Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

RTE showed a drama (not sure if it was a mini series or one off) called Raic in 1985. It was mostly in Irish and set in the West of Ireland during the Emergency. Anyway the only bit about it that really sticks in my mind was the opening scene where a German mine is washed up on the shore and the locals, who dont seem to know what it is, all gather around and start rolling it up the beach. You see a close up of one of those spike things on the mine as it touches the ground and theres a massive explosion. Next you see body parts all strewn all over the beach and an old woman who's still alive screaming.

I remember Raic. It was shown on Stephen's Day 1984 - maybe repeated the following year?

132011626_2990026924558911_1217692231196081612_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=O0fzus-OzDgAX-b-9Hu&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-1.fna&oh=a7a7f06bbd26c743f4f18b8fb52643ea&oe=6045558A

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Purgative wrote: »
    Hangdogroad that does intrigue me.

Sadly couldn't find it on RTE player and IMDB has rather scant details.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1890514/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

RTEs neglect of their drama archive has been well documented here on ATR. I wouldnt hold my breath on that turning up unless someone videotaped it off the telly and it gets loaded to youtube.

I remember Raic. It was shown on Stephen's Day 1984 - maybe repeated the following year?

132011626_2990026924558911_1217692231196081612_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=O0fzus-OzDgAX-b-9Hu&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-1.fna&oh=a7a7f06bbd26c743f4f18b8fb52643ea&oe=6045558A
    Nice one, that must have been when I saw it.

RTEs neglect of their drama archive has been well documented here on ATR. I wouldnt hold my breath on that turning up unless someone videotaped it off the telly and it gets loaded to youtube.

The Brits do it so much better.
    I am nearly finished watching Play For Today Volume 1 BD which is seriously enjoyable - especially the one set in Ireland, Your Man From Six Counties (Brenda Fricker & Donal McCann). The second volume will be out later this year. There is nothing to stop RTE putting out an equivalent of their 70s and 80s drama but they won't bother or will hide behind "the actors' contracts don't allow for home video releases" which has got to be the worst cop-out excuse ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Not a lot of kids programmes on RTE on that Stephen's Day, compared to what you would get now

Having said that, they did have the first episode of The Box Of Delights which was a proper high budget fantasy BBC series

• Advertisement

I love the disclaimer on Leave It To Mrs O'Brien
    "By kind permission of the Abbey Theatre"

I think Isobel Mahon appeared in the next couple of episodes. Seriously fit at the time; lots of lads in school talking about her.

Theres actually a promo for Raic on here beginning at the 13:20 mark, I had a funny feeling it was on this upload as I've watched it before. Unfortunately the picture quality is shocking. Theres a mine in this scene but it's not the opening I mentioned, this bit occurs later on. I mainly remember it for the line in English about hens ****ting.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I remember watching The Pony Express as a kid - I loved it. I just looked it up there - it seems to have been called The Young Riders, a group of riders who worked for the Pony Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭cml387

Brogeen Follows the Magic Tune.

A puppet series from the Lamberts, shown on RTE in the summer of 1969.

All wiped by RTE but this remnant exists courtesy of NRK Norwegian TV

cml387 wrote: »
    Brogeen Follows the Magic Tune.

A puppet series from the Lamberts, shown on RTE in the summer of 1969.

All wiped by RTE but this remnant exists courtesy of NRK Norwegian TV

NRK have the whole series in their archives though the original audio was dubbed over into Norwegian. RTE could show this, new audio could be re recorded but they wont bother their hole. Contrast this with the BBC who've shown lost episodes of Morecame And Wise that were found in Nigeria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

spurious wrote: »
    I saw that on some station recently while channel-hopping, so someone is still showing it.
    It's on ITV4 every day, before the Sweeney.

I used to love watching Pajo's Junkbok - once Pajo went off air never heard of him again. I'd love to know what happened to him. Is he in a box somewhere in the basement of RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

bobdcow wrote: »
    I used to love watching Pajo's Junkbok - once Pajo went off air never heard of him again. I'd love to know what happened to him. Is he in a box somewhere in the basement of RTE?

The last time I saw him was in 2014 on this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

What happened to Zuppy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

madmaggie wrote: »
    What happened to Zuppy?

Died in a freak yachting accident. It was very sad

Has "Monkey" been mentioned? It was on sky in the early 90's. It was about a ninja monkey trying to save the world. It was dubbed to English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

bobdcow wrote: »
    Has "Monkey" been mentioned? It was on sky in the early 90's. It was about a ninja monkey trying to save the world. It was dubbed to English.

