Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Finally finished the BJ Penn video if you guys are interested. Fair warning... its 26 minutes long lol
    Bloody nightmare of a video to make. Kept having to re-edit it to try and avoid copyright blocks on it, which meant re-rendering it every time, and then trying to upload a 2GB file after my ISP has hobbled my upload speeds meant i spent about 6 or 7 hours alone just re-uploading it... pain in the arse. Bloody UFC is like a ninja with its copyright strikes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Thats a pity cause those videos surely only helps the brand unless you are slating them

Beersmith wrote: »
    Thats a pity cause those videos surely only helps the brand unless you are slating them

Guess they figure at this point they dont need promotion from small fry youtubers! And i mean i only take the piss a bit in the videos.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Overeem and JDS have parted with the UFC seemingly. Don't think it's officially announced yet but they've been removed from the rankings.
    Surprised on the Overeem one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Overeem and JDS have parted with the UFC seemingly. Don't think it's officially announced yet but they've been removed from the rankings.
    Surprised on the Overeem one.
    they are there now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Guess they figure at this point they dont need promotion from small fry youtubers! And i mean i only take the piss a bit in the videos.. :D

I think the strikes are automatic. Bots just scan the videos for data that matches a copyright database

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Very surprised at overeem being cut, rarely in a bad fight although his effort v volkov was one of his worst
    He's still relevant in the he div though.

Jds well past it and hasn't the beating of any decent fighter right now along with 4 straight ko defeats

I guess though with both earning over 400k per fight and more than the likes of ngannou it makes sense letting jds go anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Dana clearing out the division for jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

With Overeem, his record is still good and he had some great outings in his last few. Would've thought he had a few more in him though and people like watching him fight.

Won 6 of this last 10, and the losses are against top level guys, and the Rosinstruik fight he was winning until that KO at the literal last momen of the fifth round.

Wonder will he hang it up or go elsewhere now.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I think the strikes are automatic. Bots just scan the videos for data that matches a copyright database

That... would make a lot more sense :D

Man sad to see JDS and Overeem go. Two HW legends. JDS was one of my favourite fighters back in his prime. And even tho i never liked Overeem at first, i always found him too cocky and he always looked so smug, in the last few years he kinda pulled a Bisping on it for me, he just never gave up and really earned my respect and i grew to really like him. An era of HW gone forever now. Horse meat Ubereem was an absolute unit

If he ends up in Bellator we may see the return of Ubereem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

As per my comment yesterday they are still in the rankings

I was reading it on Twitter last night and it mentioned them being removed from the rankings, that obviously wasn't true. Yet.
    JDS has commented on his release but nothing from Overeem yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

How many fighters have went up/down a weight class to compete for the title, and ultimately lost?

JamieHP wrote: »
    How many fighters have went up/down a weight class to compete for the title, and ultimately lost?

Do you mean that were current champs of the divisions or ex champs or never champs?

Not many have gone down/up and gotten an instant shot.

Loads have changed a division and eventually gotten shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

Do you mean that were current champs of the divisions or ex champs or never champs?

Not many have gone down/up and gotten an instant shot.

Loads have changed a division and eventually gotten shots.

Yes! Meant to say champs, that went up or down, and fought instantly for the title!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

JamieHP wrote: »
    Yes! Meant to say champs, that went up or down, and fought instantly for the title!

Correct me if this is not a complete list..........

BJ Penn v GSP - Lost

McGregor v Alvarez - Won

DC v Stipe - Won

Nunes v Cyborg - Won

TJ v Cejudo - Lost (Unique in that TJ was actually coming down in weight)

MrStuffins wrote: »

BJ Penn v GSP - Lost

McGregor v Alvarez - Won

DC v Stipe - Won

Nunes v Cyborg - Won

Cejudo going up and winning bantamweight

GSP winning the middleweight title i would think counts

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cejudo going up and winning bantamweight

GSP winning the middleweight title i would think counts

I wouldn't count GSP. He wasn't champ at the time and had a huge lay off beforehand so could put the weight on slowly and be a proper MW as opposed to a WW fighting at MW.

Holloway Poirer 2 was for the interim 155 belt. Holloway lost that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Holloway Poirer 2 was for the interim 155 belt. Holloway lost that.

Holloway was set to fight Khabib for the belt too, but they stopped his weight cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Was just coming on to post about that.

I love his breakdowns and work on BT.
    Very disappointing news, wonder what the hell happened and did he actually do anything wrong or is it Dana being a dick. He already had beef with him over the Herb Dean incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

It's over Laura Sanko getting something ahead if him iv been reading online but could alll be bollox.

I loved all but BT stuff myself

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Izzy is the first champion to go up as champion & fight for a title and lose

BJ Penn was champion when he went up to fight GSP but GSP was not the champion

BJ Penn v GSP - Lost

McGregor v Alvarez - Won

DC v Stipe - Won

Nunes v Cyborg - Won

GSP was not champion when he fought BJ he won the belt in his next fight v Hughes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

ASOT wrote: »
    It's over Laura Sanko getting something ahead if him iv been reading online but could alll be bollox.

I loved all but BT stuff myself

Its not Laura, she released a statement saying its nothing to do with her

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

GSP was not champion when he fought BJ he won the belt in his next fight v Hughes

At UFC 94?

At UFC 94?

Ah my bad somehow I'm getting details from the first fight and second one mixed up

Your correct so then Izzy and Bj are the only two to have lost as undisputed champions going up to fight for the title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When BJ moved up as champ. GSP was also champ. BJ lost.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement