive story for a change, think I’ll give this one a watch.

Advertisement