Loved Monkey... My brother & I watched it in the late 70s on BBC (could have been early 80s)

A Mothers Loves A Blessing, one off tv play written by Pat McCabe and shown by RTE in 1998. Very dark and funny as you might expect from the author of the Butcher Boy. Dont think its ever been repeated and it hasn't so far shown up online.
    Edit: it was 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Anyone who had Sky in the early 90s might remember they used to show this on a regular basis, it was already about ten years old at this point and boy did it look it. The main one on it was a tidy bit of gear dodgy perm aside.

• Advertisement

Anyone who had Sky in the early 90s might remember they used to show this on a regular basis, it was already about ten years old at this point and boy did it look it. The main one on it was a tidy bit of gear dodgy perm aside.

Sky was great in early 90's for showing absolute crap. Remember Love at First Sight with Bruno Brookes

ShyMets wrote: »
    Sky was great in early 90's for showing absolute crap. Remember Love at First Sight with Bruno Brookes

Jaysus, yes. I was trying to remember the name of that and the mullet haired host. I remember one fella who appeared on it and in the chit chat bit where they're being introduced Bruno asked him something like had he ever had any dating disasters and yer man said "I once married a black woman who went off with all my money".

Does anybody remember The Protectors. Early 70's series staring Robert Vaughan. Made by Lew Grade so very much in the mould of his other shows like The Persuaders and Department S

The plot is somewhat ludicrous. Vaughan is a self made millionaire who also just happens to be part of group called the Protectors. Who are tasked with protecting the people of the Earth. Throw in exotic locations and lots of pointless car chases and you get the gist of the show

It's nonsense but very enjoyable nonsense non the less

Does anybody remember The Protectors. Early 70's series staring Robert Vaughan. Made by Lew Grade so very much in the mould of his other shows like The Persuaders and Department S

The plot is somewhat ludicrous. Vaughan is a self made millionaire who also just happens to be part of group called the Protectors. Who are tasked with protecting the people of the Earth. Throw in exotic locations and lots of pointless car chases and you get the gist of the show

It's nonsense but very enjoyable nonsense non the less

Great fun
    ITC shows of that era are brilliant. Have them all on DVD from Network.
    Nyree Dawn Porter = legend

Great fun
    ITC shows of that era are brilliant. Have them all on DVD from Network.
    Nyree Dawn Porter = legend

Below is a list of some of ITC's best known shows in the 60/70's. There are quite a few cult classics

The Saint, Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), Danger Man, The Baron, Gideon's Way, The Champions, The Prisoner, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, Stingray, Joe 90, Man in a Suitcase, Strange Report, Department S, The Persuaders!, Jason King, The Adventurer, The Protectors, Space 1999, and Return of the Saint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭George White

Don't forget the instantly forgotten Skiboy!

Below is a list of some of ITC's best known shows in the 60/70's. There are quite a few cult classics

The Saint, Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), Danger Man, The Baron, Gideon's Way, The Champions, The Prisoner, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, Stingray, Joe 90, Man in a Suitcase, Strange Report, Department S, The Persuaders!, Jason King, The Adventurer, The Protectors, Space 1999, and Return of the Saint.

Preferred the B&W Saint; better scripts. Return Of The Saint was a favourite from childhood.
    Randall and Hopkirk is hilarious
    Danger Man great in both short and long episodes
    Gideon's Way excellent scripts. Great London footage.
    Man In A Suitcase was tough watch - Richard Bradford excellent.
    Strange Report good fun.
    The Baron worth watching for Sue Lloyd
    The Champions spectacular looking
    Peter Wyngarde was brilliant in both Department S and Jason King

Because most were shot on film, they still look great today.

The music is also fantastic - Network have released great CD sets covering all music cues and library pieces.

ITC also involved in
    The Four Just Men - a crack commando unit :) - WWII veterans getting together some years after the event to put things right
    Man Of The World - early 60s with Craig Stevens as the globe-trotting photographer with the exotic assignments
    Ghost Squad - pretty entertaining assignments all over Europe. Plenty of intrigue.
    The Zoo Gang - not seen this for years, Macca did the theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭thereitisgone

Anyone remember Mr Ed, the talking horse in the 1980s
    Was on pretty regular

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Anyone remember Mr Ed, the talking horse in the 1980s
    Was on pretty regular

Mr Ed was great, bit earlier than the 80s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Prisoner Cell Block H.

Ive no reason for why i liked it :)

Advertisement