Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Instant pot

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

SBn1jm9
    LizT wrote: »
    I made peanut chicken using this recipe
    https://www.feastingathome.com/instant-pot-peanut-chicken/

It was fab and so quick and easy to make.

my version. first time using peanut butter and honey. will do it again. Haven't got an instant pot but am interested once i find out more
    https://imgur.com/a/SBn1jm9

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Faith wrote: »
    It looks like a great recipe, but man that site is a good example of the need for the website someone posted recently, that strips all the waffle out of recipe posts!

Its gotten ridiculous lately, people just want the recipe and not the authors life story.

I always just scroll straight to the bottom, it saves on reading a thousand words of waffle

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Faith wrote: »
    It looks like a great recipe, but man that site is a good example of the need for the website someone posted recently, that strips all the waffle out of recipe posts!

Yeah it’s so ridiculous. She starts talking about Hindus and Muslims living peacefully alongside each other. Just give me the recipe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭con747

Just hit the "jump to recipe" button and bypass it all.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

con747 wrote: »
    Just hit the "jump to recipe" button and bypass it all.

That should be mandatory for all food blogs. God, they talk some sh1te!

• Advertisement

Well I wont be having the peanut chicken tonight after this disaster here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116384896&postcount=369

Fuming!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Oh no :(

It’s definitely worth giving it a go again when you can face it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Well I wont be having the peanut chicken tonight after this disaster here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116384896&postcount=369

Fuming!

Time to change the game a bit.
    Make a pizza base and use this as a topping!

Oh no :(

It’s definitely worth giving it a go again when you can face it.

yeah am doing a big batch of chilli at the weekend but I'll get back to that peanut chicken recipe hopefully towards the end of next week. Ive a whole bag of cashew nuts there for it so theres not much else they would get used for than for that or a kung pao chicken and Im kung pao-ed out lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I made peanut chicken using this recipe
    https://www.feastingathome.com/instant-pot-peanut-chicken/

It was fab and so quick and easy to make.

I'm going to (attempt) to make this today :)

I'll be using 4 chicken breasts (cubed)... anyone know how long I'll need to pressure cook for to ensure everything is cooked ok?

Also, is it ok to make in advance and use the 'keep warm' function (for about an hour or so) to save it until we are ready to have dinner...

• Advertisement

The recipe says 8 minutes at high pressure for breast of chicken and then let the pressure release naturally. The Keep Warm function works fine anytime Ive used it.

Let us know how you get on as Im going to have my second attempt to make it during the week now Ive got a proper tin opener :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm going to (attempt) to make this today :)

I'll be using 4 chicken breasts (cubed)... anyone know how long I'll need to pressure cook for to ensure everything is cooked ok?

Also, is it ok to make in advance and use the 'keep warm' function (for about an hour or so) to save it until we are ready to have dinner...

I’ve cooked whole chicken breasts in the instant pot and been really surprised by how quick it was. Whole, i think they were done in about 4 minutes. Cooking for too long made them rubbery (they were only for my cat to be fair). If the chicken is already diced, it would be quicker again. It’s trial and error though - I steamed mine so it might take longer when cooking in the way the recipe suggests with coconut milk etc.

You can use the keep warm function if you have no other choice. They might just be a bit tough and stringy at the end, because for safety the temp stays quite high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The recipe says 8 minutes at high pressure for breast of chicken and then let the pressure release naturally. The Keep Warm function works fine anytime Ive used it.

Let us know how you get on as Im going to have my second attempt to make it during the week now Ive got a proper tin opener :o

Ok, so I made the peanut chicken and here’s how it went. I set the timer to 16 minutes for 3.5 chicken breasts cubed (approx 21oz) with natural pressure release for 10 minutes; the chicken was tender and nicely cooked. I served mine with microwaveable coconut rice from Aldi and raw baby spinach.

I wish I had included some vegetables... I had peppers and onions to hand, but as it was my first recipe I was afraid they’d create excess water and/or would cook to nothing....

I followed the recipe to a T and included everything aside from the chilli/sriracha....I’m not into spicy foods, but I think the chilli would have been a nice addition for depth of flavour.

Overall, I really liked it. The others I made it for were not the biggest fan of the dish... but they’re usually into plainer foods like lasagne, shepherds pie, meat and 2 veg type dinners :P

If anyone has any other recipes that you’d recommend that are easy to prep/cook? Please send them my way :)

I’m liking the idea of chilli..... or one pan rice meals....

I’m also delighted to have finally made something since buying the IP at the end of last year! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Great title to this thread I thought it was a rapid plant growing thread....

I made the chicken peanut recipe tonight. I didnt have any chilli paste so just substituted with some thai birds eye chillis which gave it a nice kick. Also threw in some julienned carrots and the green of some spring onions to add a bit of interest. And finished it with some cashew nuts bashed with a rolling pin which gave it nice crunch.

Must say it was very nice and Id make it again. Only made enough for two portions on this run but next time out I'll up that to 4 or 5 and freeze a few.

