Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas TV 2021

• 22-02-2021 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭

BBC Two and BBC iPlayer have announced The Mezzotint, a ghost story for Christmas based on the M. R. James short story and adapted for television by Mark Gatiss. The haunting standalone drama is made by Can Do Productions and Adorable Media, and will air this December.

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2021/the-mezzotint-announcement

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Celebrity Bake Off starts on Channel 4 at 8pm on Tuesday 8th March. Not really christmas related but I always consider GBBO as a solid stepping stone on the lead in to the most wonderful time of the year & this is always worth a watch too.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Celebrity Bake Off starts on Channel 4 at 8pm on Tuesday 8th March. Not really christmas related but I always consider GBBO as a solid stepping stone on the lead in to the most wonderful time of the year & this is always worth a watch too.

Christmas starting early this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭StevenToast

First to say that this years Christmas TV will be the worst of all time...

I Guarantee it!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

I Guarantee it!

Christmas TV has been poor for a long time now. The odd special aside (e.g. gavin & stacey) its been poor fare for as long as I can remember. Cant see that changing anytime soon either. But we can live in hope!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

I Guarantee it!

That would be very disappointing:( but maybe understandable due to Covid 19 restrictions placed on production crews.

I hope its not the case though:)

Perhaps you have some insider information, given the certainty of the last sentence in your post:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Of course Steven Toast has some insider information! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,949 ✭✭✭DenMan

I hope we see more of the new Worzel Gummidge specials on the BBC this year. Mackenzie Crook plays him. Last year we got one episode due to Covid filming restrictions and in 2019 we got two. I love them. They're filmed during the summer you can tell, possibly around August/September.

Three episodes expected in 2021 according to the Wikipedia page. Fingers crossed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worzel_Gummidge_(2019_miniseries)

DenMan wrote: »
    I hope we see more of the new Worzel Gummidge specials on the BBC this year. Mackenzie Crook plays him. Last year we got one episode due to Covid filming restrictions and in 2019 we got two. I love them. They're filmed during the summer you can tell, possibly around August/September.

Three episodes expected in 2021 according to the Wikipedia page. Fingers crossed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worzel_Gummidge_(2019_miniseries)

I used to love John Pertwee as Wurzel many years ago:D I didn't realise there was a new series, let alone that episodes had been aired:confused:

I wonder are they available on the iPlayer. Thanks for the heads up.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Call the Midwife cast begin filming Christmas special

Short video with
    Fred dressed up as Santa

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/call-the-midwife-series-11-christmas-filming-newsupdate/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The X-Factor is officially cancelled, no surprise but it's official now, I know it's ran it course and got stale, but I'll always will have fond memories of it as it was an early indication that Christmas was coming when it started back.

• Advertisement

On that note, August usually brings GBBO... i know it was later last year but it was my understanding the shooting schedule was normal in terms of time this year so we may see it in its normal slot... always a solid stepping stone im looking forward to it coming back.

Oh, can't beat a bit of GBBO! 😁

Ah, I remember X-Factor back in it's heyday; you wouldn't go out on a Saturday night because you'd miss it.

Or pubs coming to a standstill as the results were announced... different times indeed.

Bit like Big Brother back in the day. I remember being in a pub when the final episode of the first one was on and every single person was watching it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I might be in the minority here but I'm glad X Factor is finished, it's just a money making machine for Cowell and because for years there the winner of the show got to have the Christmas no.1 every year I think it stopped a lot of good songs getting to the Christmas no.1 spot and maybe it stopped bands and songwriters bothering to make and release new Christmas songs?

We haven't exactly been snowed under with new classic Christmas songs in the last twenty years and maybe this show was a factor? (get it 😉)

Funnily enough the tournament we had here for the best post 2000 Christmas song opened my eyes to how many great songs were released in that time, I agree that the no.1 spot was ruined by xfactor winners for a spell but to be fair we have had some fantastic new songs in that time too.

Gas thing is we stopped watching it long before it ended and I couldn't name any of the last 4 or 5 winners.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

And the Xfactor rarely produced a number 1 at Christmas in the last 5-10 years it was on. The gimmick wore off very quickly.

Yeah, I stopped watching it in the last few years. You'd never hear of the winner again after their hit 'Christmas' single.

At least BGT has a bit of variety, which can be both a bad thing and a good thing. 😂

I for one wouldn’t morn it finishing. Might get the TV back now on a Sat night!!

First three contestants for strictly announced on the One Show tonight at 7pm.

Another indication Christmas is coming 😃🎅🏻

• Advertisement

A few changes this year. Anton has been confirmed as a judge (replacing Bruno) and a few of the dancers have moved on also. Looking forward to this starting though.

I understand that these types of programmes are all loved and heavily followed, but apart from the fact they are milestones on the way to "the most wonderful time of the year" 🎅, I have no interest in them 😶 A visit to the dentist is more appealing😂 but each to their own.

Wouldn't be a massive fan myself however the OH loves them and has got the eldest into watching the dancing ones so i generally end up watching bits and pieces.

Each to their own as they say.

We got into the habit of watching strictly with the kids when they were young (not like we were going out much of a Saturday night when they were that small) and as they got into it we ended up also. Some years are better than others admittedly, usually depending on the 'celebs' taking part. But as someone who was always a big fan & enjoyed dancing (not ballroom btw) I have to admit I enjoy seeing the dances as the competition progresses and the standards improve. As said above though, its not everyone's cup of tea & that's fine, each to their own. Christ, there's people out there who love Mr's Browns boys & Love Island... I cant wrap my head around that kind of garbage at all & like yourself would find a visit to the dentist more appealing than inflicting that kind of stuff on myself.

Ah maybe that's what's wrong, I have two absolute left feet and couldn't dance to save my life😂 Enjoy the shows folks. Life is far to short to be listening to idiots like me😀

Don't be silly, if we all liked the same thing (other than Christmas of course) life would be veeeery boring!

Oh, interesting. I've always thought Anton would make a decent judge! 🙂 Bruno can get on my wick at times with his shenanigans. 😂

A solid stepping stone on the run in... starting 25th Sept.

I thought it was brilliant how they managed to carry on last year with relatively little disruption!

• Advertisement

Advertisement