Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

einn32 wrote: »
    I remember research I noted a few years ago stating that a calf drinking colostrum straight from the cow allowed for the highest level of antibody absorption then feeding the calf colostrum in the presence of the mother and finally feeding the calf alone exhibited the lowest level of antibody absorption.

https://www.progressivedairy.com/topics/calves-heifers/colostrum-pasteurization-pros-and-cons#:~:text=Pasteurizing%20colostrum%20appears%20to%20increase,unpasteurized%20colostrum%20with%20similar%20IgG.

Supposed pros and cons of pasteurizing colostrum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

blackdog1 wrote: »
    SaskDutch Kid on YouTube had a bit on it recently when showing their calf rearing facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Is that the dcad type system you're doing with gypsum? Might it be harder to achieve on silage only with high k and varying mineral levels?

Yes Dcad.
    For that reason drys don’t get any legumes/hay or bicarbonate, just green maize and sorghum silage that we know the K analysis of. Works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

blackdog1 wrote: »
    No not that I noticed , calves did very well on it. I would pasteurize the biestings and then store them in one of these

https://www.fanevalleystores.com/categories/cattle/calf-products/calving-essentials/products/68539/Perfect-Udder-Colostrum-Kit-with-50-Bags

after that id keep pasteurizing the milk and feeding it for 14 days. Calves were shining but it was a lot of work because I was only using a small one. also you have to defrost the biestings at a certain temp to not damage them...this goes for non pasteurized too.If you were dumping alot of antibiotic milk I would recommend one if you can afford it as you can then feed the milk to calves without and residues.

Jayzz and here we are still messing with Tupperware..how 20th Century.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭jaymla627

SaskDutch Kid on YouTube had a bit on it recently when showing their calf rearing facilities.

Robbed his idea re the individual calf pens, using plastic pallets with interlocking cow mats on top instead of just concrete, its amazing watching his videos how 240 cows are able to support so many jobs on farm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭straight

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Robbed his idea re the individual calf pens, using plastic pallets with interlocking cow mats on top instead of just concrete, its amazing watching his videos how 240 cows are able to support so many jobs on farm

If he did the lean course in dairygold he'd be able to manage them all on his own no bother. All he wants is a few whiteboards and a few stickers.

jaymla627 wrote: »

They've great help alright. You wouldn't want any lesser facilities with that climate. His mother's accent was a bit strange in Canada but given his handle name it shouldn't have been. :p

He's in my five watched channels. The others being Farmer Phil, Tom Pemberton, ifarmwefarm, farming life in la forge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

They've great help alright. You wouldn't want any lesser facilities with that climate. His mother's accent was a bit strange in Canada but given his handle name it shouldn't have been. :p

He's in my five watched channels. The others being Farmer Phil, Tom Pemberton, ifarmwefarm, farming life in la forge.

You must have some battery on your phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

straight wrote: »
    If he did the lean course in dairygold he'd be able to manage them all on his own no bother. All he wants is a few whiteboards and a few stickers.

Post of the season.
    :D:D:D

You must have some battery on your phone!

Ruffian. Who watches YouTube on a phone? :p

That's what television is for. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Getting closer to turnout

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Interesting contrast on two stories on Agriland, Pallaskenry looking to go to 500 cows:
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/the-aim-is-to-milk-300-cows-an-hour-through-the-50-bail-rotary-parlour/

And Owen and Mimi Crawford in Cloughjordan milking 12 cows:
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/organic-farming-was-a-given-cloughjordan-couple/

Lot of herds out around here yesterday, also some beef stock. Looks a good week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,052 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I let my cows out today

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

whelan2 wrote: »
    I let my cows out today

Same here, as early as they have ever been out. Long may it last.

RedPeppers wrote: »

I dont think it will last but good for woman/ man and beast

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

I let my cows out today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

I let my cows out today

Mine should have been out today but I hadn't got the fencing sorted. They will get there tomorrow and if not they will on Wednesday.

Grueller wrote: »
    Mine should have been out today but I hadn't got the fencing sorted. They will get there tomorrow and if not they will on Wednesday.

I always let them off to a big silage field, no wires for the first few days. I just empty the drinkers and let them out. Gives me time to sort out fences in paddocks

Am I the only one that finds it more work to actually leave out the cows? Trying to get out of the yard to get the water system going, paddocks set up, fertiliser spread. Its alot of extra work at this time of the year. Mine are out now but I dread when they go back in that they might crash in production. They were flying before they went out as they only started calving in Feb. I've 74% calved in the past 4 weeks. No calves gone yet. calving should slow down now. I'm looking forward to 8 solid hours sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

straight wrote: »
    Am I the only one that finds it more work to actually leave out the cows? Trying to get out of the yard to get the water system going, paddocks set up, fertiliser spread. Its alot of extra work at this time of the year. Mine are out now but I dread when they go back in that they might crash in production. They were flying before they went out as they only started calving in Feb. I've 74% calved in the past 4 weeks. No calves gone yet. calving should slow down now. I'm looking forward to 8 solid hours sleep tonight.

Nope, your spot on, always the way, another job that you often don't have time for, going down to let cows back in at 10pm is always painful also. The trick is knowing when its not worth the effort, marginal ground conditions and more rain due in a day or so, you could let them out for 2 or 3 grazings but you'd barely see the benefit in the milk tank before its too wet and they are back inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

DAFM have extended the TB testing requirement for calves over 42 days old to 120 days old until 1st of June for herd to herd movements from non restricted herds. Calves going for export still need a test if they go over 42 days.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/calf-tb-testing-flexibilities-extended-into-june-606342

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

can a calf have tb??

never heard of a calf with TB

can a calf have tb??

never heard of a calf with TB

Have heard it happen from a vet.

Camera traps were set up and it turned out it was from a badger going into the calf house for meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I have heard of a case where calves 3 /4 months showed up t.b. while the it did not show up in the cows skin test but it did in the blood

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Still flatout busy here, but what a difference a week makes, cows out fulltime finally (yep I'm very lucky to be able to take that for granded in March), and offloaded about 20% of the calves, and 1st round of fert out. Sourced more straw also, was looking properly stuffed for that last week also ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Cows out fulltime as well, some slurry out, let out the maidens but making plans for tues rain in case it goes to pot.
    Good to get em out but you'd be half anxious as well with cold nights, a few cows starting bulling, maidens running laps etc that all would be well in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mickey1985

Lads i have an issue with my washdown pump. Water is going through but pressure is weak. Is there anything I can do to improve this only new from last year.

mickey1985 wrote: »
    Lads i have an issue with my washdown pump. Water is going through but pressure is weak. Is there anything I can do to improve this only new from last year.

Get someone to look at changing the capacitor in the motor. Sounds like it's getting lazy and needs replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Might be stones pebbles in the jet inlets on it, that's usually the reason here when pressure gets bad

• Advertisement

Make sure it's getting enough water. Could be algae or stuff clogging it up.

Advertisement