Just wondering does anyone here use their Instant Pot as a rice cooker and how does it do? Is it a 1.1 ratio of water to rice and how long do you put it cooking at pressure for when doing plain long grain white rice? Cant find my instruction book but sure it was in there

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I use mine almost exclusively as a rice cooker, tbh. I usually wash the rice well and do a 1:1.5 ratio of rice to water but I usually cook sushi rice so it's better with a stickier texture. You would probably do 1:1 or 1:1.25 for long grain. I then cook for 4 minutes and do a natural pressure release for as long as I need for the rest of the meal to be ready. Historically, I've cooked for as little as 2 minutes with a full natural pressure release, or 4 minutes with a rapid pressure release and it has tended to be fine either way. For ratios, I use an actual plastic cup so it's a volumetric measurement, rather than weight.

ah great thanks for the ratios, I was worried about getting them wrong and either getting a burn notice or worse. I stupidly went and bought a rice cooker from Amazon on impulse as I had a £5 voucher that needed to be used. And when it arrived only then I remembered the IP is also a rice cooker. So I'll be using it as that tonight and provided it goes well the rice cooker will be going back, pointless having two of them in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have a microwave rice cooker, cost a fiver in Aldi. It's the way to go if you have a microwave.

2:1 is the ratio I use (by weight), always comes out perfect, and means you can use the IP for cooking your stew/curry etc.

yeah I have one of those too and thats what Ive been using up until now but just decided on impulse to get an Russel Hobbs rice cooker. as I had a £5 voucher to use on Amazon and nothing else to buy. Used it and its no better than the microwave one but also it takes 18 minutes to cook two portions of rice whereas the microwave one has it done in 10. Plus it has a fill line that is etched in black metal and almost impossible to see. So I asked Amazon to return it and they gave me a refund and said no need to send it back.

Used the IP to cook rice last night and it did good but no real difference to the microwave one. And given the IP stays in the press when not being used I'll just use the microwave one going forward as its less bulky and easier to wash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭squonk

I’ve a second instant pot I use for rice mainly. It’s a smaller model, maybe the 3 or 4 liter one. Usually I do 1:1 or 1:1.1. Generally I use the rice program with a pint glass filled to a point with rice, and another filled to the same point or just a tad higher with water. Spot of salt and some oil and bung it in the instant pot. I did invest in the non stick pot as it works a little better for rice but no huge issue with the regular pot either. The rice program usually takes 12-14 minutes with 5 min natural pressure release.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ReturnOfThe

So I am an Instapot devotee and use mine every day cooking for 4 people and I thought I would share a curry recipe aka lentil dahl that I consider bullet proof and easy to make. I also use the pot for soups/stews/pasta dishes but this is the one recipe that everyone agrees is the tastiest.

So ingredients/tools for enough sauce for 4 people ( IMO)

Wooden spatula or spoon

500 ml of veggie stock 

150gm of red lentils (preferably rinsed under tap quickly)

1 diced onion

1 diced carrot 

1 chopped celery stalk

sliced/diced thumb of ginger

3-4 cloves of garlic

vegetable oil (enough to cover the bottom of pan)

honey or brown sugar

Now the method..

saute mode

add oil 

add onion+carrot+celery+ginger+garlic all together 

sweat veggies for about 5 minutes. Add more oil if it starts to stick but try to keep it moving around with the spoon.

Now add two teaspoons of ordinary curry powder (I use Batts Medium Curry powder and its fine) 

Again, the curry powder will start to stick quite quickly so just keep scraping the bottom with spoon.

After about 30 secs you will feel that you are losing the battle in keeping the curry from sticking so now chuck in few splashes of veggie stock and deglaze.

Once you feel pan bottom clear and nothing stuck, throw in all of the lentils. Again just stir around for a minute or until you think it is starting to stick again and then just throw in the rest of the stock.

Now squeeze in as much honey as you like (or tablespoon or 2 of brown sugar).

Close lid and set pressure cook to 5 mins.

After 30 mins, if it hasn't vented naturally then release remaining pressure.

Sauce will be quite thick at first but after a couple of stirs will be perfect. I find the lentils negates the need to add coconut milk and gives it that creamy takeaway curry feel without the extra calories.

Enjoy ! Feedback or improvements welcome..

If you like Indian this Instant Pot cookbook has some great recipes in it, have done the butter chicken and chana masala in the IP and both turned out really well

https://pdfcoffee.com/indian-instant-potr-cookbook-urvashi-pitrepdf-pdf-free.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

There's browser addons that skip all that for you. You don't even have to locate and press a "skip" button.

Firefox.

Chrome, if you're into that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Ive had my instant pot for around 2 years now and determined to use it more this year. I have a couple of go to recipes I pull it out for and I no longer cook rice in a pan, only use the instant pot for it.

I'm looking for any recommendations for a pork fillet in the instant pot. Have been googling around and havent found anything that jumps out at me so looking for anything people might have tried. I also have some wild mushrooms I could use - but also could use them in a risotto later in the week.

Advertisement