Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Cooking Disaster Thread

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Oh err, doesn’t sound like it’s cooked. Did you brown the chicken in a pan beforehand? What setting did you have the slow cooker on?

I didn't brown beforehand as the receipe didn't call for it, the video showed raw chicken going in. It called for it to be cooked on low for 5 hours. The error must have been mine as people rave about it:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

I think slow cookers vary a lot in what temps they reach, I have two, one of them I call my fast cooker as it keeps stuff bubbling away at what looks to be similar to having it on a hob temp even on low, on high I treat it and cooking times the same as a saucepan.

In that video the sauce is clearly bubbling, I know my second slow cooker would not generate bubbles at all on the lower heat. Maybe try it again and do it on high and see how it goes, might be an idea to try it some day you are at home for the full time so you can see exactly how long it takes to cook so you can judge whether you have a fast or a slow 'slow' cooker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Something to watch for with slow cookers: mine has three settings - Low, Medium and High. The Low setting doesn't actually cook food at all, it just keeps it warm. So if a recipe calls for cooking on Low, that means Medium on my slow cooker :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There was no flavour and the chicken was barely warm
    The ingredients looked quite bland, only 1/2tsp of chilli, I would be using literally 10 times that.

The chicken will release moisture so I imagine it ended up quite watery. A trick I do is sometimes deliberately do not stir up the coconut milk, open the can and scoop out the hard stuff separating it from the liquid.

If it is mixed up too much it could be boiled up in a saucepan on its own to reduce it, then when cooled a bit add it to the slow cooker, so as not to be overcooking the chicken in boiling coconut milk.

As said all slow cookers will vary. I think some are not even thermostatically controlled so could have varying temps depending on the temp of your room. I would be checking with a thermometer. The recipes should really give temps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

rubadub wrote: »
    The ingredients looked quite bland, only 1/2tsp of chilli, I would be using literally 10 times that.
    That would depend massively on the chili powder you're using. The stuff I use, if I used 5 tsp in a dish, it'd be inedible :)

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    That would depend massively on the chili powder you're using. The stuff I use, if I used 5 tsp in a dish, it'd be inedible :)

Yep, that's another thing the recipes should ideally be stating. If they do not state it I presume it to be standard supermarket stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm going to echo what another poster said and say that I don't really think that chicken has any place in a slow cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'm going to echo what another poster said and say that I don't really think that chicken has any place in a slow cooker.

Yeah was thinking the exact same myself and that video above was the first time Ive ever seen a slow cooker recipe for chicken. Slow cookers are for tough cuts of meats like beef shin, stewing beef, etc so it seems strange to be putting tender cuts like breast of chicken into one. I dont see any advantage in cooking chicken in one for 4 or 5 hours when about 10 minutes on a hob would have it cooked in the sauce.

Im guessing the reason behind it is some food bloggers just needing more and more 'content' for their Youtube channels so they come up with this crap. Its kind of like those Instant Pot videos where they pressure cook a full chicken and it comes out yellow and slimey and then they have to move it to the oven to crisp it up anyway. Like whats the actual point of using two devices to cook a single chicken? It is double the hassle and double the clean up afterwards for no advantage. Yet food bloggers do it just to create new 'content' :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Alun wrote: »

What type of chilli powder do you use?

I find that the supermarket stuff has no kick, so I grind the dried birds eye ones from Tesco. They are super hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I got some nice steaks which I was going to flambé on an iron cast-pan. I had some Christmas Cognac all lined up. Kids were watching for the spectacle of the flambe...

I heated the pan, put the steaks on, cooked for 2 mins and then splashed on what may have been a little too much Cognac and lit it.

Cognac lit gently initially, but the flames started roaring up as the oil caught fire, smoke billowing from the pan. I turned on the "extractor", which was one of those air-filter things, to try catch the soot, but it sucked the flames into the filter...

...the flames burned the filter which held the filter charcoal in, dumping the thousands of little charcoal granules out onto the grease-guard underneath. The grease-guard then contorted and gave-way, dumping all of the charcoal onto the pan below extinguishing the flames.

Three nice steaks now were crispy-black with tens of lumps of char attached with a smattering of burnt plastic and the kids had evacuated into the sitting-room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

10-10-20 wrote: »
    I got some nice steaks which I was going to flambé on an iron cast-pan. I had some Christmas Cognac all lined up. Kids were watching for the spectacle of the flambe...

I heated the pan, put the steaks on, cooked for 2 mins and then splashed on what may have been a little too much Cognac and lit it.

Cognac lit gently initially, but the flames started roaring up as the oil caught fire, smoke billowing from the pan. I turned on the "extractor", which was one of those air-filter things, to try catch the soot, but it sucked the flames into the filter...

...the flames burned the filter which held the filter charcoal in, dumping the thousands of little charcoal granules out onto the grease-guard underneath. The grease-guard then contorted and gave-way, dumping all of the charcoal onto the pan below extinguishing the flames.

