Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ongarite wrote: »
    The flavour/texture of milk, butter, cheese from winter feed would be different to summer/autumn grass grazing

If they're going to age it for 24 months you'd think they'd only use milk from the good time of the year

The wax coated mature cheddar cube at Christmas was lovely. Definitely one to look out for in 9 months' time :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Darc19 wrote: »
    Do any of the people who moan about fruit veg actually look at it before buying or do they wear their masks over their eyes?

I've never had a problem with aldi or Lidl fruit and veg, but I'll always check it, look at the stalks, check underneath and if unsure, I won't buy.

Same in Tesco. An extra few seconds is all you need

Generally, I find Aldi better than Lodl for the veg / fruit offer as regards quality. (Marks and Spencer is the best)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Christmas

9 months' time :)

Oh no you didn't

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've had one of those Cheddar Cheese Bakes with Chorizo in my fridge for ages - had it just now as a very late brunch with crusty baguette from the oven. I was starving.

My God, it was gorgeous! Possibly the most unhealthy thing I'll eat all week, but worth it all the same.

I hope they weren't just a Christmas thing, that's a very nice standby treat to have stashed away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

The Specially Selected Vienna loaf (made in Mayo) is lovely. For pre-packaged bread, it tastes quite fresh :) Would be lovely accompaniment to soup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I've had one of those Cheddar Cheese Bakes with Chorizo in my fridge for ages - had it just now as a very late brunch with crusty baguette from the oven. I was starving.

My God, it was gorgeous! Possibly the most unhealthy thing I'll eat all week, but worth it all the same.

I hope they weren't just a Christmas thing, that's a very nice standby treat to have stashed away!

They have them all year round - I love that chorizo one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

Kamili wrote: »
    Have you actually had anything delivered to parcel Motel/Wizard from Aldi UK? I tried this before and the address was blocked and they wouldn't allow me order delivery to it for either of those services.

I wonder if anyone has successfully purchased from Aldi.co.uk?

An order using Addresspal (with GB address) goes through, but 30 mins later the payment is reverted. Have also tried using AddressPal as billing address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Did anyone pick up the pappardelle pasta in the black box for 99c?
    It was absolutely delicious , normally but it at €4 buy not too often / but Aldi shoppers will know how infuriating it is when these things disappear again 😱😱😱

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

They have them all year round - I love that chorizo one :)

I’ve had that many of them now, I could set up a shop selling the little pots.

I bought what I thought was the cheddar and cider one home.

There were squares of stuff in it, which I later discovered was chorizo.

I’m vegetarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

anewme wrote: »
    I’ve had that many of them now, I could set up a shop selling the little pots.

I bought what I thought was the cheddar and cider one home.

There were squares of stuff in it, which I later discovered was chorizo.

I’m vegetarian.

What section are these in? Sounds like my kind of comfort food. Didn't find them in the smaller Aldi near me today, will try the bigger one tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

tscul32 wrote: »
    What section are these in? Sounds like my kind of comfort food. Didn't find them in the smaller Aldi near me today, will try the bigger one tomorrow.

They are down near the cheeses, theres 3 I think, cheddar and cider, chorizo and I also jalapeno.

They are addictive.

3.99 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

anewme wrote: »
    They are down near the cheeses, theres 3 I think, cheddar and cider, chorizo and I also jalapeno.

They are addictive.

3.99 each.

Brilliant, thanks. Will look for them in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Has anyone seen the packets of Spanish tapas which has pepperoni, salami and prosciutto in it? Have looked for it two weeks in a row now in two different Aldis and no sign of it. Shame if its discontinued as it was good for pizza toppings and was the perfect amount for two pizzas.

Also the jars of jalapeno peppers must be missing almost six months now, not sure whats going on there. I think Lidl is the same or at least I cant see any in there either the odd time Im in.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the packets of Spanish tapas which has pepperoni, salami and prosciutto in it?

You might find them with the Italian products.

Do you mean in the fridges near enough to the cheese? Thats where it always was but it wasnt to be found there. They do have other individual packets of pepperoni, chorizo and proscuitto but the Spanish tapas one with all three in it seems to be gone, at least for the last two weeks anyway. I looked at the shelves and there is no price label for it there either so theres a chance its discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Do you mean in the fridges near enough to the cheese? Thats where it always was but it wasnt to be found there. They do have other individual packets of pepperoni, chorizo and proscuitto but the Spanish tapas one with all three in it seems to be gone, at least for the last two weeks anyway. I looked at the shelves and there is no price label for it there either so theres a chance its discontinued.

No, I just meant that none of those things are Spanish so you might be looking in the wrong place.

ah right I get you. Theyre not in their normal position near the cheese anywhere and there are other packets of Spanish meats there. Hopefully they are not discontinued but Ive been buying them for the last year and this is the first time they havent been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭obi604

Any of ye tried the cinnamon buns?
    Never noticed them before until recently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

obi604 wrote: »

They are too nice! I couldn't be bringing them home I'd eat both in one sitting

lassykk wrote: »

Lol

Have they always been in Aldi? Or only launched recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Lol

Have they always been in Aldi? Or only launched recently?

I actually only happened on them from a recommendation from this thread. It was probably sometime in the last six months I saw the recommendation but can't be sure how long they've stocked them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭con747

I actually only happened on them from a recommendation from this thread. It was probably sometime in the last six months I saw the recommendation but can't be sure how long they've stocked them

They have been in stock a long time, most people like to microwave them for 15-20 seconds to give them that bit extra!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Has anyone tried Aldi the Click and Collect service... seems to have been added to my local store in the past week and I'm intrigued :)

Yep - twice now and it's been great. Only complaint was ordering whole free range chicken, it being out of stock and not getting a substitute. Popped in to the store and they had free range breast and normal whole chicken so surely one or the other would have been sensible to offer!

Springwell wrote: »
    Yep - twice now and it's been great. Only complaint was ordering whole free range chicken, it being out of stock and not getting a substitute. Popped in to the store and they had free range breast and normal whole chicken so surely one or the other would have been sensible to offer!

did this not defeat the purpose of click and collect
    is it more so for people who dont want to go in to a store due to covid?

did this not defeat the purpose of click and collect
    is it more so for people who dont want to go in to a store due to covid?

100% it did but the store took the feed back well when I explained. I'm hoping they might add a "substitute with this item" box like Tesco have

Springwell wrote: »
    100% it did but the store took the feed back well when I explained. I'm hoping they might add a "substitute with this item" box like Tesco have

:)

Actually, I guess click and collect is for people who want to save time shopping too.

:)

Actually, I guess click and collect is for people who want to save time shopping too.

Mix of both - I'm front line so don't like exposing people to me and I hate the time waste of going into the store so click and collect on the way home from work is ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

Opened a pack of the new recipe cool flavour tortilla chips last night. They truly are very bad. I guess 'cool' flavour is in no way a defined flavour as they have gone from tasting like what americans call ranch (buttermilk, salt, garlic, onion, mustard, herbs, and spices) to flavour on the back being described as garlic, tomato & cheese. Definitely something I won't be buying again there unless changed back.

Yeah the new recipe for those tortilla chips made them go down hill. Theres other ones there in the black bags, srriacha and chilli or sea salt and lime are the options. Theyre almost twice the price but are actually edible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Those buns are ok. Nothing to get excited about to be honest, they don't taste or feel like proper cinnamon buns and the icing overpowers the cinnamon flavour. Won't buy them again.

Advertisement