Three nice steaks now were crispy-black with tens of lumps of char attached with a smattering of burnt plastic and the kids had evacuated into the sitting-room.

I think I would have cried! Hope you, your kids and your kitchen have recovered. Take away tonight? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thewolfisloose

Minder wrote: »
    Back in the day I used to flat share. One saturday I wanted to make a chilli, but when I got to the shops in the evening, there was no minced beef. There was a packet of minced venison so I thought what's the harm? I got home and made up the chilli. As I was cooking my flatmate arrived home with his girlfriend. We were all due to go out but he wanted to make a meal before going to the pub. Since the kitchen was a bit pokey, I offered to share the chilli, telling him it was made with venison. He accepted.

I finished the sauce, made a pot of rice and served it up to the other two in the living room. As we were tucking in, I said "tastes a lot like beef, doesn't it". My flatmates girlfriend, Karen, stops in mid forkful... "What'd mean, it tastes like beef. If its not beef, what is it? "Venison", I said. Whats venison? Deer. I didn't ask how expensive it was, what meat is it, says she. Deer meat. Blank look. Deer, you know, like bambi! I said helpfully. To say she was a little distressed would be an understatement. My flatmate had forgot to mention to his beloved that it was a venison chilli. I think she politely pushed it around the plate for a bit longer before declaring herself full....

Bless her, I think she went vegetarian not long after that.

I love red meat, but an incident involving a Lidl Kangaroo steak set me straight on the black beans for about 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Corvo

I tried my first ever slow cooker recipe, a Brazillian coconut chicken curry and it was crap. There was no flavour and the chicken was barely warm and seemed kinda slimey (it wasn't pink). Quite disappointed as it seemed like it might be lovely.

I’ve done this Scott Baptie recipe and my god it was the blandest thing I’ve ever made so you are not alone. I ended up squeezing about 2 lemons into it just to try bring it back to life. To no avail.

I don’t know why I tried it when I regularly make curries from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    What type of chilli powder do you use?

I find that the supermarket stuff has no kick, so I grind the dried birds eye ones from Tesco. They are super hot.

East End extra hot chili powder, I get it in my local Asian store in 100g bags.

https://images.app.goo.gl/gfRvG3iqiEaqyzua9

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

God! That's awful.

Although, I must admit I was laughing reading it as I was visualising it like it was a scene from Mr. Bean.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BaZmO* wrote: »
    God! That's awful.

Although, I must admit I was laughing reading it as I was visualising it like it was a scene from Mr. Bean.

Yup, I had sympathy and laughter in equal measure!

It was nicely written!

the kids had evacuated into the sitting-room.
    I was sure it was going to end with something like "but at least the kids enjoyed the scene, they were clapping and cheering".

Scary stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Made gyozas tonight, wrappers from scratch and all. Flavour was good but the texture of the dough when boiled was so slimey and slippery it made my skin crawl. Think I’ll just buy wrappers next time. Not sure it’s worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Corvo wrote: »
    I’ve done this Scott Baptie recipe and my god it was the blandest thing I’ve ever made so you are not alone. I ended up squeezing about 2 lemons into it just to try bring it back to life. To no avail.

I don’t know why I tried it when I regularly make curries from scratch.

The same. I reguarly would make a Thai green curry, kofta curry etc but said I'd try something which might take a bit less time. It was shockingly bland. I ended up just throwing it out, which I felt guilty about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

The same. I reguarly would make a Thai green curry, kofta curry etc but said I'd try something which might take a bit less time. It was shockingly bland. I ended up just throwing it out, which I felt guilty about.

I had that recipe earmarked to try sometime, but think I'll skip it now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This was rescuable to something entirely edible, but be aware of ingredients listed in very old recipes

early 70s Madhur Jaffrey recipe specified "one (or two small) tinned tomatoes, chopped" - by which she meant take one tinned plum tomato out of the tin, and chop it up

Not, as someone reading that recipe now might assume, "one (or two small) tins of chopped tomatoes" - thinking of the American thing of using double sized tins of tomatoes

Rather too much tomato and way too much liquid to evaporate off later...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Corvo

I had this feeling for a long time that "long cooking time = great taste" which certainly isn't the case for this disaster of a dish.

Reckon we stick to how we are doing curries as they are...:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I decided to make fondant potatoes for our fish dinner. Had them simmering away in a lovely buttery garlicy rosemary-y broth. But I checked on them half way through and was afraid they were on too low a heat and wouldn't be ready at the same time as the fish. So I whacked up the heat... and burned the arse off them! Picture of the burnt bits I scrapped off.

Fcuk it anyway...

I'll sooth my bruised ego with jelly and ice-cream later.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 495 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

First attempt at cannoli this morning, didn’t quite bubble up the way I wanted and then couldn’t get them off the tubes. Fired the whole lot into the bin.

I’ll go back an attempt them again once I’ve calmed down.

Advertisement